Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scythian sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Buenas KS

Remember your collected thread on the Halstatt C sword types?
Several came with ´moustache´ type end chapes. Personally I think áll of this chape was méant as a chape; functionally. The obvious question than becomes: ´why such a wide scabbard´?´
Have a look at the golden quiver ´chape´.....

The line along which I am thinking simply does not see the sword as a cavalry weapon, not even when is gets long enough to be of any use. I think is was a very important status symbol fírst.
After all, not even the feudal knights used the sword as much as we have generally come to believe.
The sword for some reason gives ´street cred´, is considered ´noble´, has always been a valuable gift among kings but as a weapon for the moúnted man??
I find it highly illusttrative that p.e. the mamluk furusiya manuls praise the sword as the unparalleled noble arm yet it´s tactical role is minimal and in text a mere few percent Laughing Out Loud
Please note I am referring ónly to it´s worth while mounted.

Anyway: I will try to make a double edged blade with B-lobed hilt and antennae pommel. I am not sure yet wether to use bronze or iron. The grip will be wood simply because I like wood Laughing Out Loud
I have three rasps so I will make all three different like the scythian blades appearantly were.

peter
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think these people carried any weapons which didn't have a very practical use, as a rule. Just because you may not often cut while riding (not so easy to fight from horseback with no saddle) doesn't mean you would carry a weapon to use dismounted. But we really don't know how they fought or how they used these weapons.

You often see those kinds of 'it's just for show' arguments brought up about various weapons or other kit in various times, and it usually turns out to be some very pragmatic reason. Steppe nomads in particular didn't carry around a lot of uneccessary junk with them, IMO.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I don't think these people carried any weapons which didn't have a very practical use, as a rule. Just because you may not often cut while riding (not so easy to fight from horseback with no saddle) doesn't mean you would carry a weapon to use dismounted. But we really don't know how they fought or how they used these weapons.

You often see those kinds of 'it's just for show' arguments brought up about various weapons or other kit in various times, and it usually turns out to be some very pragmatic reason. Steppe nomads in particular didn't carry around a lot of uneccessary junk with them, IMO.

J

Why would steppe nomads differ from the rest of the human race? We should remember that nomad does not mean a continuous trek and also knows numerous variants.
The nomads from the asian interior where at léast semi-nomadic with pretty stable winter quarters.
There is quite a bit known about their way of life and they carried along VERY heavy ´bed´ and ´cupboard´ as status symbol for the household interior so even during migrations they did carry unnecassary heavy things. The crux is that théy considered them to be necessary Laughing Out Loud
´Nomadic´ seems to be burdened with a heavily biassed perception too. Most if not all, ´nomads´ were not so mobile at all. Not as far as their homesteads were concerned. Even the desert nomads that through Hollywood influances our associations were mostly oasis bound with their homes.
Also modern nomads did and do carry around ´unnecassary´juwelry etc. on their body. Maybe escpécilay those who are most nomadic are most inclined to carry the status symbols on their body.
I sure know I would: that would be all one would have to identify yoú as an individual. The less you have the more important becomes what you do have. Unecessarily heavy would be a necessary flip side of that coin. A higher status person woúld wear a torque or sword just to show who he was.

For me the ´early´ germanic warriors, the mauretanians and the scythian riders are a remarkably uniform example of form following fuction: spear and short blade for cénturies, probably millennia Wink
The later warriors that adapted their style to cultural-, geographical-, population density-, militairy requirements were in general very shortlived in comparison.
The numidian cavalry in roman service is a strikingly longlived example. Almost an anachronism.

Anyway: yes I think the few nomads that where entitled to, díd carry ´unnecessary´ or in function compromised symbols of their status.

peter
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Buenas KS

Remember your collected thread on the Halstatt C sword types?
Several came with ´moustache´ type end chapes. Personally I think áll of this chape was méant as a chape; functionally. The obvious question than becomes: ´why such a wide scabbard´?´

How do you mean? The opening in the chape is quite small (see example: http://1501bc.com/files/Scabbard_chape_deWitt...on_age.jpg). It's been suggested that they were to keep the scabbard down holding the foot of the rider on it so he could pull the sword out with one hand and keep the other on the lease. But this is totally unpractical as you can't reach the chape with your foot, can't keep your foot on it and the connection between the chape and scabbard is too weak. Plus some of the extensions curl downwards rather then up. So IMO they were purely decorational.

Quote:
The line along which I am thinking simply does not see the sword as a cavalry weapon, not even when is gets long enough to be of any use. I think is was a very important status symbol fírst.

I don't believe in anything being status symbols first. It doesn't make sense. It makes a lot more sense to express status through the most important things you have. It makes sense to me having a sword when mounted, when there's a lot of non-mounted warriors. When closed in, or when your horse is down, a sword makes more sense then a bow and arrows. And naturally there's also a big difference between fighting from horseback or charriot. In the Hallstatt period, both were used.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As stated quite clearly Jeroen my remarks are about mounted use. On foot an axe would be just a effective ;-)
A crucial point from the riders viewpoint is that a long scabbard is awkward: very awkward, impossibly awkward.
I experience that the single quiver is logical and two quivers only possible with a proper saddle and even then only if you need a quiver for arrows only because you want to carry many.

The publication of Teuwen suggests that swords were perhaps status symbols only too.
Also think about torques which were universal for over a millennium from the british isles all the way to the borders of china: status only.
I think it is not incorrect to look at the US marine of today who's officers carry a mamluk sabre as a parallel.
Your remark about the use of charriots is to the point. It may very well be that the status guys rode in the charriots and wore swords.

At least untill proper saddles were develloped I cannot see the mounted warrior carry a longish blade, only a relatively short ' dagger' strapper to the (right) leg.
Even with a proper saddle a long blade remains VERY awkward an seriously hinders both rider and horse in their agility. This is however only relevant if rider and horse are asked to employ their maximum agility. Maybe, but that is a different line of thought, the use of the iron bit was a factor. There is little doubt this metal bit was taken over from chariots and may have been an important indirect and indeliberate influance because it affects the way the horse responds to signals.

If you look at the mauretani, the numidian cavalry you can see the archetypical light cavalry like it was for millennia untill the late iron age/ roman period. The carried spears and sometimes a dagger like short sword. ONLY their king(s) wore a long(ish) blade.
They are quite interesting as the charriot was know to them as were bow and arrows. Both were used (depicted in Tassili n' ajer) but they appearantly found it more efficient n'ot to use them and they were very effectively employed untill the collaps of the western roman empire.

Although the horse bow has a lot of fame not al light mounted warriors used them even when they had access to them. Not even when they had a proper saddle. I find this highly illustrative of why a long sword scabbard would not be carried.

My point is that I think we have an incorrect viewpoint about the sword in cavalry.

Right, about the 'moustache' scabbard. I suspect that only the guys in charriots ' wore' swords and I think this chape had a function in relation with this and/or a quiver.
I have a terrain worthy two wheeled light buggy and wether standing or sitting cannot imagine the chieftain(s) would carry a word strapped to their waist only.

So, my thought are that:
1. mounted warriors in general did not carry long sword blades untill well into the roman age and then only as a compromise.
2. the ' moustache' scabbard was a charriot adaptation
3. long(er) bladed swords were VERY important as a status expression

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe this thread gets too far off topic so I have split this line and it the moderators feel it appropriate can move it. The thread I take up now certainly goes beyond ' mere' arms. Arms are a product of society; a representation.

About ' function'.

There is a very interesting discussion going on about pre-clovis versus clovis first.
One thing that is clear is that some (fruted) designs were not funtional yet an investment in time and skill. Also quite a few points, blades and BLADES have been found (all over the world) that were not funcional as weapons or tools yet represented a huge investment in material, time and skill.

There is an equivalent is stone and bronze axe heads. Several will not have been usefull as such.

Undoubted examples of non-functional weapons abound. Non functional as a weapon that is. The investment in materials, time and skill proves an extremely important role.
Why would swords have been otherwise? Especially since we know that swords represented more than their functionality. Why would (some or more) swords not have primairily represented a non functional role?

I would like to point out a tricky point. The representations in art may not be taken of their face value: it was not 'independant'. They were produced on order and payed for. The customer did not repesent the average society and will have had an agenda.
We are all very aware that a painting of say Napoleon was meant to be displayed in a reception hall or something like that to impress. It represented what the customer wanted to transmit: NOT necessarily reality.
Now obviously the earliest cave art was different in it's agenda but even so most likely did not represent only reality.
Art gives us information but not represensative fotographic.

Early man was not primitive. I have a musuem reproduction of the Venus of Willendorf in front of me as a continuous reminder.
Early man was less develloped in technical aspects ONLY and it remains unanswered wether that is primitive Laughing Out Loud
What seems enigmatic is that every technical advance resulted in less leisure time.
It may therefor very well be that during the last say 1500 years things like swords became more functional then they had ever been before.

History, evolution is not sequential nor continuous nor world wide the same. Just think of the implication of the fact that the beaker people has sort composite (horse) bows: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/exca...e_01.shtml
This implies an increadible level of technical understanding and also raises several questions as 5000 years before present it seems to have been a european development....
Like the immigration to the brittish isles the beaker people migrated east too and this is just one example. The increadible spread of ' venusses' is another.
No, homo sapiens was never ' primitive' and I have no doubt always produced/used artefacts that represented far more funcion than their basic usefullness. The fact that we nowadays with our biassed technical thinking cannot grasp it is simply another product of human society.

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe this thread gets too far off topic so I have split this line and it the moderators feel it appropriate can move it. The thread I take up now certainly goes beyond ' mere' arms. Arms are a product of society; a representation.

About ' function'.

There is a very interesting discussion going on about pre-clovis versus clovis first.
One thing that is clear is that some (fruted) designs were not funtional yet an investment in time and skill. Also quite a few points, blades and BLADES have been found (all over the world) that were not funcional as weapons or tools yet represented a huge investment in material, time and skill.

There is an equivalent is stone and bronze axe heads. Several will not have been usefull as such.

Undoubted examples of non-functional weapons abound. Non functional as a weapon that is. The investment in materials, time and skill proves an extremely important role.
Why would swords have been otherwise? Especially since we know that swords represented more than their functionality. Why would (some or more) swords not have primairily represented a non functional role?

I would like to point out a tricky point. The representations in art may not be taken of their face value: it was not 'independant'. They were produced on order and payed for. The customer did not repesent the average society and will have had an agenda.
We are all very aware that a painting of say Napoleon was meant to be displayed in a reception hall or something like that to impress. It represented what the customer wanted to transmit: NOT necessarily reality.
Now obviously the earliest cave art was different in it's agenda but even so most likely did not represent only reality.
Art gives us information but not represensative fotographic.

Early man was not primitive. I have a musuem reproduction of the Venus of Willendorf in front of me as a continuous reminder: http://witcombe.sbc.edu/willendorf/willendorfdiscovery.html
Early man was less develloped in technical aspects ONLY and it remains unanswered wether that is primitive Laughing Out Loud
What seems enigmatic is that every technical advance resulted in less leisure time.
It may therefor very well be that during the last say 1500 years things like swords became more functional then they had ever been before.

History, evolution is not sequential nor continuous nor world wide the same. Just think of the implication of the fact that the beaker people has sort composite (horse) bows: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/exca...e_01.shtml
This implies an increadible level of technical understanding and also raises several questions as 5000 years before present it seems to have been a european development....
Like the immigration to the brittish isles the beaker people migrated east too and this is just one example. The increadible spread of ' venusses' is another.
No, homo sapiens was never ' primitive' and I have no doubt always produced/used artefacts that represented far more funcion than their basic usefullness. The fact that we nowadays with our biassed technical thinking cannot grasp it is simply another product of human society.

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I needed to dig a bit but have found it.

The beautifull Halstatt C type sword found in a grave called ' The Chieftain of Oss' is a good example of sword and status.
This ' chieftain' was a small man in his 50ties (40 - 60), had a chronic back problem related to overweight and diabetes. He was long past his ' sell by date', went slightly stooped and was overweight.
I have not been able to find an illustration but a life-like model of him was made and exhibited.
Most definitely not a warrior type, very likely not a rider for at least a long time, yet he was buried with a very beautifull sword and a set of horse bits.
He was obviously important and may have been a great warrior in his younger years, we do not know. What we do know is that when he died he looked like the chief of Asterix & Obelix donned with a stunning and relatively large sword . This exquisite imported sword had not been functional for him for at least a good few years and because it must have been EXTREMELY costly costly it seems unlikely that he would have owned it when he may have been a young warrior...

peter

edit: http://www.dekelten.nl/webcam/fotos/20061119/...142518.JPG
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
1. mounted warriors in general did not carry long sword blades untill well into the roman age and then only as a compromise.

Um...really? Gallic cavalry already carried fairly long blades before the Romans conquered them. Farther east, Chinese cavalry carried long swords at least as early as the Han period--which began at about the same time that the Romans started turning their confederation of city-states into an empire in earnest.

Moreover, I don't understand your assertion that a long blade impedes the horse's or the rider's agility even with a proper saddle. I'm only a decent horseman--not even a good one--and a less-than-decent swordsman, but I've never felt seriously impeded by a long-bladed sword or its scabbard when doing complex maneuvers on horseback, except when the straps get a bit loose and the scabbard starts banging against the horse's rump or side (and that'd be considered both atypical and a mistake by any standard of mounted swordsmanship). Have you considered that you might be mounting your scabbard improperly?
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
I needed to dig a bit but have found it.

The beautifull Halstatt C type sword found in a grave called ' The Chieftain of Oss' is a good example of sword and status.
This ' chieftain' was a small man in his 50ties (40 - 60), had a chronic back problem related to overweight and diabetes. He was long past his ' sell by date', went slightly stooped and was overweight.
I have not been able to find an illustration but a life-like model of him was made and exhibited.
Most definitely not a warrior type, very likely not a rider for at least a long time, yet he was buried with a very beautifull sword and a set of horse bits.
He was obviously important and may have been a great warrior in his younger years, we do not know. What we do know is that when he died he looked like the chief of Asterix & Obelix donned with a stunning and relatively large sword . This exquisite imported sword had not been functional for him for at least a good few years and because it must have been EXTREMELY costly costly it seems unlikely that he would have owned it when he may have been a young warrior...

I don't agree. People got mature at a much younger age in those days. He could have come from a rich family, and was given a sword as soon as he was at fighting age. If you look at less rich graves of the period, if there's one metal (iron) artifact in it it's a sword, even if the urn was a simple earthenware pot. So quite probably the sword was the first thing he got before gathering the rest of his wealth. Also, just because he was old, fat and crooked, doesn't mean he didn't need his sword. He probably needed it more then ever in that condition, and probably still would put up a fight if challenged (think angry grandpa with a stick, but instead of a stick a sharp sword!Happy).

Another thing, keep in mind that even with Mindelheim sword, there were still functional improvements being performed. One example is the thin tang protruding from the end of the hilt to secure the hat shaped pommel better. You only do that if there have been cases were the pommel came loose, which won't happen unless the sword was treated roughly in combat. So Mindelheim swords weren't made for status. Used to display status yes, but made to be used as swords.

Quote:
peter

edit: http://www.dekelten.nl/webcam/fotos/20061119/...142518.JPG

That's a very poor reconstruction b.t.w., wrong on many accounts. The clothing is wrong, none of his clothing accesories (pins, buttons) etc. have been used and can't be used in this clothing, his hair is wrong (had a razor, and Hallstatt images show completely bald people). If you want to know how he looked like, this ain't it Happy It's more likely that he looked something like these guys: http://www.hallstattzeit.de/Hallstattzeit/Eisenzeit/Situla_52.jpg
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Lafayette C Curtis"]
Peter Bosman wrote:
Um...really? Gallic cavalry already carried fairly long blades before the Romans conquered them. Farther east, Chinese cavalry carried long swords at least as early as the Han period--which began at about the same time that the Romans started turning their confederation of city-states into an empire in earnest.

Moreover, I don't understand your assertion that a long blade impedes the horse's or the rider's agility even with a proper saddle. I'm only a decent horseman--not even a good one--and a less-than-decent swordsman, but I've never felt seriously impeded by a long-bladed sword or its scabbard when doing complex maneuvers on horseback, except when the straps get a bit loose and the scabbard starts banging against the horse's rump or side (and that'd be considered both atypical and a mistake by any standard of mounted swordsmanship). Have you considered that you might be mounting your scabbard improperly?

It depends on what you call long perhaps. The roman gladius does not get 'long' for cavalry use untill quite late either and even migration period rider swords are in general relatively short.
Anyway this all is with proper saddles and also the swords that can be called true cavalry length appear with the use of stirrups. Quite logically too.

About swords being a nuisance you do not have to look further than present day demos of mounted police: the scabbards are all over the place when at a gallop or doing anything athletic.
A longish sword/scabbard even interferes with the horses legs especially since the horse of 2 millennia ago was generally below 15 hands.
My horses are about 15 hands, compact, agile and sensitive to aids. Both them and I get hindered by a sword moving about and find the only acceptable way to carry a longer blade to be in a scabbard that has a spring steel insert at a fixing strap attached to the lower half and running to the tie straps. No way to solve this without a saddle.....
The obvious is to attach a shorter blade to your leg. Not of any use when in the saddle, not a hindrance either and great for selfdefence when unseated.
This brings me back to the spear as a more important cavalry arm. I beleive the sword was not at all that important as an arm while mounted and should not get in the way.

As for actual use of the sword in the saddle it is a huge disadvantage against a short spear and for dealing with fleeing infantry a mace would be more handy too.

It keeps amazing me how much attention the sword gets whereas the humble spear was used a lot more, longer and more effective. Is this a Hollywood-effect?
The past two nights a series ' Los Borgia' was transmitted on tv here. Several cavalry ' charges' were featured, all with swords and not a lance in sight Laughing Out Loud Yet the condottieri primarily charged with the lance.
I realy enjoy reading about the polish cavalry who honoured their lance (and lance-like estoc) for 5 centuries Laughing Out Loud

Oh, btw, the rider from Mandara (a possible origin for the st. George legend) and most early St. Georges use a lance, not a sword....
As i see it now, the sword receives so much attention simply because it is a handy thing as an expressive status symbol whereas the spear is unweildy, bow&arrow clumsy, the axe a workmens tool and the mace... well... rather unsofiscated.
Again: I consider the sword to be mainly a defensive arm for a rider that got dismounted and the rest to be status.
Obviously this statement is a simplification Idea

Meanwhile I am very happy with info on the short scythian blade and its typical (leg)scabbard. When this combination is finished the next project will be a(nother) spear.

peter

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scythian sword?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: