Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Holbein dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Toni R.

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Holbein dagger         Reply with quote

Hello.

I've been unusually productive lately...guess I've had nothing better to do, so here's a Holbein dagger I made last week. This was sort of a modification project, cause I had a big two-handed sword to sacrifice for this project. That sword was actually the first one I've ever made. It was made from a leafspring, like most of my recent blades. It was not historically acurate at any way(well, maybe something can be found if you use your imagination)and the whole construction was a bit poor.

A few words about the great sword:
Since the blade was made from a big leafspring, it had the mounting hole in the midlle of the blade. Back then, I straightened the blade without any kind of heat treating, and welded the hole. Due to this it wasn't going to be very durable in the first place, and eventually the blade started to curve back to it's original bended form. The crossguard was also welded together, like the pommel to the end of the tang. It wasn't too hard to dismantle the sword with a big hammer Razz

In the picture you can see the whole sword and the modification plan drawn to the blade. I thought that I would make two daggers out of it. One bigger, and other a bit smaller. I was gonna get rid of the welded hole by leaving it between the new blades, as seen in the picture. There's also a picture of the welded hole. You can see how it had started to crack around the welding.

On we go...
I cut the blade in two, and roughly shaped the two new blades. Then I heated and starightened the blades to remove the tension from the leafspring. When I first draw the new blades on to the old one, I thought the smaller was going to be a Holbein(didn't know the name back then...just remembered the looks somewhere). I continued working with the Holbein since I had no time to do both. The bigger daggerblade is still waiting for some more planning. Propably it will be more like a small sword, rather than a dagger.

I had pictures taken from the internet, which I used as a reference to make the Holbein-dagger. This project might be historically the most accurate, considering the items I've made so far. I had no spesific measures, so the proportions are roughly based to the pictures I had. The blade might be a bit too wide, and the handle a bit too long...but not still too far from the historical, I think. The tang is riveted with a nut. I believe the tang on the original dagger is threated, but since I had no proper tools for that, I took a little shortcut.

Again I bathed with blood, sweat and tears trying to make a square hole to the crossguard with my, yet so famous, "simple tools"...Meaning electric hand-drill, and small file. In whole, the project took me about three 12-hour days to finish.

I'm planning to make a scabbard for this dagger too, but I haven't gone any further with that yet. Oh, and the handle is made of dyed ashwood...it could have been something harder, I think...and the blade could still be polished a bit more

Some measurements:
OA length: 39cm
Hilt length: 13cm
Blade length: 25,5cm
Blade width: 4,2cm
CG Width: 8cm

Any comments are welcome, as usual.

Enjoy(or don't, if you dislike it)

Wink

-T

Attachment: 91.57 KB
finished piece 4 [ Download ]

Attachment: 88 KB
finished piece 3 [ Download ]

Attachment: 95.93 KB
finished piece 2 [ Download ]

Attachment: 92.39 KB
finished piece 1 [ Download ]

Attachment: 91.96 KB
handle building [ Download ]

Attachment: 105.36 KB
new blades waiting for straightening [ Download ]

Attachment: 102.51 KB
welded hole on the two-handed [ Download ]

Attachment: 95.13 KB
two-handed sword [ Download ]
Toni R.

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course I had to put the pictures in a reversed order...just to notice.
Nick Winley

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic!

Your usual combination of simple lines and elegant proportions.

Nick.

"The Riddle of Steel. Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy."
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toni, allow me to congratulate you! That dagger looks superb! Nice lines and clean looking. Happy

And now I have some inspiration to continue on my knife and the scabbard for it. Now where did that boxwood go...

Johan Schubert Moen
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it, it's very cleanly put together but not so much so that it doesn't look Hand-made. Good job.
May I ask what forging and tempering methods you used? Did you just draw temper colors? Or did you use a more exotic method?

From the hundred year war
To the Crimea
With a Lance and a Musket and a Roman Spear
To all of the Men who have stood with no fear
In the Service of the King
-The Clash: The Card Cheat
Toni R.

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Korey J. Lavoie wrote:

May I ask what forging and tempering methods you used? Did you just draw temper colors? Or did you use a more exotic method?

Thanks. I appriciate your comments.

Sorry to disappoint you, but my exotic method with shaping was the anglegrinder. Since I used a bit preshaped piece of an old blade for this item, it wasn´t too much of work. The only heat treating I did for this blade was the heating when I straightened the blade, and then let it cool down slowly. I didn't do any actual tempering. Again as an excuse, I point out the lack of proper forge...Well forge might have done the job, but I had to burn wood to even heat the blade, since I had no coal this time. In my experience, leafspring is durable, and holds up just fine on an item like this.(thought about tempering, anyway..) Final polishing to the blade was made by hand.

-T
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh . . . Sorry if my comment came off as being rather snobbish. I've studied the methods of making High-performance knives for years now, so I'm always looking at any kind of Bladesmithing from that perspective. On the plus side, if you want some good information on the subject of how can you try more intensive projects on a budget, I should be able to help.
To the Crimea
Toni R.

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not snobbish at all...doesn't hurt to ask.

I also like the art of bladesmithing in its basic form, meaning anvil and hammer -despite the fact that I haven't practiced it for a while. This is a good place to share knowledge with other enthusiasts, so I appriciate your offers. Maybe I'll get back to you with my future projects. Thanks in advance Wink

-T
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be glad too. I have a gorgeous old Farriers rasp lying around that I'm eager to get to work on myself. I intend to try shaping it only by forging with hammer and flatter and just sanding the edge bevel. It'll be interesting to see how it will come out and I'm sure I'll have fun doing it, after all, few things are more Beautiful then the colors of heated steel. I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished project of course.
To the Crimea
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not all that familiar with Holbein Daggers, but I have nver seen the sort of file work on the pommel and guard that you have done. I rather like it and am wondering about its historicity.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Toni R.

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess the filework I've done here is mostly based on the WWII german style holbein, from which I found more pictures of...and close-up pictures especially. One picture attached. The original holbeins might have been without this kind of details(?) Well, anyway, it was easier to find pictures of the german ones.

-T

Attachment: 35.33 KB
german style holbein [ Download ]
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find it kind of sad that such a genuinely attractive Knife design now has such an unpleasant association. It's good to see that people still appreciate the Holbein Daggers esthetic's in spite of that.
To the Crimea
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toni R. wrote:
I guess the filework I've done here is mostly based on the WWII german style holbein, from which I found more pictures of...and close-up pictures especially. One picture attached. The original holbeins might have been without this kind of details(?) Well, anyway, it was easier to find pictures of the german ones.

-T

Thirties Holbeins were made in Solingen on old renaissance patterns, however the filework appears very "forties" in style.

Despite this your dagger is pretty beautiful and I really like it.

I see that the modern models were also electroplated (argh).

Most likely the blades of such modern replicas were also aursforged, as Hrisoulas has stated in his books that ausforging was teached to him by an old german man who had worked all his life forging army blades in Solingen.

Also some of such modern Holbeins were pattern welded, and this are the last years of pattern welding for Italy too.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You definitely have talent....it looks very nice.
As far as the filework, I can't speak from personal experience and haven't had the time to look through my sources for examples of originals...but a Holbein reproduction that used to be in Nathan's collection has very similar filework.....maybe Nathan can weigh in on the inspirations the smith used in creating it.
http://www.myArmoury.com/dagg_jfs_holb.html
Hope this helps,
Dan
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should be interested as well as I really do like the Holbein dagger design and also like th efile work, but do not wish to be too closely identified with the later uses to which the design was put. And, yes, that was a damned shame and a sin in more ways than I can describe.

I have read that the design, which had been something of a national symbol for Switzerland, is now banned in that nation as a result of its use by the NAZIs. I wonder if that is really true.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before this goes any further, let me say that this forum is not for discussing or debating the good or ills of current or past regimes/governments/parties of any kind.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Holbein dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic