Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > so you thought hollow pommels were bad? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We had a customer last week who brought to blades into our workshop. The tangs of those blades where snapped of clean and obviously had been welded in place. I try and take a picture of the blades during the weekend.
As far as i know they were made by Kovex Ars, which is sad since i can remember that their blades used to be of better quality.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
R. Hunter

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was the friend of Kerry's with the practical side sword. Four out of four were ready to break...actually one already broke and another was halfway broken through in the tang...just like the other. They were put to fairly light theatrical use. I have a dozen or two Hanwei weapons and this is not my first issue with the quality of their construction. I keep trying them out because the price is so low (you get what you pay for, but I'm still curious so I keep trying).
On the flipside I have several hundred other weapons and have had very few problems and no breakage. I won't plug anyone in particular but I have used many other makers who specialize in forging weapons for the stage.
In my opinion, poor construction should be the rare exception (at the worst) not the rule.
R
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the picture i "promised" above:

Attachment: 124.3 KB
[ Download ]

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Kerry Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those look pretty odd. I dont see any grain structure in the material at the break at all. Is that a trick of the picture? If they are actually smooth , it would appear the welded metal wasnt beveled at all before welding. Pretty odd and a beginners mistake if thats true. I cant see a smith (or welder!) who has been around doing something like that. Maybe an unsupervised new guy in the shop?

Do you have pics of the other end of the tang?

http://www.fireandbrimstone.com
http://www.baltimoreknife.com
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is indeed not a break in the material of the tang. The other half of it was simply welded to the sword by two simple points on the outside of the tang.
Since the customer only brought the blades in our shop i am not able to make a picture of the missing piece, sorry.

I have heard rumors that some shops now actually sell pieces like that, but that is the first time i have one in my hands.
It would be "ok" i they were just intended to be cheap decorational blades, but they were meant to be used in show fights at ren-fairs.

Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
As far as these feats go, "Gary Chelette" would no doubt make me look "Silly", given the fact that he is a 7th degree black belt in karate and therefore a "Grand Master", I am only a 1st degree black belt but from a tough to get rank school.

Bob

Did I hear my name in vain?
I have given up feats of super human ability long ago when I found out I could be harmed just like anyone else on this planet!
I have stories of some you would not believe is true, but I paid dearly for each of them. In all my years, if I have learned nothing else, is that it's insane to run with sharp, pointy objects. Listen to your mother! She will save you much grief.
BTW: I hope that bottle was empty! That would be a waste of good beer otherwise. Eek!

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi!
Arne are you shure this is kovex-ars ??? i know his blades, but i don't recognice these.
As far as i know czech swordsmiths, i can say that kovex sure would like to know that such ""swords"" left his workshop.
because Kovex`s standard is definitely changing, but this is absolutly unseen till now.
is there a makersmark on the blades?

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The customer told me that he puchased them from Kovex Ars, thats why i said "as far as i know".
There is no makers mark on the blade to verify this.
I know the Kovex-Marks from many older blades. It might be that my information was not correct.

Steve Halston

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Hanwei Practical Knightly.

It appears to be very solidly constructed, and it is peened, but something that caught my eye out of the box was that the steel of the blade seemed to have a very flat shine to it. I wondered about the temper, and did a flex-test, bending the blade about 60 degrees out of line like I do with my Windlass swords when I get them.

Sure enough, the blade took a set. The tempering is very poor. I was able to bend it back into line with my hands.

I've heard a lot of anecdotes about Hanwei's spotty quality control (No sources cited, these are all anecdotal accounts from private conversations and not published anywhere).

They really need to step up their quality control. Mr Paul Chen seems to know his stuff, but at the lower end Hanwei seems to turn out a lot of lemons.

I'm considering the aquisition of a few of Windlass Steelcraft's new stage swords. Particularly, Windlass Steelcrafts has adapted their "Sword of War" into their new "Two Handed Stage Combat Sword". The Sword of War has a reputation for being a real beater, and their steel is aquiring a good reputation for superior tempering.

Tempered steel and tempered spirit are the foremost attributes of a man at arms.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too have a practical knightly though I am unwilling to try and bend it.

I have wondered what their pommel and cross guard are made of, though, as they've been handled by bare hands and have not actually taken any corrosion.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
I too have a practical knightly though I am unwilling to try and bend it.

I have wondered what their pommel and cross guard are made of, though, as they've been handled by bare hands and have not actually taken any corrosion.

M.

Hanwei has used stainless steel fittings on their basket hilts and rapiers for a while, perhaps always. It would make sense that their other swords could have stainless steel fittings.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > so you thought hollow pommels were bad?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: