Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Period grip coverings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Period grip coverings         Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of extant medieval (not terribly concerned with specific centuries) sword grip coverings, particularly the method by which they are closed or info on the thickness of leather they are covered with?

I've seen quite a bit of info on reproduction grip coverings and own an Albion knight with a near-invisible glued covering but I've never seen any clear info on what extant examples look like or what stitches were used to close them.

I'm presuming they are sewn shut rather than glued since available glue technology tended to go gooey in hot damp conditions but I've had a go at butt-seaming sub-mm thicknesses of leather using what I know of period techniques (hand-assembled waxed linen thread and "bristles") and I'm damned if I can build a usably strong seam that doesn't tear out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: grips         Reply with quote

As far as I know they used to use hide/rabbet glue for the leather on wood grips and leave a small strip on each side ungluded and then stich and apply glue down under the seem as you work your way down...that way the tension is not put on the leather and the threads are simply pulling the join closed neatly.
Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: grips         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
As far as I know they used to use hide/rabbet glue for the leather on wood grips and leave a small strip on each side ungluded and then stich and apply glue down under the seem as you work your way down...that way the tension is not put on the leather and the threads are simply pulling the join closed neatly.

Interesting, do you have any descriptions of this process?

I'd been discounting the use of hide glue because the heat and moisture of using the weapon in combat would be more than enough to start dissolving it.

Thanks.

--
Al.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

Hide glue was used to secure the leather as well as sewing or a combination of the two.
I would be very surpriced if the glue fails even during intense use.

Even the leather for the scabbard could be affxed to the wooden core with glueing only and no seam.

Have you ever exepienced any tendensies for the leather to come loose in your sword? I would be curious to know: any feedback is much welcome. At Albion, hide glue is used just as with the original swords back in the day.

Of the swords I´ve seen that has leather cover intact, I get the impression that glueing is equally common as sewing, or possibly even a little more common.

Sewing can be seen done both with "invisible" stitches, where you work the needle through the thickness of the leather and out through the inside and back in a zig zag manner, or a simple running stitch often with a rather rough effect (as in not so neat).

In one case a falchion from around 1500 showed a grip where the leather was a carefully skived comosite of three different peices of leather glued to the grip. You had to look hard to make out the construction, still very tight after some 500 years and obvious use.

When glueing the leather you get a neat effect if you skive the overlapping edges down to nothing. This can result in a "seam" that is nigh invisible. It also helps in that it leaves very little gap for humidity to enter. The waxing of the leather then acts effectively as a barrier against humidity. If you use your swords often, it is a good idea to renew the waxing once in a while. Use a good quality leather conditioner that is absorbed by the leather, rather than one that only sits on top with a glossy layer.

Personally I use both sewing and glueing, but prefer glueing as it is easier to get neat results. In some cases, like when the leather is going to be tooled, you generally need to close the leather with stitching.

I attach a pic of an original 14th c sword (Royal Armouries, Stockholm) where you can see the seam well.

Attachment: 44.7 KB
[ Download ]
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: use of color for grips         Reply with quote

Hi,

How about the color of the leather? So many modern reproductions use basic black. Was it really so basic? There seems to be so much more variety of color in clothing than we use, how about on swords?

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Leather plus         Reply with quote

I will add my voice to Peter's that period grips where done with both, as well as each type of attachment as far as I have seen. One element to remember is that not all where done with leather. Other materials and constructions were used regularly. You can easily find examples covered with fabric, knot work and in some cases metal. There is also the possibility of binding or strap work.

As far as color, art and several examples indicate that there would have been more color choice by far than todays examples. The modern market place has a bias to "manly" earth tones in leather. Surprised

The period customer would have been open to a far greater range of acceptable styles and colors of grip than we can sell today.

Another great detail that is left off modern reproductions is the use of tassels at the front and back of the grip. These are seen on several examples and in art but today their is little demand for such.

Best
Craig

Some Examples

Attachment: 31.98 KB
Fabnetgrip.jpg

Attachment: 31.78 KB
tucknet.jpg

Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: use of color for grips         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hi,

How about the color of the leather? So many modern reproductions use basic black. Was it really so basic? There seems to be so much more variety of color in clothing than we use, how about on swords?

Ms Muir
I think I remember Oakeshott describing finding strong colour ed leather (green? - sorry my memory is terrible, can'y even remember which book) under a secondary cover on a grip, but it darkened rapidly when exposed to the air/light.
Geoff
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All of the swords that I saw in Germany that still had leather grips on them were glued only. There is one eception to that, where a small executioner's style sword had stitching on the grip. In every case the seam was visible, but the leather appeared very thin. Probably no more than 1 oz and possibly lighter. Grip colors included black, dark red, several shades of brown, and one white grip (it was real bumpy and may have been some kind of ray skin or something).

I don't know if any of the grips in question were modern replacements, but I don't think so.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hi,

Hide glue was used to secure the leather as well as sewing or a combination of the two.
I would be very surpriced if the glue fails even during intense use.

Even the leather for the scabbard could be affxed to the wooden core with glueing only and no seam.

Thanks for weighing in. I'm glad to be proven wrong in my assumptions because that's going to make my life easier on a couple of projects Happy

Quote:

Have you ever exepienced any tendensies for the leather to come loose in your sword? I would be curious to know: any feedback is much welcome. At Albion, hide glue is used just as with the original swords back in the day.

I haven't on my knight, but it hasn't been used other than for a few backyard cutting sessions where it wasn't in-hand for extended periods. I must admit, I'd assumed that it was glued with modern glues.

Quote:

Of the swords I´ve seen that has leather cover intact, I get the impression that glueing is equally common as sewing, or possibly even a little more common.

Sewing can be seen done both with "invisible" stitches, where you work the needle through the thickness of the leather and out through the inside and back in a zig zag manner, or a simple running stitch often with a rather rough effect (as in not so neat).

In one case a falchion from around 1500 showed a grip where the leather was a carefully skived comosite of three different peices of leather glued to the grip. You had to look hard to make out the construction, still very tight after some 500 years and obvious use.

Neat. There are shoes like that where whoever built it has pieced it together out of tens of different pieces of scrap. I guess it's what you get when labour is cheap but materials are expensive.

Quote:

When glueing the leather you get a neat effect if you skive the overlapping edges down to nothing. This can result in a "seam" that is nigh invisible. It also helps in that it leaves very little gap for humidity to enter. The waxing of the leather then acts effectively as a barrier against humidity. If you use your swords often, it is a good idea to renew the waxing once in a while. Use a good quality leather conditioner that is absorbed by the leather, rather than one that only sits on top with a glossy layer.

Of course! I feel like a bit of an idiot for not thinking of waxing the leather afterwards.

What thicknesses of leather do you see used for period grips? sub-millimeter like modern garment leather, or thicker?

Quote:

Personally I use both sewing and glueing, but prefer glueing as it is easier to get neat results. In some cases, like when the leather is going to be tooled, you generally need to close the leather with stitching.

I attach a pic of an original 14th c sword (Royal Armouries, Stockholm) where you can see the seam well.

A visible seam but that's still pretty neat sewing, thanks for that.

--
Al.
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: use of color for grips         Reply with quote

Hi Pamela,

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hi,

Textile dyes in period were a lot more diverse in terms of colors than leather dyes. Period textile dyes often seem to involve boiling the fabric in the dye bath, which you can't do with leather.

I don't know about swords specifically, but from what I know of period leather the easiest colors to get are brown, because that's the color you get after pit-tanning, and black which you get with an iron dye. As far as I'm aware they are the most durable colors you can get with period leather dyes too. I dyed my modern belt with an iron dye about 3 years ago and it's still deep black after daily use. A lot of the vegetable based dyes, particularly blues, apparently degrade rapidly in sunlight though I haven't tried any of those recipies yet.

The Secretes of the Reverende Maister Alexis of Piemount, published in 1558 gives recipies for blue, green and red. The recipies and some general information on leather dying are on Marc Carlson's website at http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/leather/ld.html.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find that sword grips were painted bright colors though. There were a wide array of bright pigments available in period, though I don't know how durable the binders would prove to be. It would be an interesting experiment to paint a sparring sword with period paints and see how well they hold up.

--
Al.
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Leather plus         Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the input and the pictures.

Craig Johnson wrote:
I will add my voice to Peter's that period grips where done with both, as well as each type of attachment as far as I have seen. One element to remember is that not all where done with leather. Other materials and constructions were used regularly. You can easily find examples covered with fabric, knot work and in some cases metal. There is also the possibility of binding or strap work.

I was under the impression that wire grips were primarily a 15th century and later phenomenon, is this right? I know there have been examples of wire on grips earlier but I seem to recall that those were all wire binding over another grip material rather than a totally wire-bound grip.

Quote:

As far as color, art and several examples indicate that there would have been more color choice by far than todays examples. The modern market place has a bias to "manly" earth tones in leather. Surprised

I wonder whether this is because people's perception of the middle ages in general is that they were dull and that bright colors must require modern chemicals? A lot of people, if you ask them what color fabrics tended to be in the middle ages will say brown, in part because that's almost always what color they are after a few hundred years in a peat bog.

Quote:

The period customer would have been open to a far greater range of acceptable styles and colors of grip than we can sell today.

Another great detail that is left off modern reproductions is the use of tassels at the front and back of the grip. These are seen on several examples and in art but today their is little demand for such.

Neat, presumably they're there to help absorb liquids running down the blade, or are they just decorative, sort of the medieval equivalent of those tassely things that japanese teenagers seem to love hanging off their cellphones Happy

--
Al.
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
All of the swords that I saw in Germany that still had leather grips on them were glued only. There is one eception to that, where a small executioner's style sword had stitching on the grip. In every case the seam was visible, but the leather appeared very thin. Probably no more than 1 oz and possibly lighter. Grip colors included black, dark red, several shades of brown, and one white grip (it was real bumpy and may have been some kind of ray skin or something).

I don't know if any of the grips in question were modern replacements, but I don't think so.

-Grey

Thanks for the info Greyson.

I'd guess it was a fishskin of some kind. The only way to get really white leather in period was alum tawing, and it doesn't stay very white when waxed or greased and the alum salts wash out quite readily, leaving you with rawhide.

--
Al.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Period grip coverings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic