Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Christian Fletcher: Ritter Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ralph Rudolph

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Christian Fletcher: Ritter         Reply with quote

Hi there,

I received my Albion RITTER finished by Christian Fletcher. Attach some pics for admiration.
I wanted it with a light brown hilt and a matching scabbard and belt. It completes my collection down to the "lower" Oakeshott numbers and is my first one-hander.
What strikes about this sword is the cocked-hat pommel, which is a beauty, and actually pretty large when you hold the sword. The blade design is similar to the BARON I own, and makes it feel rather heavy in one hand (I am accustomed to handling longswords, which I feel easier to do).
Giving attention to the limits of my budget I had to compromise at one end, which was the scabbard and belt. The scabbard is only leather, but Christian used two layers and made it fit tight like a glove to the blade. The Man-at-arms belt is my first belt and I wear it with pride.

Cheers
Ralph

Attachment: 34.91 KB
myRitter [ Download ]

Attachment: 65.68 KB
Cocked-hat pommel of the XI [ Download ]

Attachment: 75.75 KB
Hilt [ Download ]

Attachment: 62.62 KB
Man-at-arms belt [ Download ]
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm a big fan of the ritter, its a very elegant sword.
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking combo. Great sword and Christian's usual superb workmanship on the scabbard and belt. I like the color, it's a good match!
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to echo everyone's appreciation for this sword. I have the Hospitaller (same blade, if I recall correctly) and it is also an extremely nice piece. Congratulations and great work to everyone involved in making this!

Every time somebody gets something as awesome as this I always start thinking about expanding my collection . . .
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Mr. Rudolph, gratz on your new Ritter!

I wanted to know (I'm very interested in buying one) how well does it function? it more than meets the eye aesthetically.

thanks for your help, and excellent customization. the scabbard, belt, and Ritter go together extremely well.

(side note: how much did the whole set cost?)
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Ralph!

Terrific looking set! The light brown grip looks perfect on the Ritter. The whole set has lots of character.

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, the first time I saw pictures of the Ritter, I thought it was very unattractive. Then some more pictures showed up on various forums, the review on this site, and I actually really started to like the unusual look of the pommel. It's not something you see everyday, and the more I looked at it, I realized the execution of this design was done VERY well.

You've got a great setup there, take good care of it. Happy
Ralph Rudolph

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:

I wanted to know (I'm very interested in buying one) how well does it function? it more than meets the eye aesthetically.

(side note: how much did the whole set cost?)

Hello Grayson,
your question about function of the RITTER.
I did not do cutting tests with it, but would assume from its dynamics that cutting is the purpose of its existence (see also Albion's decription of the sword). As a beginner in sword fencing I concentrate only on longsword (German School) and find myself a bit bewildered with a sword in one hand only. It is pretty heavy to hold (1236 gramm) and strains the wrist. My longest and heaviest sword, the BARON, has only 534 g more (1770 g) and needs power to be controlled with both hands.
So if you strike with the Ritter it comes down like thunder. You probably would need effort to stop it in its track. In fact it is a bit like a longsword with a blade too short, and the hilt too short for the second hand ...
Nevertheless, it's a beauty and represents a specimen from the early Middle Ages in my collection. I have seen some of the originals which inspired its design in the Berlin Museum of German History this spring, which makes it personally more valuable for me.
I would advise you to read the excellent review of the Ritter in this forum at www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_ritter.html.

For the price: just look at Christian Fletcher's website and you'll find it all: www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Ritter.html. Inclusive scabbard and belt I paid $ 990, plus a real expensive DHL postage to Germany and the German customs and tax Mad

Here is a closeup I took of the beauty ...

Attachment: 54.53 KB
ritter_leather_small.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Christian Fletcher: Ritter
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic