Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scottish Targes - Earliest Use ? Had Viking Influence ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin...

Thanks for the information on the book. I don't think I have that one. Will have to try to obtain one.

A metal plate should not be hard to spot on an X-ray!

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Martin...

Thanks for the information on the book. I don't think I have that one. Will have to try to obtain one.

A metal plate should not be hard to spot on an X-ray!

That's what i was thinking.

I might have to ask him.

I've got a couple of questions i want to ask him anyway...

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Targaids         Reply with quote

I just found this image on the web.........they look great to me, but im sure no expert.........One of them has fur hanging over the top of his targe and I have seen this several times used by reenactors.......I presume that this would help stop sword blow damage ?

Attachment: 102.17 KB
Highlanders & Lowlanders, Battle Ready.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe, but it looks more efficient as decoration.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure that group is historically accurate.... one of them is using a rapier, not a very scottish weapon...

Schola Gladiatoria
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wilkinson wrote:
I'm not sure that group is historically accurate.... one of them is using a rapier, not a very scottish weapon...

They're not historically accurate. I was involved with them 15 years ago. They're not historically-based. They gather info from a great range of sources and a wide time frame and then selectively ignore it as they wish. Good fun, but not a history lesson for sure.

The reason the person is carrying a rapier is that the group's main interest is to portray Renaissance (1580-1590) Scottish nobility. One need not look further than the kilt to see that they're doing Scottish (lowland) nobility all wrong.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Targe         Reply with quote

Ok, so the bunny-skin on top of that Targe is just for effect. ...... thats OK.
Now......so, whats the earliest pictorial representation of what we now know as a Targaid ? Can anyone quote a reference or even better , post an image ?

Thanks !

Merv ....... KOLR

Larry Davis

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Bullet proof targes?         Reply with quote

I have personaly examined over 30 period targes and all are of the pegged, cross ply / laminated type.
All made of wood, some of oak others of pine or Scotts pine ( similar to Jack pine or a northern fir).

But none matching the targe described above, nor have I seen any with a metal core or interior ply of metal.

I have made seven targes with the proper constrution techniques and materials that I intend to do controlled
ballistic testing on this spring.
All I have to do is make the jig to hold the targe and the accelerometre and Roberts your fathers brother!

There persists a group of people that maintain that a targe will stop a .75 cal musket ball!
I have seen a number of targes with holes in them, must be Highland moths or perhaps midges.

Cheers,

Larry
Larry Davis

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one of the X-rays that I have been using.
I hope it will be of some use to the members.

The plates that are showing are the decorative brass sheeting on the targe face, allso you can see the staple / nut attachment that holds the spike in place. This is placed under the brass boss.

Cheers,

Larry.

Attachment: 119.17 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 119.17 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet proof targes?         Reply with quote

Larry Davis wrote:
I have personaly examined over 30 period targes and all are of the pegged, cross ply / laminated type.
All made of wood, some of oak others of pine or Scotts pine ( similar to Jack pine or a northern fir).

But none matching the targe described above, nor have I seen any with a metal core or interior ply of metal.

I have made seven targes with the proper constrution techniques and materials that I intend to do controlled
All I have to do is make the jig to hold the targe and the accelerometre and Roberts your fathers brother!

There persists a group of people that maintain that a targe will stop a .75 cal musket ball!
I have seen a number of targes with holes in them, must be Highland moths or perhaps midges.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry...

Let me assure you that I am not among the group that thinks a targe will stop a musket ball. To build a targe that would stop one would result in a shield that was too heavy to use for its primary purpose, so what would be the point? During a battle you cannot crouch behind your shield the whole time.

The targe that Fletcher described may have been a aberration. I have been able to examine a couple of period targes and found no evidence of metal plates. All we have is the account from 1716, and that was what I was describing.

Lin Robinson

Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet proof targes?         Reply with quote

Larry Davis wrote:

Cheers,

Larry

A couple of questions :

#1 : Leather :
How do the leather coverings compare ? I mean original leather thickness and hardness compared to whats available to us when we make a reproduction targe ? Is there any evidence to support hardening of the leather on the originals ?
#2 Wood :
I might as well comment on the wood also as I know that several species were used and I know that many European shields of medieval period used Limewood as it has a good strength to weight ratio, but especially, it is springy and will absorb blows rather than transfer the energy through to the user. Many reenactors use pine which I know some Vikings used, but pine is soft. Is there a wood-type comparison list like what has been done with Viking shields ? Is the Scotts pine tougher ? Wouldnt Oak be very heavy ?
Thanks

Merv ....... KOLR

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Highland Clansman 1689 - 1746 by Stuart Reid. The illustration is by Angus McBride and based upon the description "by one Henry Fletcher, brother of the famous Laird of Saltoun in 1716".

Cheers, Henrik

Attachment: 32.16 KB
scan0001.jpg

Constant and true.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Targes         Reply with quote

Thanks Henrik...

I goofed. The letter writer was Henry Fletcher and Alexander was the recepient of the piece.

The illustration, as stated, definitely comes from the Fletcher description. The targe represented is also from the same article in "Scottish Weapons and Fortifications 1100 - 1800" by David Caldwell. The photo of an original targe from the Gwynn collection is in the article but there is no mention of it being "bullet proof". In fact, the feature of the targe that is prominently discussed, is the boss in the middle, which can be unscrewed and used as a drinking cup.

One thing I have neglected to mention was a description of a Highland warrior written by John Campbell in 1752. Campbell describes the targe as being bullet proof, but gives no detail on its destruction. Certainly his description, written well after the final disarming act, is not made from first hand observation and probably eludes to Fletcher's.

Thanks again for posting the picture. Now I can cancel the order I have in for the book.

Lin Robinson

Larry Davis

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the posting, I agree that a metal core targe would be to heavy to be of any practical use.
If I might inquire as to the location of the targes that you examined? I'm always looking for more examples to study.

Merv,

The face leather was about 1/8'' in thickness and did not show any evidence of 'hardening'.
It was brittle and cracked but that was just from age and handling. Some had been tooled and a few had areas that were coloured or dyed.
On a couple the leather was still flexible!
So if you used 1/8" cow hide on the face and say 1/16th deer or calf hide on the back it would be fairly close to what was used.

As to the types of wood used, I saw only oak, pine, fir (European) and the Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.; family Pinaceae)
and yes the pine was soft but then the strength is in the pegged laminations.
The targe was mainly used to deflect or parry a blow rather than to take it point on so it could be light.
The oak ones weighed in at about 8lbs on average while the lighter woods around 5 or 6 depending on the method of arm straps and how ornate the metal work.
The Scots pine was also known as 'deal' and most of the wood used in Scotland of that time was imported from Europe(Germany , Balkans etc.).

A few targes had a brass rim on the outside edge and showed cut marks at the 10 to 12 o'clock positions.

Yes there is a wood strength comparison list, three volumes, but I do not have them to hand at the moment.
You should be able to find something on the net though.

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for posting that picture, I spent about four hours with that particular targe and had the opportunity to discuss it with David Caldwell as well.
A fabulous piece, If I recall correctly it had an oak core and weighed about 8 1/2 lbs.
No metal insides just oak laminate, an in no way 'bullet proof'.

Check out the photo albums section under 'targe' for some really great photos of targes.

Cheers Larry.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Targes         Reply with quote

Larry...

I examined two targes at a gun show in Charlotte, NC, about eight years ago. The gentleman selling them said they were original and they certainly looked it. One had a metal rim, the other did not. The leather was cracked rather badly and the straps were gone. They were not particularly heavy and neither had a provision for a spike nor was the leather tooled. They were both heavily tacked but had no brass or steel plates. I have frequented the same gun show location since, but the guy has never been back so I have no name, address or any other information to provide. As near as I can recall, he wanted in excess of $800 for each. Could have been a great buy or not.

Sorry not to have been more help.

Lin Robinson

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Gwynn Targaid, residing athe Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Photos - T. McDonald, 2005

Attachment: 106.5 KB
Trip Gwynn targaid.jpg

Attachment: 74.23 KB
Trip Gwynn targaid boss.jpg

Attachment: 99.63 KB
Trip Gwynn targaid detail.jpg

Attachment: 94.14 KB
Trip Gwynn targais other bosses.jpg

Attachment: 124.22 KB
Trip Gwynn targaid full.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Targaids         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
The Gwynn Targaid, residing athe Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Photos - T. McDonald, 2005

Thanks Thomas for those great images. The backgroung areas look pinkish...... wonder if this was close to the original colour or if they were once red and have now faded. Also, the targaid looks curved......do you know how many were curved historically as compared to flat ? Are curved ones rare or mabye they are like 50/50 ? I've never seen a curved one reproduced today but perhaps its because they would be harder to make ? Have you seen any curved repros ?

Cheers !

Merv ....... KOLR

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Targaids         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
Thanks Thomas for those great images. The backgroung areas look pinkish...... wonder if this was close to the original colour or if they were once red and have now faded. Also, the targaid looks curved......do you know how many were curved historically as compared to flat ? Are curved ones rare or mabye they are like 50/50 ? I've never seen a curved one reproduced today but perhaps its because they would be harder to make ? Have you seen any curved repros ?Cheers !

Hi Merv

I've not seen any reproduction targaid that are curved, at least that I can remember ?

I suspect many of these originals, that now appear curved, are just victims of wood warpage !
(entirely possible, too, that the makers figured this into their creation, on some, when building them ?)

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That targe is stunning.

The background looks like linen or similar so it's probably faded, but it could well have been pink at the time. Personally, i think it looks good with pink.

Schola Gladiatoria
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's interesting that the Penicuik sketches from c. 1745-46 show several concave targes. Artistic license, perhaps? But the unknown artist also shows basket hilts with curved and clipped blades.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scottish Targes - Earliest Use ? Had Viking Influence ?
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: