Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood Armoury Longswords. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam N.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Darkwood Armoury Longswords.         Reply with quote

It seems that Darkwood Armoury makes longswords in addition to their line of single-handed swords. Since I am still in the market for a blunt longsword, how would those who have handled them rate them? If they are the same grind as a sidesword blade, I assume they are about that flexible.

I am no expert on longsword blades, but It seems that 1.25" is quite short for the width of a longsword, I wonder how this affects the handling.

Also, is it possible to get a handle longer than 7"? that seems rather short for a two handed handle.

Thanks in advanced for anyone who replies to yet another query from me Razz.
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott at Darkwood Armory can make just about anything you want; however, I spoke with him today and it seems that his heat trating vendor has delayed some production (including a custom backsword blade of mine) due to a large industrial order.

I can't give you any technical specs on handling, etc. as I am a collector or art and style rather than a hand's on swordsman, but I can tell you this: There is no one in the business more polite and easy to work with than Scott. He is a man of his word and a good craftsman to boot.

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Sam N.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
Scott at Darkwood Armory can make just about anything you want; however, I spoke with him today and it seems that his heat trating vendor has delayed some production (including a custom backsword blade of mine) due to a large industrial order.

I can't give you any technical specs on handling, etc. as I am a collector or art and style rather than a hand's on swordsman, but I can tell you this: There is no one in the business more polite and easy to work with than Scott. He is a man of his word and a good craftsman to boot.

Yes, it seems he has been getting many positive reviews from customers. However, I still would like to know specifically what his longswords are like, since his single-handed swords are top notch.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that Scott at Darkwood can answer some of your questions, e.g. grip length, grind compared to sidesword blade.

Jonathan
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, if anyone has any info on these swords as relates to WMA use, I'd like to know. I'm looking for an alternative source for longswords. Much obliged!
Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't give a very in depth review of the swords, but I can perhaps give some info. I've handled many of these but have not actually put them to use. I have only handled them at his booth at the past two Western Martial Arts Workshops.

I believe they come in a standard size, but Scott is a semi-custom guy, so I'm sure you could make requests for adjustments from. The swords all handled well. The cool thing about them is that you can also request a complex hilt rather than just a simple cross: Some of the swords I handled AVB Norman hilt types 41, 43, and possibly others, which was kind of neat. The blades were similar to his "sidesword" blade, and as such the edges are a little bit on the thin side, which may or may not work for some groups.

Aesthetically they are definately practice swords. They won't be good for living history, but they capture the basic look well enough. The hilt assemply uses a pommel nut, so that's ahistorical, and the grips and guard do have a certain Darkwood-specific characteristic. Still, they aren't bad visually.

Durability I can't totally vouch for, just because I only dry handled them a little bit. I've used Darkwood Armory rapiers for years for both thrusting and cutting actions with absolutely no problems, so I personally have good faith in the longsword durability as well. Assuming they hold up as well as their other products, I think these are a good value for the price.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just another plug for the great work & service Scott provides.

I really regret letting the side-sword he made me go.... Sad

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood Armoury Longswords.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic