Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying a WWII Sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
A Quist

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Identifying a WWII Sword.         Reply with quote

I don't have a picture Sad The sword currently resides at my fathers house, and long story short, me getting pictures of it at this point in time is not an option. However I will see what i can do.

My grandfather (on my mothers side) served in the Canadian Armed forces during WWII.
Its is an averaged size sword, double edged, but dull on both sides, with a very sharp tip. It has letters and incribings all the way up the blade.
In trying to find one online, I can't seem to find anything quite like it. Its very similair to a lot of ceremonial swords that I have seen pictures of, however the bottom of the hilt (the pommel) is actually a very detailed globe with all the continents on it, and I cannot seem to find any pictures of a sword that has this. The scabbard is a metal scabbers will great detail inscribed up and down it.

I know this isn't much to go on, but I'm kind of shooting in the dark. My grandfather died when i was very very young, so I can not get any extra information from him either.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like a fraternal sword (secret society), and more specifically like an Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Patriarchs Militant sword. Take a look here for an example of what I am describing: IOOF Sword.

Best of luck!

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Hopkins on Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
A Quist

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's it! Wow! I can't believe you identified it so quick, without even a picture.
Thank you so much. Now I can do a bit more research on it, now that I know what it is.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My pleasure! I happen to have one myself--it was the second sword I added to my collection. It has a very distinct look to it and is the only mass-produced sword I am aware of that has a globe pommel. There is a lot of information our there on the IOOF and Patriarchs Militant, so happy hunting. Also, if there is a maker name on the ricasso (the base of the blade where it meets the hilt) it may be possible to narrow down a date of manufacture. These swords typically have the owner's name etched on the blade, so if it was your grandfather's it should have his name on it.

Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying a WWII Sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic