Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Request for photos of Scottish knives and forks... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Request for photos of Scottish knives and forks...         Reply with quote

I am interested in having a knife and fork made to go with a dirk in my collection. I have just a couple of photos of knives and forks made to accompany a dirk, and a search through the myArmoury albums only turned up a couple more. I am hoping that myArmoury members may have some reference photos they could post for me to assist in my project.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris you will probably cringe at this, but I bought a white bone-handled set of 18th C. cutlery (two-tined fork and knife) from C.W. there in your fair state and modified them with my Dremel tool. I re-shaped the knife with a straight back and a new edge to give it somewhat a Scottish skein look and added (okay, I also know how you feel about this) jimping to the narrow spine. I am working on a scabbard to incorporate them with a bone and brass handled dirk that I acquired without cutelry a year or so ago. By the bye, I have seen pictures of sets with just regular everyday knives and forks of the period rather than anything fancy. I think they will work out rather well. C.W. also has a set with black bone handles. I got mine at Tarpley's Store on Duke of Glouchester but I'll bet they are available on-line or via a phone call.

This was a work around but for $20 USD...a bargin.

George

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
Chris you will probably cringe at this, but I bought a white bone-handled set of 18th C. cutlery (two-tined fork and knife) from C.W. there in your fair state and modified them with my Dremel tool. I re-shaped the knife with a straight back and a new edge to give it somewhat a Scottish skein look and added (okay, I also know how you feel about this) jimping to the narrow spine. I am working on a scabbard to incorporate them with a bone and brass handled dirk that I acquired without cutelry a year or so ago. By the bye, I have seen pictures of sets with just regular everyday knives and forks of the period rather than anything fancy. I think they will work out rather well. C.W. also has a set with black bone handles. I got mine at Tarpley's Store on Duke of Glouchester but I'll bet they are available on-line or via a phone call.

Not only won't I cringe, but I'll confess I did the same with a black horn handled set a while back. And your right, you can make a pretty nice set with them. Only problem is, they were a bit larger than what I want to use with this dirk. I found this photo in the albums made by VE that looks to be the size I want.

Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I believe there are some good drawings in Drummonds Ancient Scottish Weapons. If you don't have it you can order it from Kentrotman, or ask Mac if he can share some of his scans.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Request for photos of Scottish knives and forks...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic