Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Infantry Sword, 1795 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: German Infantry Sword, 1795         Reply with quote

This is a German Infantry Sword from the year 1795. It was patterned after the 1760-70 French Infantry Hanger and its brass hilt was hastily produced in response to Napoleon's imminent threat. The 23 1/8” blade retains virtually 100% original bright polish. Perhaps a German state infantryman's favourite sidearm during the Napoleonic Wars.

Attachment: 90.42 KB
German Infantry Sword, 1795.jpg

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I've always sort of wondered about the all-brass hilts of some of the swords of this period. Are they constructed in several sections? Are they hollow or solid? How does it affect the weight and balance of the sword? Question
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
You know, I've always sort of wondered about the all-brass hilts of some of the swords of this period. Are they constructed in several sections? Are they hollow or solid? How does it affect the weight and balance of the sword? Question

In my experience they are one piece cast-brass hilts. I am not sure about their interior construction, but one I had seemed sturdy enough. Briquets have not garnered much academic interest that I know of, but after talking with several dealers there is quite a lot of subtle variation between the various models that would be worth documenting in a book. Briquets are quite common and relatively affordable. A number of dealers with whom I have spoken say that more than other swords, briquets tend to linger in their stock for quite a while.

Jonathan
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IIRC, at least some of the late 17th/early 18th c. German/English hanger hilts were two-part cast brass (grip and guard). Some variants had wire-over-wood grips. For those interested in such things, George Neumann's classic book Swords and Blades of the American Revolution is essential. Here's what he had to say about 18th c. construction (I forget if this refers mainly to hangers):

"Contemporary manufacture normally began with a cast steel bar which was cut into two lengths, each of which would make two blades. After being fed through waterpowered rolling mills which pressed them to the desired shape and size, they were ground by large stone wheels, tempered by warm oil or water, and struck by hardwood blocks for testing. Before being finished by a polisher, the blade had a soft iron tang welded to its upper end. For assembly of the hilt, the components had hollow centers and were simply compiled one above the other on the thin tang. When complete, the tang's end was hammered down like a rivet head, or threaded for a screw-on cap (52). "

Such mass production explains the commonness of the type and relatively low price in the modern marketplace. But wait a decade or two....

I sometimes wish I'd kept my Windlass German hanger. That was one of the best pieces I've ever seen from the company. Sad

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Sean. The later briquets that were used in France and the German states tended to be one piece, but two+ piece construction is certainly common for earlier hangers. Just to clarify, not all hangers are common, but 19th century briquets are quite common and can be found for $200-$300 on dealer sites.

Jonathan
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Just to clarify, not all hangers are common, but 19th century briquets are quite common and can be found for $200-$300 on dealer sites.

Jonathan

True. I was thinking mainly of the so-called "Model 1742" hangers, which were selling in the $700 range a few years ago. That may be considered high for an infantry hanger, but I was comparing to earlier swords.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
True. I was thinking mainly of the so-called "Model 1742" hangers, which were selling in the $700 range a few years ago. That may be considered high for an infantry hanger, but I was comparing to earlier swords.

The earlier British hangers (mid 18th century) were tagged at $900-$1200 at the Hartford Show last October. Occasionally these hangers are marked to specific regiments, which increases the asking price.

Jonathan
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Would make a nice study         Reply with quote

I agree that the military hangars and briquets of the 1700s (and early 1800s) would make for a nice study which has yet to be undertaken and published by anyone in any detail. Compared to other swords of the same era the prices are still relatively reasonable for now. I have noticed over the years quite a lot of variability in thickness of the blades and curvature (and hence weight) on these swords. Plus there are multiple centers of manufacture. Would make for a great book for someone who wanted to specialize in studying them!
D Critchley

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

The earlier British hangers (mid 18th century) were tagged at $900-$1200 at the Hartford Show last October. Occasionally these hangers are marked to specific regiments, which increases the asking price.

Jonathan

Most often they are marked M Huntington for the Huntington Militia. A large cache of them was found in a church cellar in the 1970s

Churches were often used as militia armouries. Thick walls and a light roof, ideal for storing gunpowder

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
-Sean

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: German Infantry Sword, 1795         Reply with quote

Sean, are you thinking of having this type of sword? I would like to know.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: German Infantry Sword, 1795         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Sean, are you thinking of having this type of sword? I would like to know.

Probably not. It's too far out of my main focus now (1450-1650). I had a Windlass "model 1742" hanger several years ago and was very impressed by it. If I had a chance to pick up that repro used for maybe $50 or $60, I might buy it just because it was so well done. Even the scabbard was well done.

-Sean

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: German Infantry Sword, 1795         Reply with quote

Sean,
Do the Model 1742 hangers like you mentioned similar to this German Infantry Sword? I am curious about this one.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shahril,
The "model 1742" hanger is different (it is not an official pattern, therefore the quotes):

Here is an antique available through Paul Ambrose:

Here is a replica available through William Booth Draper:

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: German Infantry Sword, 1795         Reply with quote

Jonathan, so that is how your Model 1742 Hanger looks like. Now I get it. This one dates from the French & Indian Wars.
This is a Swiss Infantry Hanger dating from 1790. It is similar to the French and German Infantry Hangers that I posted before. Its hilt is identical with both swords and varies in detail from the maker as do all these. The hilt is excellent with good patina and few minor bruises. 26 1/2” curved single-edged blade crisply etched with foliage and military trophies both sides and maker’s name, D. Girtanner in St. Gallen on the right side. The sword's blade shows smooth dark patina with a little scattered old black oxidation. Decoration crisp. No scabbard.
Suggestions, anyone?

Attachment: 108.3 KB
Swiss Infantry Sword, 1790.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Infantry Sword, 1795
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic