Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hungarian Axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Hungarian Axe         Reply with quote

Reading the recent review prompted me to get the Hungarian Axe acquisition taken care of, it was in my "to get list" for quite some time now. I have the Danish War Axe, 2 of the Viking Axes, so I guess the next axe will be the Sparth Axe.

This Hungarian Axe is really nice, a lot of versatility to it and the length of the haft is perfect for the type of axe head that is mounted on it. So far today I've cut a couple plastic jugs of water and both cut and thrust into wood with it. I am well pleased in the Hungarian Axe's performance in all these applications. I also cussed myself a bit for not having bought this axe sooner, because it's a whole lot of fun to play with! Big Grin

My opinion, if you want a really unique axe that does a whole lot, this is the axe for you!

Sincerely,

Bob
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hungarian Axe         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Bob. The A&A Hungarian Axe has a form that I find very attractive, and it is on my list to get, at some point, also.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Steve! As you probably know, I am retired from purchasing anymore swords this year, unless I want to wind up wearing them in a manner not intended by the manufacturer! Laughing Out Loud
"However", there's still the occasional polearm or dagger. Laughing Out Loud Actually, I have a custom rondell dagger from Arms & Armor coming sometime in October of which can be anywhere from the stock price on up to a few bucks over $350.00 excluding shipping. Other than the blade being at least 13 inches but no limit in length, I have no idea on the particulars. I want it to be a surprise for me so I gave Craig absolute full reign on how he wants to make it.

Two seperate days this renaissance fair season I walked away from 2 Hungarian Axes hanging on the wall in the Arms & Armor Booth, for which I cussed myself on the third day I visited the fair, because they had both been sold the previous Saturday within an hour. Then the review on the Hungarian Axe appeared here in our happy clubhouse ( I say this in a manner of what a nice cordial and fun website this is and "not" in any sarcasm, I love this website!), once reading the review, well I just had to have it! Craig made it nice and sharp for me, putting "the Bob Burns" edge on it as they say over at Arms & Armor. Laughing Out Loud I have a standing order with A & A to make all my edged weaponry authentically sharp or a tad sharper.
I guess I should send Mike an email over at Albion Swords to make sure the Vassal has a razor edge on it before being sent over to Kult of Athena, which is where I purchased the Vassal from. Boy am I getting excited about the Vassal, I ordered a Campaign Line brown leather and steel scabbard and baldric for it too. I am starting to drive my wife crazy in regard to the Vassal, which I thought might be another good reason to order the Hungarian Axe last week so as to hopefully diffuse my ever increasing excitement. Laughing Out Loud

This sure is an addictive obsession isn't it?! Laughing Out Loud Expensive too! Eek! Oh well, I'm in too deep and love it too much at this point anyway for there to be any hope of recovery from my addiction to swords and weapons of old Europe. Worried Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Bob and the price isn't too bad compared to a sword ( Quality one that is ).

A & A hedged hardened my Viking and 12th Century spears as well as the edge of my Pollaxe to a slightly harder edge i.e. around 50 r.c. rather than the low to mid 40 r.c. of their standard for pollarms. ( Craig said that historical pieces of pollarms where somewhat soft on average. )

Just useful to know that edge harness can be customized by A & A for a reasonable extra cost and at 50 r.c. you can put and keep a decent edge.

I don't insist on scary sharp for my swords but all my " modern " knives and folding knives are shaving sharp: I often have no hair on my forearm from testing my edges after I sharpen. Wink Laughing Out Loud

So maybe you can get the " Jean " hedge hardness as well as the " Bob " edge. Razz Big Grin

Looking forward to seeing your custom Rondel dagger: Mine is at least many months away but I had more specific ideas about what changes I wanted and what I liked, and what I didn't want to change at all. Sometimes I know exactly what I want from a custom order and sometimes I also want to be surprised and only give a minimum of instructions.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean, thank you so much for informing me about the edge hardening process on polearms! I was not aware of this, but now that I am, you can bet I will get the Jean Thibodeau hedge and the Bob Burns edge on all my polearms Exclamation
I was totally unaware of this but I will surely spend the extra money in the future now that I know!

Thanks again Jean!

Bob
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Hungarian axes         Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for bringing this topic up.............now I have a new research catagory in my files. Big Grin I want to find out as much as I can about western arms and armour. I looked at the review of the Hungarian axe and then I did a search on Google but it pulled up almost nothing. I am suprised that there isnt more data available about this very distinct type of weapon. Do you or anyone else have any more info or pictures of them ?
Cheers !

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Merv, your most welcome, I guess the timing was a good coincidence. Well, I will have pictures in a couple of weeks, especially since Gayle (my wife) accidently damaged the Nikon N 75 film SLR camera I bought her last summer a couple weeks ago, which I replaced two days ago with the Nikon N 80 which is double the cost, plus a new 70 to 300 Nikkor zoom lens. ( I like to spoil her as much as I can) Happy
Beyond that the only thing I could suggest is to maybe contact Craig at www.arms-n-armor.com

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hungarian Axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic