Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spanish Steel... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Brandon Minton

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I was my girl, I'd go for Hugh's suggestion and get the Serenassima and get a scabbard from Tritonworks as I don't one could really logically argue that you don't have a fantastic wearable thruster get-up and it be perfect for a guy like Inigo Montoya (she's a big fan of that guy in the Princess Bride). Thanks for all the great suggestions thus far. I'll throw the ideas out to her and see what she thinks and report the results for fun.

I find it odd though that not one popular maker comes out of any famous sword-making region in Spain. Wall-hangers do not count in my book.
James Martin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leonardo Daneluz wrote:
There are a few custom swordsmiths in Spain. Germán Azote is one of them. He is in Valencia and can be contacted in the forum of the AEEA www.esgrimaantigua.com
He has a website but I couldn´t find it.

I just noticed this post. Thank you for including it. God willing I may be able to contact him one day with a request for a custom sword. I think I am going to have to learn Spanish if I want to get any deeper into my family's history. In the meantime Ill just subscribe to this thread.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leonardo Daneluz wrote:
There are a few custom swordsmiths in Spain. Germán Azote is one of them. He is in Valencia and can be contacted in the forum of the AEEA www.esgrimaantigua.com
He has a website but I couldn´t find it.

I liked the "Unidos por la Espada" bit on the right side. Perhaps the sala ought to go over to the Barcelona Grand Prix Racing Circuit and have a bit of discussion with some of the Fernando Alonso fans there about their racist baiting of McLaren's Lewis Hamilton.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/2/7326.html
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/2/7324.html

The fans were really pretty awful and the FIA has threatened to suspend Spain from the F-1 Championship Circuit if they don't get control over them. Perhaps sending a bunch of guys with swords over as security would get the point across. Laughing Out Loud

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did not make it to Kult of Athena today, however I am going there absolutely for sure on Wednesday 02/06/2008! LOL
I will check out the sword that Sean suggested, I checked it out before and as I remember it had a real nice feel to it.
I am going for the purpose for Ryan (Owner of Kult of Athena) to closely examine and scrutinize the grinding, sharpening and finishing job that I did on the Del Tin Sword.
Anyone and everyone, I personally invite you to call or write Ryan and ask him his unbiased opinion on the job that I did.
I will post this in the Thread "Putting Life into a Sword Blade" where it belongs.
Just wanted to state the reason that I am going to KoA tomorrow and in case anyone else wants me to check something out for them, please feel free to send me an instant message and I will check my messages before I leave for
Kult of Athena tomorrow.

It's no imposition at all, glad to help! Happy

Bob
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Windlass Spanish Sword is One Heavy Sword! In my opinion it's way too heavy!

Bob
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
The Windlass Spanish Sword is One Heavy Sword! In my opinion it's way too heavy!

Bob

Thanks Bob, That's what I wanted to know.

BTW: When are you going to sell me that Del Tin Viking sword? Razz Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Surprised

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:

Bob

Thanks Bob, That's what I wanted to know.

BTW: When are you going to sell me that Del Tin Viking sword? Razz Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Surprised

Or lighten the Windlass Spanish sword so somebody like Gary might actually want to buy it. Wink Wink Wink Laughing Out Loud
Probably would have to take the financial risk of buying it yourself for resale: It would be " risky to work on someone elses sword at least for now ! If you do enough of these " tuning jobs " you might feel confident working on a " client's " sword.

Well, a replaceable sword might cost you if you botched a job but not be tragic: You could always replace it in that case.

( Hmmmmmm ...... I keep trying to make you start your own sword improvement business. Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Since we are off-topic now anyway: the steel giant Rio Tinto is originally the english comoany founded to exploit the iron ore in the Rio Tinto area in sw andalucia, spain. The Rio Tinto is indeed a red river, coloured deep red by the iron oxide seeping from the country side.

Currently spain has no producers of decent swords nor iron.

peter

If someone who had experience with making crucible steel could obtain a decent quantity of this ore, one could have a sword made from roughly the same steel. It wouldn't be cheap...

That's about as close as you could get, I would think.

I have wondered if the fame of the steel came from the way it was produced/worked, or the alloy content of the local ore.
J. Wilby

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spanish Steel         Reply with quote

G.Alan Beck wrote:
Try:swordsfromtoledo.com-they are located in Toledo Spain & have a line of battle ready swords as well as wall hangers.Their contact info.is there as well.Good luck.

Here is another one http://www.marianozamorano.com/english/Empresa.htm
At one point their rapier blades were considered good. Maybe others have some experience with them...
James Martin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spanish Steel         Reply with quote

J. Wilby wrote:
G.Alan Beck wrote:
Try:swordsfromtoledo.com-they are located in Toledo Spain & have a line of battle ready swords as well as wall hangers.Their contact info.is there as well.Good luck.

Here is another one http://www.marianozamorano.com/english/Empresa.htm
At one point their rapier blades were considered good. Maybe others have some experience with them...

I would love to hear from people about these zamorano swords. They look very pretty. Are they functional swords or just wall hangers?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are carbon steel but who knows how the tangs look and how well they are heat treated... They look like wallhangers from Marto but they don't have to be...
Allen Reed

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Rapier from Darkwood Armoury?         Reply with quote

Scott at Darkwood does a really nice Spanish cup hilt rapier with piercings thru the cup.

He also will sharpen blades if that is what you want as well.

Allen
J. Wilby

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
They are carbon steel but who knows how the tangs look and how well they are heat treated... They look like wallhangers from Marto but they don't have to be...

I can't really add much real data, but apparently they make some of the better practice rapier blades. Here is some feedback on those. Now - I ASSUME that they won't use anything worse on their own products - but we all know about assumptions...... Happy

http://www.therotunda.net/rapier/survey-1/q11-zamorano.shtml

I got this from a quick google on "zamorano blade".
Oscar Torres Carrasco

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, everybody!

Mi name is Oscar Torres, and I am hte first provost of the Spanish Association of ancient fencing (AEEA). You can find the link to our page above, in the post of our friend Leonardo Daneluz.

Our school was founded in 2001 and, until our aparition, the production of spanish blades were only limited to the "wallhangers". Thanks to the impulse gave to the ancient fencing in our country, you can find now some Spanish swordsmiths who makes completely functional swords with very affordable prices. Their swords are completely designed for WMA, but they can make custom works too.

Please, read it: Mariano Zamorano makes artisan swords but they are not suitable to the practice of WMA. They are very robust swords, but only suitable for a wall.

You can find three principal sworsmiths in Spain who makes functional swords: Germán Gregorio Azote ( http://www.thetimeseller.com/spa/subcategory/1/SF059.html ) from Valencia, specialized in hand and a half swords, in the link you can find only two models, but he accept every custom work that you want.

The second is Juan Antonio Suárez, from MAdrid ( www.cueroyacero.com ), specialized in rapiers, specially with swept and cup hilts. He makes daggers and medieval swords with Toledo blades too, but in this example of medieval swords, I reccomend yoy the swords of Germán better.

The third one is Julio Ramírez, from Toledo, as known as "Mimes de Azzaria" ( http://www.mimesdeazzaria.es/ ). He is specialized in rapiers with cup and shell hilts and left-hand daggers. He accepts custom works too.

These three examples are very recent swordsmiths and they are not good-known out of Spain, I am sure about everyone of them can satisfy your exigences about your desire of finding a real Spanish sword.

Only one thing more: If you decide contact with one of them, you can tell him that you contact following my advise.

Best regards.

Oscar Torres
Asociación Española de Esgrima Antigua

Españoles en la mar quiero, y si es en tierra, San Jorge nos proteja (proverbio inglés)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first one appears to be a reseller of items from Windlass Steelcrafts, Pavel Moc etc.

The second two do appear to fit the bill for what our seeker of Spanish Steel is looking for however although I have to admit to not being able to piece together the Spanish to be sure.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
James Martin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oscar Torres thank you very much for contributing! You have really made my day.
Leonardo Daneluz

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thetimeseller is the reseller. They also deal with several models from Germán Azote. You can recognize them because those swords bear his mark (something like an I encircled with a F and D at the sides).

Oscar has accurately linked you to them.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
The second two do appear to fit the bill for what our seeker of Spanish Steel is looking for

The ' Alatriste' set by Julio Ramirez is about as spanish as it gets. Pack it with the DVD and it is the #1. VERY sharply priced too!

peter

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spanish Steel...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: