Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unusual European "Pot "-Helm - 13thC. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
bruno,

having had the benefit of handling real medieval helmets from a few large collections I can say most w/out padding were bigger than my head. I assume with the proper padding their heads were not very different than ours by any great size. PErhaps most were shorter but the average heights still was 5'6", not a huge jump with some places in our day and their skulls look about the same size as ours. I believe the average now is 5'8" for men

I think the workmanship just looks 19th century to me. I have seen some good fakes having worked in a museum and had access to great resources but that first helmet is just weird. It combines things that do not seem to work for the 13th. That said 13th might be a typo, perhaps 14th century, which would make way more sense for the chest clasp, which would make this a tourney helmet and further it in the late 14th. That said the general type of helmet now is out of the time it would more or less fit in. The face is odd but in general it just looks wierd and the craftsmanships looks very poor. I have seen historic helmets of low quality, every rivet or the piece in general being noticibly asemetric and other things but my guess if later remake. Reminds me of the Violet le Duc one more than nought. Some of the auction companies should be viewed catiously they get things wrong too. I do wonder about them using carbon 14 and that coming out to what they said it did. I wonder if this has been severly modified. I worked on some pauldrons that had clearly been worked on by some local metal worked with minimal understanding of the piece as the lames were attached backwards on one.... It could in part of all be orignal medieval material but just assembled differently later (likely 19th as their are similar fakes of very similar design).

I think the second ones are interesting. They look much more probable as medieval. Any more info one them?
No doubt many types of helmets existed,not sure on number one though.

RPM

The few original ones I could examine wouldn't enter not only my big head, but also a normal one.

Either I examined a collection of child helmets or I was really unlucky.

Obviously I'm not saying you are not telling the truth.

My head size is an european 60.

For the rest I tottaly agree, also the other helmet posted by Merv looks leDuc-ish.

19th century reconstructors had access to sketches that were heavily based on nonscientific studies
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not sure what a european size 60 is but my head is 22 and 1/2 (I think) inches-which is a medium or so. If 60 is in CM's then your head is a bit large but not abnormal or anything. I had the benefit to work in a museum with the arms and armour and do not think any of the helmets were so small they would not fit on an adults head with some padding, usually a knit cap as we let the public try them on. I have the interier dimentions of the York (coppergate) helmet, which was actually bigger than the repo I made of it so I had to make it a bit smaller to fit my fairly padded head. The bascients I looked at at the RA and sallets and other helmets all fit in the same catagory. Aside from the helmets themselves looking at the skull themselves measurements there is not much difference in size from the little reading and research I have done on graves (I am not terribly into that but they are in the reports so I read them). You may have seen childrens helmets as they have a small collection of childrens armour at the RA as well (mostly after the medieval period). The only helmets I have seen that I have not figured how they fit on an adults head were corinth style greek helmets from 400 plus BC. They looked smallish but I did not want to try one on to check. Apart from those three though the other helmets would have fit my head with some padding, particulary a mid to late 15th armet was much larger than my head. I have tried on about a dozen or two dozen 16th century helmets and a easily twice that or more of 17th century ones (I think I have some pictures floating around of a suit I cleaned up with me in the close helmet). I would be interested in the circumferance of them to see what they run.

Don't worry I don't think you are calling me a liar or anything, I figure on the forum it is here for us to compare what we have seen, read and learned.

RPM
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that I have given this subject more thought, I am noticing that Merv makes some very good points. Why do we so easily suppose that all period pieces must be of medium to high quality, in order to be genuine? Are we left over with only the creme-de-la-creme of arms and armour by default, since we as a society really only keep the better examples of historic things around? Would "practice" pieces ever have been used in combat by participants of limited wealth, or those behind on their luck? How many "first-" or "second" tries at usable arms or armour would have been around in those times? Could there have been theater type groups in need of stage pieces during those times? I'm quite sure that purchasing the "real" thing might have been prohibitively expensive.

As a child, I personally tinkered with making semi-functional armour pieces for play combat with my friends. They were made very rudimentarily, with only the finest pieces of scrap HVAC ducting, lol. I even went to the local university library to learn about how armour was made during medievil times. I had breastplates with tassets, great helms, spaulders, and mail items. Nothing was dished very much, if at all. These pieces served my friends and I well, and gave us a decent amount of use. I also found out why cod-pieces were invented, lol.

A few years ago, about twenty seven years later, I came across these items in my storage while getting rid of useless stuff. I relived fond childhood memories as I inspected the pieces, they seemed having been an admirable effort for a thirteen year old. They currently reside in the dump. I kept the shield, since I liked it's well-painted black tuetonic eagle motif... case in point!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think my main reason for thinking it is fake is it is similar to other fakes out there. The fact it is also a combination of a much earlier helmet with a jousting attachment also seems a bit off as well. I have no doubt many helmets existed of various qualities but this one just does not look right to me. F. Laking had a really interesting section in his series on fakes that help elaborate this more.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unusual European "Pot "-Helm - 13thC.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: