Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 3rd Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue anyone? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bart Walczak

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: 3rd Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue anyone?         Reply with quote

If any of you is in posession of the 3rd Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue, I would greatly appreciate a copy or a scan of Ewart Oakeshott article on the war swords which supposedly is there. At least the author alludes to it in his "Sword in Hand".

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards
Bart Walczak
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue anyone?         Reply with quote

Bart Walczak wrote:
If any of you is in posession of the 3rd Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue, I would greatly appreciate a copy or a scan of Ewart Oakeshott article on the war swords which supposedly is there. At least the author alludes to it in his "Sword in Hand". Thanks a lot for your help. Best regards Bart Walczak

Hi Bart

I have that issue and will scan it for you later tonite !

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Tue 06 Jan, 2004 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bart

Upon pulling out my copy of the 3rd Park Lane issue I find that the Oakeshott article within is entitled "Beati Omnipotensque Angeli Christi" ( Blessed and Omnipotent the Angels of Christ ) , which is an article concerning sword inscriptions ( some medieval) !

Was this what you were interested in ? ( as Mr. O did many articles for the Park Lane Arms catalogues )

I think I confused the War Sword title with the one from his Sword in Hand book !

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Bart Walczak

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only info I have is:

"The matter of their [great swords] early appearamce, I went into in considerable detail, in an arrticle in the Catalogue of the Third Parl Lane Arms Fair, which I expect many readers will have seen, so I won't use up precious space here to go over the same ground again." (SiH p. 90)

It doesn't say much, does it?

I am especially interested in the origin of the great sword, so if you come upon any other article on the subject, maybe that will be the one.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Bart
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Oakeshott in The Park Lane Arm Fair Journal         Reply with quote

Hello Bart and Mac

Ewart wrote an article in each of the Park Lane Arms Fair Programs untill last year. There are several good articles dealing with the medieval sword. He was a great friend to David and one of the individuals behind the fair and its excellent reputation for quality and research. I have a current full set of the programs and I know many back issues can be ordered from Mr Oliver. If any one needs details let me know and I can post them to you. I do not remember off hand if that article deals with the subject but I am sure we can track down Ewart's reference.

Best
Craig
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got the following 12 issues of The Park Lane Arms Fair , which I'll list the title, of the article Mr. Oakeshott 's wrote , next to the issue number !

I plan on getting the rest of the issues I'm missing to complete my set !

Truely an excellent resource for the student of Arms & Armour, Mac

The Park Lane Arms Fair

# 1 - Further notes on a River-Find of 15th Century Swords (1984)

# 3 - Beati Omnipotensque Angeli Christi (Blessed and Omnipotent the Angels of Christ) (1986)

# 4 - The "Sempach" Family of Swords , and another entitled, A Man-At-Arms of the late Fifteenth Century (1987)

# 5 - The Paragon of England (1988)

# 6 - The Fitzwilliam Armoury co-authored by David Oliver (1989)

# 7 - Bastard Swords (1990)

# 13 - Swords, Warlords and Fish (1996)

# 15 - The Templers and the Church (1998)

# 17 - The Sword of Can Grande della Scala ( Part 2) , co-authored by Ian Peirce (Part 1) (2000)

# 18 - Two Identifed Swords (2001)

# 19 - An Appreciation of a late 17th Century English Heavy Dragoon Officer's Sword ( 2002)

# 20 - The Sword of the Comte de Dreux ; Non-Christian Symbolism and the Medieval European Sword (2003)

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 3rd Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue anyone?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic