Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > anyone have experience with www.armart.com? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Garrett Hazen

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: anyone have experience with www.armart.com?         Reply with quote

does anyone own any custom swords from these czech republican swordsmiths? anyone have an idea about the quality of these swords?
Learn to obey before you command--Solon of Athens
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You better do the search on this forum and on http://forums.swordforum.com/ - there has been much debate about them.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have bought 4 swords from their "available now" section. I can say nothing but good things about the quality of their worksmanship. They are among the finest quality swords I own. Dealing with them can be a bit frustrating at times, as they are somewhat lax in returning emails. However, I would say that my experiences with them have all been positive.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would second Blaz's comment. Go do the search and then you decide.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mean http://www.armart.antiquanova.com , right?

I have their S9 cavalry palache, and they link to my swordforum review of it. I still think the quality of the weapon is really top notch, as was their customer service before they ran into their various problems as detailed on swordforum.

Definitely do your research first though.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

People seem to be beating around the bush unnecessarily here. ArmArt can make nice products. I have one of their swords and love it. They went through a patch where orders were delayed by years and items paid for were never received. People have had good luck buying in-stock items from them. Most people wouldn't place an order for an item not in stock though.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I would second Blaz's comment. Go do the search and then you decide.

Hmm, from what I have seen the guy works with a nice carbon forge, well prepared.

If you can expect the best blades to be coming from such a professional, on the other hand you may expect the slowest production rate from his antique methods.

Quality is inversely proportional to time of execution in such cases.

By working metal in such forges you may also expect an increase in carbon content, an increased resistance to breakage (the smith will be hammering the metal when heated to the proper temperature to prevent stress), the lesser possible grinding after forging (good smiths can make the forged blade almost with the same geometry as the final blade, no unnecessary heating from grinding).
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno, have a loook at Patrick Kellys article Pound vs. Ground in the Featured Content section. you'll find it under the Essays heading. You can't guarantee a blade is better just because it was forged.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:
Bruno, have a loook at Patrick Kellys article Pound vs. Ground in the Featured Content section. you'll find it under the Essays heading. You can't guarantee a blade is better just because it was forged.

Dr. Hrisoulas suggests that austenite forged blade (a.k.a. ausforged) are inherently superior blades, since the method was used by Solingen blademaker with centuries of experience.

Also a forged into shape blade can be subject to minor grinding, presumably leaving intact a cristalline structure well formed by ausforging.

Obviously this kind of forging requires experience, I guessed from the pictures and the look of the finished products that this maker uses a lot of care and study.

I'm not sayng that my first blade I'm making is a superior product ... I think that with all her defects she will likely be pretty close to low quality medieval examples, but this because of her low carbon content and primitive case hardening she will get.

Undoubtably a blade made of a modern steel alloy will be less prone to defects, she will not break easily or lose edge, be it ground or hand forged, anyway it will not be a philologically correct product.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bruno,

As modern steel stock is produced in a mechanized forging process, reforging it really only might produce some grain refinement. This would also be possible with a stock removal blade that is nicley cycled.

This is actually a topic under frequent discussion and better particulars might be read at SFI's metallurgical Q&A forum as well as following the debate on some other venues.

For some one making their own carburised iron, or doing a patterned effort, forging a blade is really the only way to go. Others might prefer banging stuff into shape instead of using a lot of belts to get there.

I love Dr. Jim's work. I was just browsing his siter earlier today.

Cheers

GC
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Bruno,

As modern steel stock is produced in a mechanized forging process, reforging it really only might produce some grain refinement. This would also be possible with a stock removal blade that is nicley cycled.

This is actually a topic under frequent discussion and better particulars might be read at SFI's metallurgical Q&A forum as well as following the debate on some other venues.

For some one making their own carburised iron, or doing a patterned effort, forging a blade is really the only way to go. Others might prefer banging stuff into shape instead of using a lot of belts to get there.

I love Dr. Jim's work. I was just browsing his siter earlier today.

Cheers

GC

I understand, my next blade will likely be carefully researched from this point of view.

the one I'm making is my frist so it will just be an exercise in beating and shaping.
Katie Neal

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Armart         Reply with quote

I have the Custom Twin dagger from his site, he custom made them for me, i love them.....but it took him a year..i was lucky i even got them.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Armart         Reply with quote

Katie Neal wrote:
I have the Custom Twin dagger from his site, he custom made them for me, i love them.....but it took him a year..i was lucky i even got them.

Sorry for barging in again, i do not actually know such people, anyway being used to work with artists i feel that this is such a case.

many good artists are also unreliable when organization is needed.

it seems to be one of the distinctive marks for for artistry....
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
Let's try to get this thread back on target. Comments about a different smith's work or forging vs. grinding are best handled in their own threads. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > anyone have experience with www.armart.com?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic