Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dimensions of Spears, Lanceheads and Bills Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Dimensions of Spears, Lanceheads and Bills         Reply with quote

Hello fellow forum members.

I am searching for dimensions of polearms, the whole length of the weapon, but especially the size of spear/lance heads and the dimension of bills is of interest. I am focusing on late 14th century pieces, but the early 15th century would be no problem.
I have pictures of two particular pieces a have totaly no information about besides the pictures attached. They are dated late 14th century. I found similar pieces in Wagners "Medieval Costume Armour and Wepaons" but with very rudimentary sizing informations for some other designs.
As I want to have something northern Italian around 1400 polearm like reproduced, I need more input.

Thank you.

Attachment: 61.91 KB
HPIM9961.JPG

Attachment: 70.32 KB
HPIM9962.JPG

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Waldman's book (Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe) isn't as helpful as it might be concerning this subject, but he does offer some useful notes on proportions of the weapon heads.

The photos below give some sense of scale compared to more familiar arms and armour (helmets, swords). Note the 15th or 16th c. bill head next to hoes and musket balls. As for overall length, you see some indication here of the variety. Even for a given type of head, haft length could vary by two or three feet. This research is complicated by replaced or damaged hafts, but there are some intact originals out there. 6-8 feet would be a reasonable range for a bill, with spears more in the 7-10 foot range. Spear heads vary a great deal, from very small to enormous.

Contemporary artwork will give the best idea about dimensions. You can work them out using biometrics and proportions, as Waldman does. In other words, artwork might consistently depict a given polearm head as being one hand-width across and six times that length. Applying that using your own hand would get you close to the correct dimensions.

Finally, auction sites such as Hermann Historica and Czerny's usually give dimensions for polearms (head alone or with haft). That will help you, too.

Attachment: 108.28 KB
polearmscale1.jpeg

Attachment: 89.37 KB
polearmscale2.jpeg

Attachment: 98 KB
polearmscale3.jpeg

Attachment: 74.09 KB
polearmscale4.jpeg

Attachment: 95.61 KB
polearmscale6.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Mon 18 Feb, 2008 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a modern reproduction I modified, and which matches the spear silhouette you posted above. This was a Hanwei "Viking Throwing Spear". Now it's a more generic spear that could represent different historical periods. These are quite inexpensive, but they require a small amount of work to de-Vikingize them. Details here, including detailed discussion of historical spear dimensions:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

You should be sure to search for "spiess" under "Materielle Objekte" in the 1350-1450 range at this site:

http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/realonline/

You'll see many paintings from this period, all showing the varieties and dimensions of spears.

Attachment: 43.43 KB
download.jpeg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ive been all over europe and i measure much of what i see ive seen spears fron 12in (broken) to 17in and 15 in being the most common there are ofcoarse all sorts of ''freaks" with odd measurements ive seen my average was 15in. so thats the length of my spear. its similiar to yours but is winged, but of roughly same silouete.
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Felix R.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much, the informations are very helpful. This way I can get a better idea of the dimensions.
Merv Cannon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Polearm sizes         Reply with quote

[quote="Sean Flynt"]. The photos below give some sense of scale compared to more familiar arms and armour (helmets, swords). Note the 15th or 16th c. bill head next to hoes and musket balls. As for overall length, you see some indication here of the variety. Even for a given type of head, haft length could vary by two or three feet. This research is complicated by replaced or damaged hafts, but there are some intact originals out there. 6-8 feet would be a reasonable range for a bill, with spears more in the 7-10 foot range. Spear heads vary a great deal, from very small to enormous.quote]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sean......Just wonderring.............what Museum are those photos from......esp. the ones with the green - tint background ?

Thanks...

Merv Cannon

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Polearm sizes         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
[
Hi Sean......Just wonderring.............what Museum are those photos from......esp. the ones with the green - tint background ?
Merv Cannon

Those are from Manouchehr's wonderful thread on the Musée de l'Armée, Paris:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=paris

-Sean

Peter G.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

good source if you are looking for sizes is the great book

"Europäische Hieb-und Stichwaffen" by Müller.
Printed in the now gone german democratic republic.
About 500pics of european swords, daggers, sabers, pikes, maces and halberds.
Every piece with a short description incl size, weight and makers marks.
Felix R.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint on the book, just ordered it. I will see what I will come up with regarding the sizes.

But for the pictured pieces in my first post.

What do you think if I dimension the back spike to about 10-12 cm in length, this woud result in a socket-tip length of 47.5cm, a top spike of 12.5cm and blade length 22.5 cm. What do you think.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter G. wrote:
good source if you are looking for sizes is the great book

"Europäische Hieb-und Stichwaffen" by Müller.
Printed in the now gone german democratic republic.
About 500pics of european swords, daggers, sabers, pikes, maces and halberds.
Every piece with a short description incl size, weight and makers marks.

It's a great book, one of my favorites. For armour, check out the sister book: Europäische Helme also by Müller.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Felix R.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, I just calculated the dimension on the picture, what do you think, would this be resonable sized, or better the smaller one?

Attachment: 45.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 85.59 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Felix R. on Wed 20 Feb, 2008 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would guess that the similar example I posted would be closer to the larger of your plans. However, the dfference between your plans is probably small enough to be within historical parameters. I think you're in a good range here, but if I can remember to do it I'll check Waldman.
-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're in luck, Felix! Waldman's chapter on bills includes stats for a piece that will interest you. Looks like your calculations were very accurate.

Attachment: 105.25 KB
billtext.jpg

Attachment: 114.72 KB
bill.jpg

-Sean

Felix R.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, thank you, that hit the spot. It looks quite similar in many aspects, perhaps it is a little later than mine, because it is a little more refined. Interesting that they it states a 5 ft. haft. I would have considered 6 ft. though for my use. But that is not too far out I think.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dimensions of Spears, Lanceheads and Bills
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic