Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Next Gen Agincourt...additional hands-on info? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Charles Grantham

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Albion's Next Gen Agincourt...additional hands-on info?         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

Besides the hands-on review herein i have seen very little info about Albion's NG Agincourt sword. I am sure some of you own or at least have handled this fine weapon and i would like to know a bit more about it handles and how it performs, especially compared to the Tallhoffer (although the same blade types, the pommel, grip and guards of the two look like there could be significant differences in handling).

Also, i have come across accounts of mishaps where the blades of these two type XVa's have taken a slight bend during cutting practice. Now was this due to a degree of misuse of the blade type or a production/tempering flaw? And if the latter is the case has Albion since remedied this problem? This is a concern because, obvioulsy I'm looking at buying one such weapon and do plan on cutting and thrusting certain things from time to time.

This is my first time posting, but i have been lurking around the forums and reviews for quite some time and have found a wealth of information contained therein, but if i have missed a post or thread regarding my questions please point me to it.

Thanks guys!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only instance of one of these blades taking a set is this one from John Clements of ARMA.
http://www.thearma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ght=albion

John states the set didn't effect the swords handling and was expected due to the stresses he was placing upon the sword. John seems to think quite highly of the sword and I don't see it as a problem or flaw, simply a result of the exercise being performed.
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read on a forum (maybe ARMA?) of an Agincourt, or maybe a talhoffer, getting it's tip bent. The person who owned it didn't quite understand how to use a wooden pell and was practicing on it full force(instead of playing off the pell). That was the only other blade problem I've heard of with the XVa's. It wasn't described as a huge bend or roll (maybe about 1 inch), and given the nature of wood, I personally wouldn't call it a blade failure. For a sword to withstand use on a pell like that, I think that's pretty good.
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick here. The only case I've heard of was John, and I would class it is a somewhat intentional misuse. He was intending to put the sword through some rather punishing work, and wasn't surprised by the damage. If you'll note in the thread Patrick linked, Peter Johnsson dropped in to comment on swords taking damage and John agreed completely. I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about the possibility of damaging this sword.

As to your original question, I have had the opportunity to handle both in person, the Agincourt and Talhoffer both at the Albion showroom, and I've used my brother's Talhoffer in cutting tests on light targets. I personally preferred the Agincourt in handling, though I have to say they're very similar. I think point control is pretty comparable, though I might have to give a slight edge to the Talhoffer as it is slightly easier to grip the pommel and thus separate the hands that fraction more. The Agincourt I handled seemed to transition from cut to cut a little more smoothly than the Talhoffer. I'm not certain whether that is a difference between the two models or between the two specific swords I was handling, however.

Hope some of that was helpful.
Mark W

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an Agincourt, and it is truly an amazing sword. Every time I handle the thing I smile. The handling is exeptional, to be quite honest. I've handled other Albions (the Regent and Viceroy), and have an Earl on order, so I'm a satisfied Albion customer. I'm quite fond of the wheel pommel, and I find that it helps with blade alignment. While it's certainly optimized for thrusting, I've had no problems using it for test cutting. I've had the sword for the better part of a year, and it's seen some reasonably hard use. I don't baby the thing (nor do I abuse it), and it's held up well. The grip is amazingly solid. It feels really alive in the hand, and the balance is superb. The owner of the Regent and Viceroy I've hanlded is very jealous of my Agincourt. He's planning on getting a XVa as a result of using mine. Is that a ringing enough endorsement?

Best regards,

-Mark

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Next Gen Agincourt...additional hands-on info?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic