Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the DT2161? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the DT2161?         Reply with quote

I ran across Nathan's pics of this sword and wanted to get some opinions on it.

Has anyone out there bought one or handled a recent one?

Is it based on a particular sword?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the DT2161?         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I ran across Nathan's pics of this sword and wanted to get some opinions on it.
Has anyone out there bought one or handled a recent one?
Is it based on a particular sword?

I know you and I had already talked about it, but I like this model quite a bit. It's much more maneuverable than I had expected it to be. Many times, Del Tin creates their weapons a bit beefier than originals by design. This tends to lead to a very durable piece, but often times also something somewhat sluggish. The DT2161 isn't sluggish at all, IMO, and fits quite well into its niche. The fit and finish of mine, and the others I've seen, is also quite nice.

Maybe Mario Perez will drop by and give some input on this weapon. He handled it while he was here and mentioned his positive surprise when he started to wield it.

I don't believe it's based on a specific original.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dug up an old review I made several years ago:

Quote:
Late 16th Century Italian Sword (#2161) Length: 104 cm/41” (blade 87.5 cm/34½”), weight: 1.1 kg/2 lbs 7 oz
This sword is an elegant piece, with a graceful look that’s also functional. The full-tang, carbon steel blade has a diamond cross-section. It tapers to a narrow point and is ideal for thrusting. A narrow fuller runs down the first 1/4th of the blade, which also sports a ricasso. The elaborate hilt has gently S-shaped, flattened steel quillons which are slightly decorated, while the loop- and ring-guards are decorated with a stamped floral motif. The grip is of wood, wrapped with twisted wire and decorated with pleated brass fillets in both ends. The dome-shaped steel pommel is decorated with floral ”escutcheons”, and ends in a small knob. The sword is a pleasure to wield, being well balanced and light enough for fast sword-play. While not being an exeptional sword, it’s still a fine weapon, and one worth considering if you want something fancier than a plain sword, but not as slim as a rapier. If you like this one, you might want to consider a suitable dagger to go with it. Del Tin’s Late 16th Century German Dagger is close enough in style, so check the review below.

Since this was written, the rolled-and-welded rings have been exchanged for cast parts of greater durability. The welds on the old version had a tendency to develop small cracks. The rest still stands.
Kevin S. McCarley

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own one and I agree with the other postings, it's a very nice sword.

The decorative details of the hilt set it apart from plainer swords. The 'half hilt' (no counter guard) makes it easy to carry at the hip. The blade is a nice compromise, wide enough for an effective cut but certainly designed more for the thrust. The blade isn't overly long (compared to, say, a rapier) which makes it very manuverable, a quick blade for a parry and counter attack! Workmanship, on mine at least, are up to Del Tin's usual good standards.

Kevin
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys, I appreciate it.

Has Fulvio changed this one recently? Are the newest versions as good?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Manouchehr M.

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also a true fan of this sword and I think the newer versions at least the one I handled one year ago was very good.

Regards

Manoucher
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys, I appreciate it.

Has Fulvio changed this one recently? Are the newest versions as good?

I think he changed it in 1999, and as I wrote earlier, it is much improved.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the DT2161?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic