Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Where to get a pata? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Björn Kronisch

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Where to get a pata?         Reply with quote

Hi folks!

After some searches without luck I thought it's better to ask here. I'm looking for a certain Indian weapon, the gauntlet sword or pata. Does anyone know where it is possible to obtain a decent one? Or maybe a maker who could be willing and able to craft such a weapon?

Something like this, though I'd prefer a shorter blade:

Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, this is kind of a coincidence since I was going to make a thread asking about the pata as well, due to a discussion I had recently on a different forum.

As for where to get one, I sadly have no idea. They're not exactly common weapons to come across. Happy
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Pata and Indian weapons         Reply with quote

I recently discovered an eBay store by the name of Ancientarms that seems to carry custom or hand-made Indian and Arabic edged weapons. I have not seen a Pata, but they have several unusual edged weapons, and I think they indicated that they take special orders. Just check the eBay Stores listing for Ancientarms. Hope this may lead somewhere. Happy
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if your looking for an antique keep in mind that your hand will not fit. the ones i have seen are far to small even for my modest hand (by a full knuckle). if your having a repro made this will clearly not be a problem.
good luck
Chiew Yu Sarn

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hal Siegel of Therionarms has sold patas:

http://therionarms.com/antiques/central_asia.shtml

You might want to check with him.
Björn Kronisch

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers so far! I've been looking at the website of Ancientarms and it looks quite interesting. They have some really nice katars there which I like as well.

It's good that you mention the problem of too small original pieces, Sean. I haven't thought about that and even though I don't have big hands it is good to know. I would prefer a replica anyway but it seems that it's even more difficult to get replicas of such exotic weapons than originals.

I already knew Therionarms but I always thought that they don't craft replicas. Could be worth a try.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe Larry Lim has had success in purchasing nice replicas of Indian arms. You could try sending him a PM to ask about his source.

Jonathan
Larry Lim

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pata         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference, Jonathan... AncientArms is where I got my khanda & tulwar; I've checkout their website & saw some katars but not pata... Believe Bjorn had already browse through the site, too.

Hi Bjorn, your thread has started me thinking about pata... do keep me in the loop if you so happen to find one/ someone able to custom-made one. Thanks~

Cheers,
Larry
Björn Kronisch

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, so far nothing new, but I shall send a mail to Ancientarms and Therionarms in order to ask about custom-made weapons. And if I'm successful in obtaining a pata I will be glad to inform you, Larry. Happy

Edit: Now that I've done a little research I think Ancientarms is maybe not a good choice. There were very negative criticisms in one forum and I read about very low quality and way too soft steel. Sad

Edit2: I now received a mail from Hal Siegel (Therionarms) and he said that the pata were antique weapons, they don't have commercially available reproductions. Too bad... looks like there are no more possibilities left for now. Worried
Larry Lim

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Pata & Katar         Reply with quote

Thanks, Bjorn.. I shall be on a lookout & keep you informed should I come across any useful info..

Cheers,
Larry

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Where to get a pata?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic