Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Windlass Coustille Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Old and New Coustilles are very different and I have some numbers to share.

http://sara.tss.uh.edu/swords/display3.JPG

The Old Coustille (OC) and the New Coustille (NC) both have blades that are 16 3/4" long and 2" wide at the widest part next to the crossguard but thats where the similarities end.
The OC blade is wider and heavier than the NC along it length making it forward heavy and more like a sword than a dagger.
The Fuller is 10 1/4'" long from the crossguard on the OC and 12 1/2" on the NC adding to the weight on the older piece.
Both crossguards are 5" across but very different in style and feel. The handle on the OC is 4" long and only 3 3/4" long on the NC making it a better grip for an armoured hand to get around though it is also thinner than the NC. The NC is fatter and feels better in a non armoured hand of a glove only.
The balance is very different as well. The NC balance point is only 3/4" from the crossguard and on the OC is 2 1/4" from the crossguard.
The Pommels are also different. the OC pommel is 1 7/8" in diameter. and 15/16" thick as the NC pommel is also 1 7/8" in diameter but a full 1" thick. The OC also had 1/2" drill holes on both sides removing some weight off the pommel.

In short (no pun) the OC is much more like a sword with it forward weight and heavier blade and the NC more like a dagger with it quick balance and fat handle.

It almost seems like the OC screams to be a slashing blade doing the heavy work against armour and the NC acts like it's more sophisticated little brother wanting to be the quick and nimble off hand defender in a duel of honor.
Both are excellent pieces and both can find a nice home in any collection.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary, thanks for taking the time to provide a rundown on the stats for these two pieces. 'Answers some of my questions, at least. Wink

Mike

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the OC and thought it was a nice little weapon. I think with a grip rewrap it would look even better.

Bob,

I wish your wife would talk some sense into my wife. She doesn't understand why I "need" more than one sword. Big Grin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:

I wish your wife would talk some sense into my wife. She doesn't understand why I "need" more than one sword. Big Grin

Nathan
My wife isn't any different. We both came from an SCA background, but spending money on toys is just as hard for me as it is for you.
The way I do it is ask how many "New" shoes she has in the closet? She huffed at the OC when it came in, then I told her it was for her. Happy
On her hip, it looks like a sword! A big sword! Wink

But I didn't say that.

I didn't say this, I was not here. Happy Razz Big Grin

God created Arrakis to train the faithful.
from The Wisdom of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan

Are you scared, Connor?
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary, thank you very much for your analogy of the old and new Coustiles, I really appreciate this and now I am twinged with interest to check out this new Coustile and probably will buy it. Laughing Out Loud The fact that the new Coustile has a shorter and thicker grip and with the difference in how it is balance to being more like a dagger, presents itself to be rather interesting to me!

Thanks Much!

Bob
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Gary, thank you very much for your analogy of the old and new Coustiles, I really appreciate this and now I am twinged with interest to check out this new Coustile and probably will buy it. Laughing Out Loud The fact that the new Coustile has a shorter and thicker grip and with the difference in how it is balance to being more like a dagger, presents itself to be rather interesting to me!

Thanks Much!

Bob

If anyone wants to still get the old Coustille:
You better hurry, they are almost gone! I got mine at Strongblade.com. Though the page says out of stock, I called and found they had one. It is out of production and what is left over is going fast! I'd call and confirm at Strongblade and get it shipped ASAP.
And the good part is it's $68 to boot! IF you can get it.

Are you scared, Connor?
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

You are lucky that your wife has an interest in history and weaponry. My wife's eyes glaze over the minute I start talking about the Crusades etc... I will try the shoe analogy since she has more pairs than I can count Big Grin
You got a good price on the NC. I bought two sharpened ones from MRL for $138 each and was lucky to sell them for $100. That's what I get for being a compulsive buyer of weaponry. The good news is I got my new Albion Kingmaker (see separate thread) and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Nathan

PS

The Spice must flow

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gary for the "Heads Up" about the Old Coustile, thank goodness that I have it! Because I have always been quite fond of this piece! Which therefore of course peaks my interest about the New coustile!

Sincerely,

Bob
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

Any time. I am currently working on more displays. Trying to come up with a good way to display a rapier on the wall. I have the hardwood mount board, just don't know what to use to hold the sword.

Are you scared, Connor?
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went over to Kult of Athena this past Tuesday 9th Oct to ask Ryan about his trip to Europe and to check out the new Coustile and brought mine along for comparison, well, now I have 2 Coustiles, one of the former type and one of the new type. I like the new Coustile with it's thicker grip and the new style of crossguard, it definitely has a different feel to it and it's fun to practice with two Huge daggers simultaneously! Evil
I sharpened it to lethal status as soon as I got home, which is the condition I keep all my blades in. I have lot's of stones and all the sandpaper grits up to 2,000 and a good quality fine file for the occasional new blade such as a Windlass product that necessitates a lot of initial honing.
At $99.95 or so, this is a real nice huge and menacing dagger!

Bob
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I went over to Kult of Athena this past Tuesday 9th Oct to ask Ryan about his trip to Europe and to check out the new Coustile and brought mine along for comparison, well, now I have 2 Coustiles, one of the former type and one of the new type. I like the new Coustile with it's thicker grip and the new style of crossguard, it definitely has a different feel to it and it's fun to practice with two Huge daggers simultaneously! Evil
I sharpened it to lethal status as soon as I got home, which is the condition I keep all my blades in. I have lot's of stones and all the sandpaper grits up to 2,000 and a good quality fine file for the occasional new blade such as a Windlass product that necessitates a lot of initial honing.
At $99.95 or so, this is a real nice huge and menacing dagger!

Bob

If you ever watch the movie, Flesh and Blood, there is a fighter who uses two large daggers in the movie. His bud ties them up with a shield and he sneeks in lets him have it!
Nasty way to die!

Are you scared, Connor?
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gary, I will watch for it, yep I do have this movie on DVD!
Also, I gave the new Coustile to my wife Gayle and she LOVES it! She already had the Medieval Sword Hilted Dagger and the new Coustile has a matching pommel.
She also has another nice Windlass dagger, it's solid brass hilted. Also, a year ago I bought her the Arms & Armor
Elector of Saxony Dagger with Deluxe Scabbard, which she loves a lot. She likes daggers a lot.
Next year I am forgoing my own acquisition agenda which was mainly the 12th Century Sword from Arms & Armor and something from Albion, but I might still get something from Albion.
I am getting Gayle a Brass Hilted German Rapier with matching dagger and then the solid core deluxe scabbard for the rapier and the deluxe scabbard for the matching dagger and the belt and riggings. First the rapier and the dagger though.
The rest, as I can afford. I already told her that I was getting this for her. She is a very self sacrificing gal but I won't let her do that and I haven't let her do that for the 17 years I've known her. She needs spoiling and I like doing that for her!

Sincerely,

Bob
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like to spoil mine too.
She just came in to size my new Surcoat to make sure it fits right at Texas RenFest two weeks from now.
We made her a thick Leather Jerkin and 21/2" wide belt with a nice chrome buckle. She will have that old model Coustille to wear and I'll have the new model.

Are you scared, Connor?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this old thread to say that those who miss the discontinued Windlass Coustille can buy an alternative with the relatively new Del Tin DT6161 - a very robust Italian left-hand dagger. It is pretty much the same size as the old Coustille - 0.5 inches shorter and 0.05 inches less in width. I have one and like it a lot. It is more expensive but the quality is also better than the Windlass Coustille.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DT6161

Attachment: 68.44 KB
DT6161d.jpg
photo from Del Tin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Windlass Coustille
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: