Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > More New Items from MRL Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: More New Items from MRL         Reply with quote

MRL calls this item the "Flared Long Sword". I am used to seeing this sort of profile only on a training blunt, e.g., Arms & Armor's Fechtbuch Sword, but this MRL piece appears to be configured with a "sharp" blade (though, I'm sure with MRL's standard edge). Were swords of this profile used in actual combat?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Classic Cinquedea         Reply with quote

Here is another new item from MRL that they call the "Classic Cinquedea". I have always liked the multi-fullered cinquedeas, though I prefer to see very crisply defined fullers. At this time, MRL's on-line catalog provides no specs on this new piece, other than the $150 price.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Cinquedea         Reply with quote

RE: The Flared longsword
Hm. Crazy. And with a diamond cross-section and a sharp point-section, too.

RE: The Cinquedea
I quite like this, for what it is. I agree about the blade. It leaves less an impression than the hilt.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Two Hand Claymore         Reply with quote

MRL is also offering a new "Two Hand Claymore". I regret to say that I don't know much about these classic swords. I'm more of a "basket head", myself. I like the pommel on MRL's offering, but the grip and the cross seem odd to my un-schooled eye. I like the double fullered blade, though I had the impression that the typical claymore had a less acute point. Here are the MRL specs:
Overall-47 1/2" Blade-38 1/2" long, 1 7/8" wide, 3/16" thick Wt.-4 lbs

- Sir Toby Belch
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Cinquedea         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
...RE: The Cinquedea
I quite like this, for what it is. I agree about the blade. It leaves less an impression than the hilt.

I rather like the cinquedea hilt, as well.

- Sir Toby Belch
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: German War Sword         Reply with quote

MRL has also put out this "German War Sword". This one doesn't suit my tastes at all, but I suppose it puts a bit more variety into the MRL lineup, with the unusual pommel and wood grip.

- Sir Toby Belch
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aesthetically, I think a type XIIa or XIIIa would look better on the German's hilt.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Cinquedea         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
RE: The Cinquedea

Would be much more attractive if the first set of fullers had been multiple narrow fullers, maybe 4 or 5, the second set
3 fullers and the last 2 fullers. As they are now they should at least be crisp to appeal to me.

Granted at the price it's not bad, but the fuzzy outlines of the fullers sort of kill my interest in it as is: Hmmmmm ..... for a D.I.Y.
project there might be some potential once the blade was aged and the shiny finish dulled down.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Chesser wrote:
Aesthetically, I think a type XIIa or XIIIa would look better on the German's hilt.

I'll second that. I saw only the hilt as I was moving down the page, and then when I saw the blade, my reaction was, "What happened?"
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!
I believe that MRL based the "Flared Long Sword" on the sword in the De Cosson Collection depicted in figure 45 in Oakeshott's The Sword in the Age of Chivalry. Oakeshott's drawing shows a slight flare with lugs, although maybe not as prominent as in MRL's blade. He also mentions another in the Armeria Real at Madrid possessing small lugs projecting from the edge just below the ricasso. He said that these were both ordinary hand-and-a-half swords. He also mentions two handed swords from the period 1450-1525 possessing the same characteristics.
Of course, the MRL sword appears to be their typical attempt at replicating a sword based on a drawing (close, but not exact). However, there were some late medieval and Renaissance battle swords with lugs.
Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Hello all!
I believe that MRL based the "Flared Long Sword" on the sword in the De Cosson Collection depicted in figure 45 in Oakeshott's The Sword in the Age of Chivalry. Oakeshott's drawing shows a slight flare with lugs, although maybe not as prominent as in MRL's blade.

I'd say you're right. Check out This Topic for a discussion and illustration of the sword in question.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

looks like their trying to make a fectbuch sword (flared longsword) without realising there only for training
my 2 cents

to my own surprise the cinqedea looks alright ide like to see it at diforent angles to get a feel for the profile.

i hear their quality's getting better, anyone have any first hand knolage on what their doing?
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: MRL German War Sword         Reply with quote

Hello all!
I delved deep into my books today and found a few historical swords analogous to MRL's new "German War Sword". (It's test day today in home school, so I had some time to do some research.)
In European and American Arms by Claude Blair, plate 42 shows a south German sword with a roughly similar hilt. The pommel on the historical sword is longer and more elegant than MRL's, and lacks the raised bosses. Also, the historical sword has a ridge down the centre, lined up with the ridge in the blade, instead of on the sides of the pommel. The cross on the MRL German War Sword is longer and "chunkier" than that on the historical sword. The sword shown in Blair's book also has a blade that is wider near the tip, more clearly a typical Oakeshott Type XVIII.
There are several German effigies of the 14th century depicted in drawings in Medieval Arms and Armor: a Pictorial Guide by J.H. Hefner-Alteneck that have scabbarded sword blades of roughly the same profile as the MRL German War Sword. The grip of the sword shown on the effigy of Hartmann of Kroneberg (died 1372) even has the spiral grove like the MRL sword.
I wonder if MRL's German War Sword is really more of a hodgepodge of elements from various swords, a hybrid or chimera sword. I would love to see the original sword in the book they cite on their web site, Arms and Armor from the Atelier of Ernst Schmidt by E. Andrew Moubray. That's a book I don't have!
I hope this was of interest!
Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Call me picky, but none of those swords do anything for me.

Brian M
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!
I just noticed that Ernst Schmidt was highlighted in my previous post, so I clicked on it and went to Nathan's article. If Ernst Schmidt made reproductions, does that mean the MRL German War Sword is a copy of a copy?
Looks off to me, anyway, especially with that grey finish on the pommel and cross. Of course, maybe I'm just used to Windlass's trademark mirror finish!
Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > More New Items from MRL
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic