Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need project advice--medieval helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Need project advice--medieval helmet         Reply with quote

I have an old civil defense helmet of the type shown below (photo from a current ebay auction). I'd rather have a mid-late 15th c. "kettle" type infantry helmet. In theory, I just need to strip the paint down to the bare, bright steel and make a new liner and chin strap to convert one to the other. But would the overall form be appropriate for the period? All I'm seeing are the type with reinforced bowls and separate brims. Seems like the one-piece design of the CD helmet would be simpler, if not necessarily as strong. Before I proceed, I need to see some good examples of the 15th c. helmet type. Does anybody know of such--antiques, artwork or repros? I've seen the BestArmour kettlehats and sifted through the fora here, but no luck yet. Period artwork is especially welcome. If the form won't work for this period, but would for a later period, I'd like to know that as well. Any advice?

Thanks!

Attachment: 15.33 KB
97_1_b.JPG

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try here
http://www.bagrit.pl/artykuly/artykuly.php?ar...25&k=1

http://www.bagrit.pl/artykuly/artykuly.php?ar...00&k=1 second part-unfortunately in polish...

there are some drowings that may help

In my opinion 15century kettle hats had different bell shapes than civil defense helmet...(for egzample central 'rib' )

Here are some reproductions.
http://www.tomala.lublin.pl/index.php?strona=...mp;lng=eng

I have half of my armour including helmet made by Tomasz Samuła and it is good enough for heavy unstaged battles Wink Cool

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great resources, Michal! Thanks!

This one actually isn't too far removed (for my use, anyway).

Attachment: 44.37 KB
kapal2_2_15.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yes-this one can be made..probably.Maybe several hits with hammer and that nice top will appear ...but you have to ask someone experienced with armour making.
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

CD helms are pressed to shape so the metal is easy to tear open if you work it cold, best thing to do is hammer it hot if you can. There is a fellow I know who cut the brim off, added a center ridge, added large roundels, and added neck scales to look just like some helmets you see in King Rene's book or tournement.
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know its not exactly what you wanted, but I antiqued my civil defense helmet a couple years ago. This is the before and after.

If you are interested in knowing the aging technique Sean, drop me a PM.

Mike

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is yours based on any particular original type, Michael?
-Sean

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need project advice--medieval helmet         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I have an old civil defense helmet of the type shown below (photo from a current ebay auction). I'd rather have a mid-late 15th c. "kettle" type infantry helmet. In theory, I just need to strip the paint down to the bare, bright steel and make a new liner and chin strap to convert one to the other. But would the overall form be appropriate for the period? All I'm seeing are the type with reinforced bowls and separate brims. Seems like the one-piece design of the CD helmet would be simpler, if not necessarily as strong. Before I proceed, I need to see some good examples of the 15th c. helmet type. Does anybody know of such--antiques, artwork or repros? I've seen the BestArmour kettlehats and sifted through the fora here, but no luck yet. Period artwork is especially welcome. If the form won't work for this period, but would for a later period, I'd like to know that as well. Any advice?

Thanks!

No cold working, you have to anneal it <(soften) heating it for quite some time on a forge, than you can start some hot and cold working.

Better hot.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I do this at all, I won't do any working of the metal apart from drilling holes for the new lining/rivets. I just want to get as close to an original design as, say, MRL does with its helmets. This would just be a shelf piece--a way to get this helmet out of a box and on display.
-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need project advice--medieval helmet         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Before I proceed, I need to see some good examples of the 15th c. helmet type. Does anybody know of such--antiques, artwork or repros? I've seen the BestArmour kettlehats and sifted through the fora here, but no luck yet. Period artwork is especially welcome. If the form won't work for this period, but would for a later period, I'd like to know that as well. Any advice?

Thanks!

There are a couple here on this site. ( Repros ) http://www.armurerieduduche.com/Site%20Anglai...Casque.htm

Not sure if their styles are exactly what you are looking for ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Merv Cannon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: kETTLE HELMS         Reply with quote

Hi ............ Some of the guys at our annual big rrmedieval event had helms which looked quite close to authentic types. They said they were ...I think..... Bulgarian Army helms. They looked great because they had Three centeral ridges ........actually, they might have been French now that I think about it. Here in Oz theres an e-Bay store called Red Corner Galleria and they sell them for about A$40 . You might find that some of the East European helmets are far closer to medieval shape than western types. As everything over here seems to cost a lot of muney, you should get these East Europren helms a lot cheaper.
Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thread on this subject turned up this very helpful illustration from the Companie of St. George. Full text of Dragon #5 is here: http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/dragon-5.pdf

Attachment: 95.53 KB
helmets.jpg

-Sean

Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,
good luck with your project. I had a similar thought years ago, as some of our old canadian equipment evoked the same time frame, the old tommy helmets which were still in use in WWII, very different lines than the US or german helmets. I abandonned when I realized that the alloy used could not be worked like steel, way to hard and brittle, great for deflecting high velocity rounds....as for simply giving it a paint job, well it ended up looking like a modern helmet with a paint job.
Now your civil defense model is closer in its' lines to what you wish to emulate, so maybe you have a better shot at it than I did with the british/canadian model. Who knows, maybe cd helms are softer and won't chew up as many drill bits when you try to add a few rivets for appearances sake. Have fun.
Jean-Carle

Bon coeur et bon bras
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the same expirience as Jean years back. What I had told to me at several gun shows where I related the story was that the better steel went to making gun and artillery barrels, and that a lower grade steel was used on helmets. What they did was paint the helmet with a case hardening paste ( this stuff is still around. Its sometimes used on farms when bladed field equipment gets worn down. The edge is reground and then this paste is applied and heated to red hot and allowed to cool. The paste case hardens the surface) heat it to red hot and allow it to cool. Once applied it won't anneal so its always that hard. Wheather its an old gunshowers tale or not I don't know but the paste does exist, a buddy of mine married into a farm family and they have and use it. McMaster Carr used to carry it.
Brenton Hudson

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a bit of trivial information, any type of helmet that covered the face regardless of whether it had a visor or not, was called a helm. Those that didn't cover the face were called helmets.
Kevin Inouye

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting- I've got the exact same helmet, and have been trying to do the exact same thing. So far I've got it sanded down to bare metal, but haven't done anything else yet. Had thought about adding a brass strip down the centerline and maybe along the rim just to dress it up...
Freelance Hack... and slash... and thrust...
www.fightdesigner.com
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I finally get around to this project, I'll just use Citrus Strip and a sanding sponge (hopefully that's all it'll take). Then I'll make a new band and liner from a Goodwill belt and chamois. Nails for rivets. Remains of the belt will serve as chin strap, as in the illustration above. Might make a simple buckle like the one shown below. I want the piece to look good, but I'm not a stitch counter. This is going to sit on a shelf until my son, due in August, has a head and imagination big enough to wear it years from now.

Attachment: 62.43 KB
[ Download ]

-Sean

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Notice the man standing at far left in this photo from the Company of St. George's gallery:
http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/images/pi...tated.jpeg

That's the look I'm aiming for. Judging from the CSG's helmet illustrations shown above, I'm guessing this would be Burgundian, late 15th c. The CSG site is amazing, by the way. Don't miss it. http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/index_1.phtml

-Sean

Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin Inouye wrote:
Interesting- I've got the exact same helmet, and have been trying to do the exact same thing. So far I've got it sanded down to bare metal, but haven't done anything else yet. Had thought about adding a brass strip down the centerline and maybe along the rim just to dress it up...

I bought an old hard hat some years ago (steel not plastic) with the same thing in mind. It is sitting on a rack in my basement along with a bunch of old military helmets. Maybe my grandson will do something with it...

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need project advice--medieval helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic