Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mace/Flail Combination Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Mace/Flail Combination         Reply with quote

Was there any type of mace and flail combination that would have allowed the top of the mace head to be unscrewed/released to allow a length of metal chain that was connected to the inside of the mace head to fall out from a hollow steel shaft, so that it could be used as a flail instead of a mace?
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't say that there was. I don't think the idea of a hollow part of any weapon would appeal to any professional warrior, as it could be far more easily damaged and would cost a lot more to make.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did some looking into combination weapons and didn't see anything like that (not that that means it didn't exist). There are maces, axes and other polearms with hollow parts, though. Some house retractable blades. For some, the hollow part serves as the barrel of the firearm it's mated with. There were even a couple of maces with hollow grips that housed folding game boards (chess and backgammon I believe).
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
R Looije

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know of similar flail-canes from Japan, but those were wooden wooden shafts with metal weights on a chain, so they were slightly different.
So all in all I don't think it is impossible to assume that something along those lines might have been in use in Europe.

"Ik worstel en kom boven" (I struggle and prevail) - Motto for Zeeland, Holland
James Barker

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not sure that it would be practical. The mace and flail were mainly back up weapons for men on horse that broke a lance, having to play with it in full armor makes little sense.

Then again there are tons of odd combo weapons out there, who knows. Tolhoffer drew an unarmored combat idea where you take the pommel of your sword off and throw it at your enemy, seems like a medieval fanboy idea Wink

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
Not sure that it would be practical. The mace and flail were mainly back up weapons for men on horse that broke a lance, having to play with it in full armor makes little sense.

Then again there are tons of odd combo weapons out there, who knows. Tolhoffer drew an unarmored combat idea where you take the pommel of your sword off and throw it at your enemy, seems like a medieval fanboy idea Wink

Isn't the Pommel secured?

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:

That's odd. A sword's pommel would most likely have been peened down by the tang during Talhoffer's time. Either way this seems like a highly ineffective technique.

If a guy pulls out a wrench and starts loosening his pommel... I will know to shoot in then! Laughing Out Loud

Travis
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are some interesting combinations weapons and I would have never thought of removing the pommel of a sword and using it as a weapon. I know that europe had alot of both unique and odd combination weapons. I think India had even more bizarre combination weapons than there were in Europe. I'm going to look into this and see if I can find anything that relates to what I'm trying to find!
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could this Japanese weapon called a shikomi chigirigi be considered a Mace and Flail weapon combination?
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:

Where did he show that?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the war flail and club seem to have made up a great majority of non-knightly troops in hussite armies (yes indeed in the hodetin ordinance 50 percent of the men of 30 are flailmen-only 2 are guns, 6 crossbows, 4 halbardiers, 2 shieldmen and 2 drivers the ordinance takes place some years after the start so it could have been more or less at other times). In most of the primamry accounts I have come across it is the war club or war flail listed as the weapon all the knights and nobles fear fighting, not the wagons or guns/cannons.

I agree I do not know how effective unscrewing the top would be nor why. You would have to do it before battle so what would the motivation be? OK today fighting the Hungarians-flail tomorrow fighting the poles mace? Laughing Out Loud It may certainly have existed but I cannot think of what its function would be really, except perhaps as a training flail or something Big Grin Never have seen one but I will keep my eyes open for you,

RPM
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
James Barker wrote:

Where did he show that?

I don't know of Talhoffer showing this, but I do know that one picture from "Gladiatoria" is interpreted to show this:

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Gladiatoria/15.jpg

see also here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiatoria

Apparently screw-on pommels existed in that time...

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mace/Flail Combination
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic