Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Let's come up with some cash for the site Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan -

Thank you for the bump here. I need to address this issue soon and make some decisions of my own on how to proceed with the myArmoury.com project.

This note comes with interesting timing in that I recently spent 30+ hours working on upcoming content for the site.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me throw some numbers out there for you guys. Hopefully Nathan won't get mad at me.

3-5. Number of hours a review can take for Nathan to produce, assuming an experienced author, submitting a complete review and high-quality photographs. Many reviews take much longer.

204. Number of reviews published or in some stage of our production process. (Do the math)
Happy

3-5. Number of hours a collection gallery page can take for Nathan to produce them, assuming an experienced author, submitting a complete document and high-quality photographs. Many can take much longer.

240. Number of collection gallery pages published or in some stage of our production process. (Math's fun, isn't it?)

20+. Number of hours a Feature article can take for Nathan to produce, with image sourcing, production, etc. Some take much, much more (40 hours +).

104. Number of feature articles published or in some stage of production. (Do that math, too) Happy

Just counting the very average and general numbers above (which leaves out exceptional cases, administrative tasks, coding of the Bookstore, Moderating, etc. that add up to many, many additional hours), we can see that Nathan has spent the equivalent of at least 85 40-hour-work-weeks (over a year and a half of 9-5 work hours) just on myArmoury's non-forum, non-Bookstore, non-Photo Album content.

Any hours he spends working here are hours he's not getting paid. Can we raise enough money to reimburse him for all the time he's spent here? Maybe not, but let's give it a shot. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just re-enlisted! This site is the best arms & armour bargain anywhere!

Please think about how much you learn here, folks, and dig as deep as you can responsibly dig.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Just counting the very average and general numbers above (which leaves out exceptional cases, administrative tasks, coding of the Bookstore, Moderating, etc. that add up to many, many additional hours), we can see that Nathan has spent the equivalent of at least 85 40-hour-work-weeks (over a year and a half of 9-5 work hours) just on myArmoury's non-forum, non-Bookstore, non-Photo Album content

Oh. My. God. That's seriously frightening.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
Just counting the very average and general numbers above (which leaves out exceptional cases, administrative tasks, coding of the Bookstore, Moderating, etc. that add up to many, many additional hours), we can see that Nathan has spent the equivalent of at least 85 40-hour-work-weeks (over a year and a half of 9-5 work hours) just on myArmoury's non-forum, non-Bookstore, non-Photo Album content

Oh. My. God. That's seriously frightening.

Now, Nathan, multiply that time by your usual hourly rate and add your actual cash outlay for the site.

Eek!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Now, Nathan, multiply that time by your usual hourly rate and add your actual cash outlay for the site.

Eek!

Sean,
Don't tell him that. He might jump out the window or off a bridge...

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Eek!

Sean,
Don't tell him that. He might jump out the window or off a bridge...

Yes, he can't afford himself and if he could he would be rich(er).

The timing is a little bad for me right now but I will try to send something like $25 later this week or next and maybe something later after I finished with all the recent dental work. ( $3600 so far this year and at least another $1000 next month ) Love that dental surgery. Razz Laughing Out Loud ( Actually I have a great Parodentiste as the surgery was less painful than a regular tooth cleaning. Big Grin )

Anyway folks, go back to the first post of this topic and re-read them all: Everything that was true then is still true NOW.

If 1000 members just gave $10 Nathan would have a great budget to work with to maintain and even improve the site.
If 200 members just gave $10 each the goal this year would be reached. Wink ( Don't know what the official goal is this year but $2000 should be adequate I think, but more is better Big Grin )

And thanks to Jonathan Hopkins for waking us up early this year. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, starting a new running total of contributions might be motivational, seeing a specific goal and the total increasing like last year might be a good idea as an official launch to this years campaign. ( I would include the most recent contribution from the time this Topic was re-activated I think or from the last month or two to be fair and acknowledge the contributions already given without prompting ).
Carl Goff

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there any other method besides PayPal? I neither like nor particularly trust PayPal after some of the horror stories I've heard.

Could I just send Nathan a check for my chunk of the fundraising?

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
Is there any other method besides PayPal? I neither like nor particularly trust PayPal after some of the horror stories I've heard.

Could I just send Nathan a check for my chunk of the fundraising?

You can contact me for an address, but that causes me extra work and some tax issues. Still, I won't complain Happy

PayPal is safe and secure. Any horror stories you may have heard are not related to security. They are related to those people who click on random links in random emails simply because t hey say they're from PayPal when they're not. These links then go to random Web sites that aren't PayPal, and these random people then type in their passwords, providing random people their not so random passwords and giving access to their bank account, credit card, etc. Not so smart. Happy

It's a lack of common sense by these people, not a lack of security. Besides, one pays with a credit card, adding a second layer of security to the transaction since the credit card company offers its own protection.

Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if Wikipedia could chip in some of thier donations. They source myArmoury in just about every historic arms related article Laughing Out Loud
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
I wonder if Wikipedia could chip in some of thier donations. They source myArmoury in just about every historic arms related article Laughing Out Loud

Yeah. That's pretty funny. There was a short while where I had to personally crusade to remove, and re-remove, stolen content from myArmoury.com. That means, people were copying the images, text, and throwing it in there. If you look up "sword" there, you'll see a graphic of a sword I had to draw specifically for Wikipedia because some jerk kept stealing the image form this site and putting it there.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was surprised to see it to. And it's not just the English wikipedia version. I periodically Google my own name to see what's on the web about me, and found my articles and others from here had been cited in the French version of wikipedia.

On another note, we're currently just over a 1/4 of the way to our fundraising goal.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I was surprised to see it to. And it's not just the English wikipedia version. I periodically Google my own name to see what's on the web about me, and found my articles and others from here had been cited in the French version of wikipedia.

On another note, we're currently just over a 1/4 of the way to our fundraising goal.

Just donated as promised and we are now over 1/3 of the way to the goal. Big Grin

Hmmmmm, Just a thought: If you come here once a day 365 days a week a dollar a visit would be $365 Eek!
Ten cents a visit = $36.50
A TEN dollar donation = 2.739726 cents a day. Wink

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm really excited to see the total going up. What has surprised me a little bit and heartened me a great deal is going through the list of donors and seeing the number of donors with low post counts (or no posts at all, in some cases). We have prolific posters donating as well as those who are less prolific or are new. So people of many different visible involvement levels are donating, which shows the strength and generosity of this community.
Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Going to have to skip the donations this time around. It appears that for the first time in my life I'm actually going to be involuntarily separated from employment for a bit.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Going to have to skip the donations this time around. It appears that for the first time in my life I'm actually going to be involuntarily separated from employment for a bit.

Sorry to hear that: Don't worry about a contribution though. The whole thing of having to find work/pay bills is very stressful under the best conditions and " survival " takes priority over everything else.

First get over the " shock " and take it a day at a time and prioritize the steps you need to do and avoid getting overwhelmed trying to fix everything at once.

Best wishes.

Jean

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Sorry to hear that: Don't worry about a contribution though. The whole thing of having to find work/pay bills is very stressful under the best conditions and " survival " takes priority over everything else.

First get over the " shock " and take it a day at a time and prioritize the steps you need to do and avoid getting overwhelmed trying to fix everything at once.

Best wishes.

Jean

Oddly enough, as a workaholic, the free time that goes with it while I'm still on payroll has really improved my quality of life. I've been back on my bicycle which I once raced many years and pounds ago. My lifting has been less hurried and I feel it. I actually allowed myself a family vacation for once. I've been fishing several times.

Truth be told, if I could afford to live life on these terms, I'm not sure I'd go back to the corporate world. I had not realized how much it had consumed all of my life until I was forced to step outside of it.

Cool Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This fund raiser couldn't come at a better time. My cat was having issues and I took him to the vet today. Today's visit cost $200, but he needs some additional work done, estimated at $1035 (low) to $1237 (high). Now, I'm not saying that the funds raised here go for the cat. They don't. But without these funds--and me needing to shell out the cash for the site's annual hosting--expenses like this bring on tough choices. So I guess what I'm saying is thank you to those who have contributed. The work I put into this project is pretty extensive and the money I throw into it isn't too small, either. When you guys come out of the woodwork and donate your hard earned cash towards it, it really does make it possible for me to keep this thing going. There'd be a long way to go before this project went into the "black" so to speak, but at least with these fund raisers it isn't bleeding me dry. Happy Thanks to the few who have given.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I hope the few become the many as it doesn't take much per person if enough contribute as I have said before AND will repeat OFTEN. Wink Laughing Out Loud

To paraphrase that program " HEROES " : Save the Cat, save the myArmoury World. Razz ( Disclaimer: Although the money is NOT going to the cat ).

But seriously, I hope your cat gets better.

( Just for those who don't know the program: http://www.canada.com/globaltv/globalshows/heroes/index.html )

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Let's come up with some cash for the site
Page 3 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: