Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Svante arrives. (cutting pics added) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few days ago Peter Johnsson and I were discussing the Svantes qualities and Peter suggested that I further sharpen the blades edge, as well as giving me some valuable advice on cutting with the sword. Since Peter knows just a little bit about swords Wink I decided to follow his suggestions. I felt the edge was originally quite sufficient but I further sharpened it with a diamond hone. Not a huge amount, just a few strokes along each edge gave them just a bit more of a keen sharpness. (If you don't think I was paranoid about bouncing the sharpener and marring that beautiful blade you'd better think again!)

I've also been doing some work with Chivalry Bookshelfs Ochs Longsword DVD that has helped my way of thinking in regards to cutting with this type of sword. This, combined with Peters advice as well as Martin Wallgrens previous comments, made me much more comfortable when cutting with the Svante.

I just had another cutting session that yielded very satisfactory results indeed. Sorry, no photos as I was alone. I'm starting to get the feel of this wonderful sword.

Cool stuff.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick, sorry to bring up this old thread but if you get a chance Id be grateful if you could let me have your current impressions of the Svante now that you have some years to get to know it, I’m considering placing an order for one.

I’m also interested to know your thoughts regarding the edge, from reading your writeup yours didn’t seem to have an overly sharp factory edge whereas a newer one here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gbALFcY6I
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=svante
seems to have quite a sharp edge, easily paper cutting sharp.

Thanks

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Paul,

I'm sorry for the extremely tardy reply. I've been out of state visiting our children for the last couple of weeks and only returned last night.

I find the Svante to be an excellent sword. It's design is a fascinating one full of complexities. If one is going to fairly evaluate the Svante one really has to have a reasonably good viewpoint on medieval swords and what they were designed to do. Otherwise, a persons own ignorance will likely lead to disappointment. I see quite a few on line reviews of the Svante and frankly, most of them frustrate me. I often see the sword criticized because it isn't the best at cutting plastic bottles in the back yard, as if this is an inherent design deficiency. I see criticisms that deal with the relative shortness of the blade in comparison to the grip length. The conclusion is usually that the sword must have been a one-off because the back yard bottle cutter in the 21st century finds it awkward.

The Svante was designed to combat opponents wearing fairly developed body defenses. As such the blade is very thick and stout with a reinforced point so to allow for effective thrusting against armored opponents. The blade is also deeply hollow ground to allow for an effective cutting edge. Like the point, the edge is also reinforced with a secondary bevel that provides a strong shoulder to the edge. None of this was done in order to cut bottles in the back yard and judging the design in that context does both the sword and the reviewer a disservice. If finding an awesome bottle or tatami cutter is the goal there a many other swords that will fit that goal better than the Svante. On the other hand, if a very high quality replica of a late medieval war sword is desired then the Svante is an excellent choice.

The swords handling qualities are sometimes criticized because, quite frankly, the reviewer doesn't know what they're doing. Once the user gains familiarity with the design they'll find the Svante to be a very dynamic and powerful sword. It is not the all time best thruster or cutter, but it does both well enough to get the job done on a medieval battlefield and still maintain its structural integrity. I view the Svante as a very capable jack of all trades without being the master of any particular one. Since acquiring my sample I've learned that velocity and control affect cutting ability much more so than power. Trying to power the Svante through a cut, as one is inclined to do when first picking it up is really counterproductive. With proper control it's quite an efficient cutter and the factory edge is more than sufficient. Overall I find it to be an outstanding recreation of the medieval art of sword making.

The only downside to the Svante is its considerable cost and I'll leave that subjective value point to the individual buyers decision making process.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply.

I’m happy to hear that after all the time you have had its still high on your list. Since my post I have actually managed to find one 2nd hand, it’s currently on its way to Albion to be refinished then forwarded to me. Got to say I’m a bit excited at the prospect.

The more I have looked into the Svante the more its appealing to me, it’s much more than a great handling sword, I feel it to be a real slice of history.

Ill be sure to post my thoughts once it arrives.

Thanks again

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

The Svante was designed to combat opponents wearing fairly developed body defenses. As such the blade is very thick and stout with a reinforced point so to allow for effective thrusting against armored opponents. The blade is also deeply hollow ground to allow for an effective cutting edge. Like the point, the edge is also reinforced with a secondary bevel that provides a strong shoulder to the edge. None of this was done in order to cut bottles in the back yard and judging the design in that context does both the sword and the reviewer a disservice. If finding an awesome bottle or tatami cutter is the goal there a many other swords that will fit that goal better than the Svante. On the other hand, if a very high quality replica of a late medieval war sword is desired then the Svante is an excellent choice.

It's often overlooked that there are actually two kinds of cutting, there's cleaving cuts like you'd normally direct against targets such as tatami or bottles and then there's the slice. Many swords were designed to deliver a strong thrust supplemented with a good slice rather than an aggressive cleaving stroke. The Svante makes sense as a weapon because if the target's armored then the thrust is your best bet but if it's a soft target the slice is plenty lethal. To accurately evaluate a sword it would be good to have some kind of standardized set of targets to test it's efficiency with each of the three wounders.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:
Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply.

I’m happy to hear that after all the time you have had its still high on your list. Since my post I have actually managed to find one 2nd hand, it’s currently on its way to Albion to be refinished then forwarded to me. Got to say I’m a bit excited at the prospect.

The more I have looked into the Svante the more its appealing to me, it’s much more than a great handling sword, I feel it to be a real slice of history.

Ill be sure to post my thoughts once it arrives.

Thanks again

Paul

I'm glad to hear you've found one second hand. The Svante is an extremely expensive production sword, so if you can find one in good shape so much the better.

The Svante may not be my favorite sword but it is one of my favorites. I find the complexity in the design fascinating. I also spent a few days in the Albion shop when the sword was first coming together, so I know the effort Albion put into creating it. At the time there were more machining operations in the Svante's tang than in the entire blade of any Albion sword then in production.

For many europhiles the Svante feels a bit strange at first. We're used to common longsword replicas having blades far longer in relation to the hilt, so it takes some getting used to. However, similar swords are depicted in period artwork in several instances. The theory that the Svante must be a one-off or a failed experiment can clearly be refuted with just a little research. We don't know if the design was one of the more common ones of the period, but it certainly wasn't an aberration. Once you get comfortable with it dynamic handling becomes pretty easy. It's a heavy sword for it's size, but the mass is very nicely distributed so the static weight really isn't an issue. The blade is quite stout and massive in it's cross section, so even a cut against plate armor would be somewhat effective in stunning an opponent. I suspect this is why the edge is so strong, to offer a level of integrity during such use.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I disagree, Mike. The primary form of cutting attack has always been a hewing or cleaving blow. The fechtbucher attest to this, as does period art, not to mention art from other cultures. Swords which have any capacity to cut are meant to cleave and split, and all opnening strikes are invariably this sort of strike, or else are a thrust.

Slicing has its place, but only after swords have crossed in a bind, or if someone is rushing in. More often than not, when a bind is achieved, turning the sword and stabbing is the fastest action, so slices are not used that frequently even when the swords are crossed. The other thing not everyone realizes is slices require power to be effective; one cannot merely place the edge against the opponent and pull. Rather, one needs to use leverage and power from one's body; often, this involves violently dragging the blade across the opponent's body, starting high and finishing in the middle thrusting position of Pflug.
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is no "primary" form of attack for all swords, there is only the capabilities of the sword in your hand and your ability as a swordsman. There are three wounders, individual swords will have a greater capacity for one or more of them.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Svante arrives. (cutting pics added)
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: