Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nick B.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Viking sword         Reply with quote

Has anyone out there purchased a Viking sword from Vladimir Cenvenka? I'm thinking about ordering one from him but have never done business with him before. I saw the report on one of his Viking swords but would appreciate any other opinions on this swordsmith and his work. Thanks for any opinions.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have full reviews of two of his Viking swords on our Reviews page. Enjoy!
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Please check this link: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...t=cervenka
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will just add that I bought a Cervenka Viking sword recently (which had come up on the myArmoury market place about the same time my tax refund came in Happy). I certainly don't have the experience to review the sword in depth like Kirk Lee Spencer did, but I can add some observations. The finish of the sword is somewhat crude. If you are looking for straight grind lines and a consistent satin finish, look elsewhere. Despite that, I really like the sword. It feels good in the hand and the imperfections actually make it seem more individual. I guess it is a matter of taste. According to the fellow I purchased it from, he had waited approx 2 years for delivery, so that is something you might wish to take into consideration.

[/img]

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Andrews wrote:
The finish of the sword is somewhat crude. If you are looking for straight grind lines and a consistent satin finish, look elsewhere. Despite that, I really like the sword. It feels good in the hand and the imperfections actually make it seem more individual. I guess it is a matter of taste. According to the fellow I purchased it from, he had waited approx 2 years for delivery, so that is something you might wish to take into consideration.

[/img]

I agree totally with Allen. Somewhat crude but feeling good in the hand. Matter of taste yes, I do like it.
I purchased directly from Vladimir Cervenka and must add that he is a very nice guy to deal with. The waiting time was one year when I ordered but now it is two years.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Andrews wrote:
I will just add that I bought a Cervenka Viking sword recently (which had come up on the myArmoury market place about the same time my tax refund came in Happy). I certainly don't have the experience to review the sword in depth like Kirk Lee Spencer did, but I can add some observations. The finish of the sword is somewhat crude. If you are looking for straight grind lines and a consistent satin finish, look elsewhere. Despite that, I really like the sword. It feels good in the hand and the imperfections actually make it seem more individual. I guess it is a matter of taste. According to the fellow I purchased it from, he had waited approx 2 years for delivery, so that is something you might wish to take into consideration.

[/img]

I have noted that level of finish on many of the Cervenka pieces I've handled. It really bothered me because the man has some talent and seems to be just inches away from going from being a decent swordsmith to being a very good perhaps even great swordsmith. Anyway, long story short a few months ago I worked up a scabbard for a katzbalger and that katzbalger was actually finished out properly! Not the usual rough finish he does at all, so it would seem he CAN do it... but I'm betting you will have to pay extra.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure Russ, the value for money thing is important.
Maybe Vladimir is concerned by making low priced swords.
I live in France and as a comparison some prices for me (including shipping) where as follow :
Albion Huskarl (from Albion USA , 2004 price) 900 euros (1170 US $)
Albion Norman (from Albion Europe, 2006 price) 645 euros (840 US $)
V. Cervenka's viking, 2006 price, 300 euros (390 US $) So IMO it's good value for my money. Big Grin
Nick B.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks , this is exactly the information I was looking for to help me make up my mind. His sword looks good for the price but the two year wait is another thing. I haven't purchased a new sword in about three years now and can't wait another two years for one. I'm having blade withdrawals. Thank again.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic