Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armoury Actium? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
OK, it is lunchtime and I had a few minutes to look for a copy of the article from the "Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies" that I sent Erik when we were designing my Gladius Hispaniensis. It contains several blades that had been found and that had not been included in the first edition of Bishop & Coulston's book but most are in the 2nd edition my copy of which is at home. There are at least three blades shown in that article that are shaped remarkably like the Actium. The article is from Volume 10 of the Journal, is by Peter Connolly, and is titled "Pilum, Gladius and Pugio in the Late Republic" which would cover the period that includes Actium, both battle in 31 BCE and the sword.

Gus, my guess is that Erik sent you that article as he had a copy from me. Whether he should have done so is up to him as I understand that I was within my rights to put the article to personal use, which is what I did, having paid for it. If anyone wants to see the article, I suggest contacting the David Brown Book Company, the American distributors of the Journal, at david.brown.bk.co@snet.net

Thanks Hugh

I suspect that there's a good chance that a more accurate glad will be looked at in the future. Not this one certainly, but a more accurate one that isn't currently being offered elsewhere.......

I'll forward the info to the appropriate folks........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Angus Trim"]
Darrin Hughes wrote:

It was discussed some time ago, the thought about making this sword "more accurate". Dropping the fullering was discussed, and then because the fullering adds a lot to the overall sword's appearance, it was decided to keep the fullering.

I'm sure that if Sonny was approached, he would take into consideration doing another iteration of this down the road sans fullers.........

But on the other hand, if this interpretation sells well, then it likely won't disappear. Assuming that the forge does a faithful job of reproducing the blade geometry, its going to be a real fine handling sword. And handling, up close appearance, and price is what wins the battle in mall stores and event booths............

Actually if I decide to purchase this gladius instead of another model from another maker it's going to be a lot because of the way I find the fullers very attractive.

The odds a very good that I will buy one in fact. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a feeling one of these just may end up hanging on my sword rack sooner rather than later.
Any stats?
The idea of historical plausability is enough to make me interested. I have ahard time believing that some customizations weren't made on individual's swords every now and again, especiallly in the upper ranks.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jean.

The Actium footnote was meant to be an example of what I might have written if I was being unneccesarily trivial. It wasn't meant to be the main point of the post, which was that I felt the comments about the sword had been polite and constructive, and in no way constituted an attack.

Cheers,
Darrin.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hugh Fuller wrote:
OK, it is lunchtime and I had a few minutes to look for a copy of the article from the "Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies" that I sent Erik when we were designing my Gladius Hispaniensis. It contains several blades that had been found and that had not been included in the first edition of Bishop & Coulston's book but most are in the 2nd edition my copy of which is at home. There are at least three blades shown in that article that are shaped remarkably like the Actium. The article is from Volume 10 of the Journal, is by Peter Connolly, and is titled "Pilum, Gladius and Pugio in the Late Republic" which would cover the period that includes Actium, both battle in 31 BCE and the sword.

Gus, my guess is that Erik sent you that article as he had a copy from me. Whether he should have done so is up to him as I understand that I was within my rights to put the article to personal use, which is what I did, having paid for it. If anyone wants to see the article, I suggest contacting the David Brown Book Company, the American distributors of the Journal, at david.brown.bk.co@snet.net

Thanks Hugh

I suspect that there's a good chance that a more accurate glad will be looked at in the future. Not this one certainly, but a more accurate one that isn't currently being offered elsewhere.......

If you, CF, and Valiant look into both that article and the 2nd edition of Roman Military Equipment: From the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome by Michael C. Bishop and J. C. N. Coulston, both from David Brown Books, you will have a number of choices and won't go wrong to follow them.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:
Hello Jean.

The Actium footnote was meant to be an example of what I might have written if I was being unneccesarily trivial. It wasn't meant to be the main point of the post, which was that I felt the comments about the sword had been polite and constructive, and in no way constituted an attack.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Oh, I undestood that correctly and I completely agree with you: I just replied to the part that inspired me to add some comments of my own about how one shouldn't put to much meaning in the choice of the name of the gladius. Cool

( Oh, quoting an entire post every time can load up the Topic with a lot of text and I often only copy the specific part I want to address. It doesn't mean that the rest of your post wasn't interesting or that I disagreed with it ).

And I agree that bringing up historical issues wasn't meant to be negative comments: Just questions/opinions. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Hugh Fuller wrote:

Thanks Hugh

If you, CF, and Valiant look into both that article and the 2nd edition of Roman Military Equipment: From the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome by Michael C. Bishop and J. C. N. Coulston, both from David Brown Books, you will have a number of choices and won't go wrong to follow them.

Thanks Hugh

I'll look into it too. For the Valiant stuff certainly, but also for the future of the "Maker's Mark" line at CF's.

Thanks again Hugh......

swords are fun
Tim May

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, this is truly gorgeous, the point of historical accuracy aside (which Sonny makes a lot of sense when he says could have been). Everything though, the scabbard, the blade, the fullers Happy there's a fantastic sense of continuity in the sword that adds volumes to its beauty, the sum of the parts truly does not equal the whole. Two questions, I suppose, first of all, what type of wood did Christian Fletcher use for the hilt? And in case I missed the link to ordering information and pricing if anyone could supply it I'd be most thankful.
Again, Gus, Christian, Sonny, this is simply breathtaking, I can't remember being as struck by a piece since seeing Jake Pownings work for the first time, all due congratulations!
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The more that I look at the Actium, the more it appeals to me esthetically, especially the fullers. I have a soft spot for blades with fullers such as the gorgeous cinquedea that I bought from Tinker Pearce. Here is a link to the Actium page on Christian Fletcher's website that has views of the sword not shone before:
http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...ctium.html

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am getting curious about the whole Mainz thing. The model seems to be named after the battle of Actium (20's B.C. period?). Does the advertising literature actually say it is nearly identical to the surviving Mainz gladius artifact? What is probably disturbing many of us is that we are used to fairly classic blades, and artistic creation mainly in small areas of furniture on Albion models. Most people were enthused with the Gallowglass which I guess had some period basis for incised lines on the blade. I suppose those who object to the Actium feel that only functional fullers were ever used on a gladius? The Spanish sword the Mainz style is widely considered to have been derived from does in fact exhibit lines similar to this in some cases. (Reference "Cannae: The Experience of Battle in the Second Punic War").

Where I would have concern is if the fullers were deep and big, set that far apart. They would not serve the same purpose of an average fuller which is to reduce weight at the spine of the blade, but leave most of the structural advantage of a big diamond cross section. Big fullers set in those locations might weaken the blade in cutting plane. These fullers look "decorative" in proportions, so I would say they don't impair the sword's durability or supplement its performance in any significant way.

Attachment: 45.46 KB
spanishsword.jpg

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I am getting curious about the whole Mainz thing. The model seems to be named after the battle of Actium (20's B.C. period?). Does the advertising literature actually say it is nearly identical to the surviving Mainz gladius artifact? What is probably disturbing many of us is that we are used to fairly classic blades, and artistic creation mainly in small areas of furniture on Albion models. Most people were enthused with the Gallowglass which I guess had some period basis for incised lines on the blade. I suppose those who object to the Actium feel that only functional fullers were ever used on a gladius? The Spanish sword the Mainz style is widely considered to have been derived from does in fact exhibit lines similar to this in some cases. (Reference "Cannae: The Experience of Battle in the Second Punic War").

Where I would have concern is if the fullers were deep and big, set that far apart. They would not serve the same purpose of an average fuller which is to reduce weight at the spine of the blade, but leave most of the structural advantage of a big diamond cross section. Big fullers set in those locations might weaken the blade in cutting plane. These fullers look "decorative" in proportions, so I would say they don't impair the sword's durability or supplement its performance in any significant way.

Jared

I've been off on aesthetics things before, in fact a fellow named Tinker will tell you that I'm "aesthetically challenged". But handling and performance are my game, and I won't put fullers on a blade that will damage durability, or in any way negatively influence handling or performance..........

If the production pieces are faithfully carried out {and I believe they will be}, they will perform just fine............

swords are fun

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armoury Actium?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: