Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maximilian Hunting Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Maximilian Hunting Sword         Reply with quote

When Craig Johnson mentioned some updates to the Custom section at A&A, I looked and found this custom 16th C. Hunting sword. Interesting configuration and great work as usual. I've heard of swords with "sliders" but not with the "stop", seemingly at the COP. Any specifics from Craig would be welcomed.

Stats:

Original: c. German early 16th C.

Overall Length: 54.25", Blade Length: 38.5", Blade Width: 1.8"

Weight:5.6 lbs., Balance Point: 5 3/4" from Guard.

From what I understand, most hunting swords are much shorter than 38.5".
A point for discussion: At what point would it be more functional to use a spear? At that length, would one gain any advantage from the sword over the spear, particularly when the sword appears to be meant solely for thrusting?

Attachment: 56.76 KB
[ Download ]

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A close-up of the tip:

Attachment: 69.08 KB
918gall2.jpg

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work on the hilt:

Attachment: 69.31 KB
[ Download ]

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(Please note: we allow you to attach multiple images to each post. You're not limited to a single attachment per post like on many other forums)

The perpendicular bar prevents animals from running up the blade upon being speared. These types of swords are often known as "boar swords" due to their use in hunting wild boar.

Here's an example of a historic original:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1029.html
(The bars are generally removable, being attached as a wedge. This example has its removed)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another hunting sword, just to show the variety of hilts encountered.

Attachment: 11.16 KB
[ Download ]

My sword site
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And another Boar sword ( blade missing it's cross-piece). , Mac

* "European Weapons & Armour" , Ewart Oakeshott, 1980.

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Ron Luciano

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Maximillian sword         Reply with quote

Steve,
Look in the museum pictures on myArmoury, under those pictures from the Kelvingrove. I took some pictures of the sword in question, or one very similiar.

Best regards,
Ron

I have not tarried in long journeys over the surface of the sea, nor have I feared the threats of enemies or wild beasts, O strong leader, Maurice, go well good friend; I discern through such sweetness, the beauties of the country life, a safe return and nobility. Lift high the wine vessel. Such things are worthy of remembrance.

HMS ADVICE 1705
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Boar Sword         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

Hope you are having a good weekend.

The main divergence from most historical examples for this type of piece are the size, its probably larger than most, though when you look at the illustration of the original they were pretty good sized, and the main part of the blade being rectangular in section as apposed to square or triangular which would be most common. Both alterations were by customer request.

This would purely be a thrusting weapon. I did not even check the cop as I think the bulk of the piece would preclude it vibrating much at all.

Best
Craig
J. Kevin Fox

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though I am very tardy in getting round to this post, I am the person who ordered the Arms & Armor #918 Maximilian Hunting Sword. The departure point was a detail from "The Triumph of Maximilian' (1526), page 8, Howard L. Blackmore's "Hunting Weapons" (1971) in the well-done Arms & Armor Series. The artist is probably Hans Burgkmair the Elder. It shows three boar hunters on horseback with their boar swords. That carried by the right hand figure was the one used as the starting point for the A& A custom piece. The "Maximilian" was built on the platform of the #156 English Two Handed Sword.

The sword, as delivered, exhibits A&A's superb workmanship. The "boar stop" functions, as correctly mentioned above, as a block to prevent the enraged boar from wriggling up to the gizzard of the hunter. A number of pig-stickers in India discovered this tendency the hard way. The A&A sword functions superbly for its intended purpose, and I am extremely pleased with it. Hats off to A&A!

Yes, it does have substantial weight. It needs it for the required sturdiness. The impact of the charging boar also requires a very substantial weapon. (Never underestimate the intestinal fortitude of old Maximilian. His hunting adventures - well-attested - are worth a read.) Yes, it is a thrusting weapon. Why a boar sword as opposed to a boar spear? The sword was considered more "noble," for various reasons, including exposing the user to a much more "up close & personal" encounter with the boar. It levels the playing field a bit, when compared with the spear. The boar swords were used from horseback. If you wish, have a look at a tapestry in the Metropolitan Museum, which shows Maximilian himself in action with a similar sword. The link is

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Tapestry/40.L.asp

When you are enlarging, click directly on the sword to center the enlargement on the weapon. The armor worn by the hounds is responsible for the unofficial title of this famous tapestry, "The Attack of the Killer Armadilloes."

A&A also makes an excellent boar spear - the #112 Friedrich IV Boar Spear, which I also have & highly recommend.

The other hunting sword pictured in this thread is of the estoc type. That's for a future project!

Best wishes!
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kevin--great tapestry link and info about your sword!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maximilian Hunting Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic