Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gunstock clubs and other native American clubs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr

Knives - yes
Body Armour - yes
Tomahawks - yes
Clubs - yes (still more to scan)

Where can you buy it from? Unknown.

I must have purchased it about 10 years ago, and its been sitting in a dark cupboard untouched for many years.

I was quite surprised when I cleaned out the cupboard and discovered the book.

I've been meaning to scan many of the pictures for the last few months, however never got around to it until your post.

I'll scan more pictures in the next few weeks as I'm on holidays from work now and will post them once scanned.

Danny
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found this website the other day with some great information and pics of Native American clubs and weapons:

http://www.splendidheritage.com/nindex.html

Search: Club then click on DISPLAY on the left handside

Enjoy

Danny
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also fascinated by these and I have a lot of photos i've found of various North American weapons, as well as similar Pacfiic Islanders weapons of more recent make. I'll try to find some time to U/L a few to somewhere I can host 'em and post the images here.

Richard Burton (the 19th century guy, not the actor) had some interesting, if somewhat archaic theories about wooden 'clubs' like this and the development of swords.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
John H.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danny Grigg wrote:
I found this website the other day with some great information and pics of Native American clubs and weapons:

http://www.splendidheritage.com/nindex.html

Search: Club then click on DISPLAY on the left handside

Enjoy

Danny

Wow, that's an awesome resource!

I don't know how I missed this thread all this time. I am in the middle of constructing several 'gunstock' clubs right now. A friend of mine (who is of Native American descent) is giving me pointers. He has a huge stockpile of the customary decorative materials (feathers, beads, bones, etc) that were used. I will post pix when I finish. Big Grin
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr,

The blades you see on many of the clubs were originally traded to the Indians by the Hudson's Bay Company. They are/were called Hudson Bay Dags. They were used to make spear points, clubs wide bladed daggers and knives. I'm sorry to say that I don't know anywhere to get an authentic replica of one but I do know that Cold Steel makes or made a reasonable facsimile.

I suspect that the wooden parts of the clubs were probably roots gleaned from blown down trees. It stands to reason that a piece of wood that was already in the shape of the club would be stronger and more resilient than one cut across the grain.

Best wishes and good luck,

Ken Speed
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two years ago I saw an actual indian cudgel, similar to the 3rd example in the first post, on display at the 2nd floor, NE corner of the Smithsonian American Art museum. There were no metal protrusions. The obvious contact point was just a grapefruit sized wooden sphere. That one looked like it came from a tree limb with a "cancerous growth." There was also one with a rock affixed (like a curved blunt axe type implement.) These appeared to be carved from dark hardwood limbs, still in good shape. I am guessing but think they were dated to late 18th or early 19th century. Overall sizes were roughly roughly single hand sword length and comparable weight (my best guess as a woodworker.)

I used to be a real fanatic about indians and Westward frontier expansion as a youth. I never recall encountering the "gun stock club" before. I am a little skeptical that indians fashioned these, as are some others....
http://www.fruitlands.org/object.php?id=12

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gunstock clubs and other native American clubs
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: