Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei rapiers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
W. Patrick McGuigan

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Hanwei rapiers         Reply with quote

I've been looking to buy a rapier since I don't own one yet, and was wondering if the Hanwie rapiers are a good choice. I don't intend to put it through any kind of use other than displaying it. I still want something that is sturdy and can hold up though. I've been looking at the GT-1027S in particular.

Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to have the Pappenheimer. It was a good piece for the price. Early reports (as in 2 or 3 years ago) showed some problems with blades cracking, but that's supposed to be better now. The one I owned flexed and returned to true without incident.

Bear in mind, if you're an accuracy nut, that their steel hilts are often stainless steel.

Here's the pappenheimer:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned one of the first production samples. While it wasn't what I would call an outstanding sword, it was worth the asking price. If you're simply looking for a display piece it should be more than sufficient.
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well i have the practical swept hilt rapier along with a hanwei rapier belt and its been used extensively when i was studying rapier form (lost interest in that period of swordplay). but for the price it is now, i personally got ripped off as it was my first functional sword buy, it is a great piece for both display and use.

as per usual with wire wrapped though buy gauntlets or expect raw hands, i learnt that the hard way Wink.

Cheers,

Robert.B

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very happy w/ my 2 Hanwei rapiers, a Pappenheimer (SH1025 in the newest catalog) and the Bone-handled (SH 1092), and a bargain considering what I paid for them. Bought them off SFI Classified.

But then again, they used to be in Nathan's personal collection, so they are not your typical "off the rack" rapiers.

The Hanweis actually compare rather favorably w/ the MRL Brass SweptHilt Rapier I purchased from SFI Classified.
Kevin Inouye

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have their pappenheimer... the guard is fairly large, which could be a good thing or a bad thing for you. Has a bit of a sharp ridge where the index finger loops over the quillons, so you'll definitely need gloves. Finish is too polished for me, in that stick-it-on-a-buffer-till-it-looses-any-sharp-lines kinda way, but it's a decent deal for the money. Flexes ok, although blade's had a tiny bend in it from the start.

They come sharpened at the tip only, but that's easy to file down- after stabbing the box a few times, of course. Big Grin

I've used mine for staged fighting, and it's held up ok so far. A bit stiff for fencing, though- I wouldn't reccomend that. And since it comes with a scabbard, and I never got around to making one for my del Tin, it's my general costume sword when I need one.

Freelance Hack... and slash... and thrust...
www.fightdesigner.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei rapiers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic