myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman Era Gear? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say forget the maille and concentrate on the kit items that can be attained with a higher degree of authenticity. Whenever I finish a kit of this period I will present myself as a poorer knight or maybe man-at-arms who could not afford a hauberk. I do have the concern that this would not make sense if I have a quality sword but I am not sure on this matter.

Jeremy
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Norman vs. Saxon         Reply with quote

Lawrence Moran wrote:
LOL...Don't get me wrong here...I am not making a value judgement about the Normans versus the Saxons-English. Or rather, I am not saying one is superior and the inferior. I just think I like the feel of the English-Saxon side more than I like the feel of the Norman side.

I am seeing that the kit is pretty similar, which is good because I like the so called "Age of Maille" more than the later periods. I am not sure I would want to go back into the classic Viking period either as it has stylistic elements I am not really interested in embracing though I do like the period.

One thing I know for sure is that I am not interested in paying with axes, no matter how well designed or beautiful they might be Patrick...I am thinking I am going with the maille, a round shield, a sword, a spear, a seax, and the period appropriate garb. That should give me a good foundation and perhaps some ideas as to how much I want to narrow in on a specific region in England or on a specific date.

Now I just have to talk the wife into letting me shell out the money for a quality sword...I am debating the advisability of buying a slightly less expensive sword for wear and a rebated sword for sparring and combat drills. Of course, I want one of the Albion blades...they look damn nice and the reviews are glowing. I suppose I will just have to stick with the swords I have now and concentrate on a shield and the armor. So, where can I get a decent wedge rivetted hauberk for under $500?

For the most part I will agree with Patrick, wedge riveted isn't super important. Just about any riveted is fine, but personally I don't like the look of round section rings with flattened ends. Just looks too much like soda tabs to me. Plus flattened rings are stronger, due to the cross-section. The only real advantage of wedge rivets is the rings have a smooth side, which prevents hanging on your clothes. Currently I own one of Von Sussen's wedge riveted shirts, and I love it. I also previously owned one of the Kingslance (Patrick: are they the same as wholesalearmoury?) round rivet shirts, but traded it due to my inability to wear a galvanized hauberk for any extended period.
Which reminds me; some people (like myself) are very sensitive to the smell of galvanization (others seem to like the "metallic" smell). Of course for authenticity reasons you are gonna wanna strip any galvanization off anyway. Anyway, if you want wedge riveted for the best price go with Von Sussen. The quality control isn't quite as good as Forth Armoury (best production maille in the business IMO), but my hauberk was well made, and stands up well to a full speed SCA beating, so you'll be fine in pulled blow sparring. Round ring is fine too, and can be had for alot cheaper, but you'll probably have to strip it, since most round ring on the market seems to come with a galvy coat.
As for the axe thing, you are making some huscarl roll in his grave saying that kinda thing Razz Yeah they can be dangerous, but I have a few live steel friends who do Norman/Saxon and they use them safely. Their is some special training involved to make sure no one is hurt. But once you are, nothing puts on a show for the spectators like a blunted axe smashing through a shield. Eek!

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Norman vs. Saxon         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
For the most part I will agree with Patrick, wedge riveted isn't super important. Just about any riveted is fine, but personally I don't like the look of round section rings with flattened ends. Just looks too much like soda tabs to me.

Neither do I which is why I was refering to flattened rings with round rivets. Big Grin My friend Greg recently bought an Indian made coif of round rings. The rivet ends were far better than the old ones and it doesn't really have the pop-tab look to it. I still prefer the flat rings out of what's available.

Quote:
Currently I own one of Von Sussen's wedge riveted shirts, and I love it. I also previously owned one of the Kingslance (Patrick: are they the same as wholesalearmoury?) round rivet shirts, but traded it due to my inability to wear a galvanized hauberk for any extended period.

Yes, same company. On ebay they advertise as Kingslance but their website says Wholesale armor. Actually, all of the Indian made mail comes from the same place. You'll see a lot of blurbs from different sellers quoting "specially made for us", but that's rubbish. It's all coming from the same Indian subcontractor.

Quote:
As for the axe thing, you are making some huscarl roll in his grave saying that kinda thing Razz Yeah they can be dangerous......

And swords aren't? Big Grin
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well my jealousy got the best of me, Patrick. I broke down and ordered the Senlac. I took alot of internal debate to choose between the Senlac, Bayeux, and Reeve. Ultimately I choose the Senlac, since it the archetype of the 11th Century Norman sword, and the Bayeux and Reeve are closer in proportion to the 1st Gen Hastings I already own. I am really hyped about it! Now I just have to suffer through the long (not really, but it will feel that way) wait...
Now if only I could learn to make a scabbard, or commision someone to make one (actually I need two Cry )

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Well my jealousy got the best of me, Patrick. I broke down and ordered the Senlac. I took alot of internal debate to choose between the Senlac, Bayeux, and Reeve. Ultimately I choose the Senlac, since it the archetype of the 11th Century Norman sword, and the Bayeux and Reeve are closer in proportion to the 1st Gen Hastings I already own. I am really hyped about it! Now I just have to suffer through the long (not really, but it will feel that way) wait...
Now if only I could learn to make a scabbard, or commision someone to make one (actually I need two Cry )

Well, for scabbards one solution if the waiting time for an Albion made one is still very long is to have the sword shipped to a scabbard maker who will then ship the sword and scabbard to you. ( I am doing this for my OlliN custom sword by having Russ Ellis make a scabbard for it ) http://www.tritonworks.com/ ( Obviously, contact the scabbard maker first to make the arrangements and then ask Mike at Albion to ship to him. )

Another solution is to buy your Albion sword from Christian Fletcher and a scabbard ( or two ??? )
http://www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Welcome.html

Or like you said learn to make your own. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman Era Gear?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: