Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alternative cutting targets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
...it has a serious effect on the edge of cutting implements if it is not cleaned off immediately.

Hmmm... Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip.
J Anstey

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Condon wrote:
Joshua,

may I ask what you are using for your cutting tests? I was just wondering because Japan has very strict sword ownership laws so I was under the impression that only people with a collectors license could have a proper katana. I've never really known any clubs that had access to real swords.

Do you by any chance belong to an akido or iaido club? If so there is a good chance that the blades you are using are iaito which are imitation swords made from aluminium alloy that passes Japanese legal requirements. They are generally only used for form practice and are usually too fragile to handle contact so I'd be very careful about doing cutting tests with one. I don't know if you are in the same situation but a number of my friends owned and were using expensive iaito without realising that they weren't real swords and were not not strong enough for contact.

Hi Ben

I am afraid that some of this is incorrect. Shinken (true/real swords) need to be registered with the government. Only swords made by traditional ways IN Japan are allowed, numbers allowed to be made each year and smiths are heavily regulated. To the best of my knowledge the sword is licensed not the owner. Maybe you need to be a member of a dojo ??(this I am not sure of)

Mogito (alloy practice sword) don't come under this regulation, thus they are cheaper and more widely used by beginners in Japanese sword arts. You are right that these swords are no good whatsoever for test cutting. Having said that Joshua obviously has a Sensei in Japan and has done some test cutting so I think it is safe to assume that he knows the difference between Shinken and Mogito.

I think that Joshua is interested in finding out is what Western martial artists use for their test cutting, so he may experiment with targets that differ from the norm in Japan - tatami.

Cheers Jason

PS. there was a great scene in a movie called "the Hunted" (Christopher Lambert) where one of the main characters proceeded to cut up a Shinkansen with his katana!!! Big Grin Big Grin
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did anybody mention "pool noodles"? Every now and then I see them for .99 apiece. They also make good "boffers" when fitted over pvc pipe and covered with duct tape.

JSA
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, the credit for this one goes to my old man. We have a wood pellet stove. So my dad had the ingenious idea of taking some of the wood pellets, putting them in a plastic sandwich bag and then wetting them so they swell up and get all spongy. So there you have it... a plastic bag filled with soggy pellets. Big Grin Ridiculous, yet effective cutting target.

Last edited by Josh MacNeil on Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
[
PS. there was a great scene in a movie called "the Hunted" (Christopher Lambert) where one of the main characters proceeded to cut up a Shinkansen with his katana!!! Big Grin Big Grin

That movie was suprisingly unterrible.
J Anstey

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
J Anstey wrote:
[

That movie was suprisingly unterrible.

agreed, I enjoyed it, it was a bit of fun. From memory I think a stone lantern even got cut in half so me thinks, so either Sam was quoting this film or has an uncanny ability to see into the mind of a B+ filmaker Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alternative cutting targets
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: