Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hospitaller Arrives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Hospitaller Arrives         Reply with quote

At 4:30 today, I came home from a rather boring afternoon, complemented by the similarly dreary weather. To my surprise and utter delight, however, I found an immaculate white cardboard box on my porch. I quickly took it into the kitchen, and opened one end.

I carefully stuck my hand in, but not carefully enough, and my sword drew its first blood. It's never a good indicator when your new pet bites you.

I lifted my sword from its styrofoam prison, and was struck by how light it felt. My first (and only until today) sword was a CAS Iberia 'fully functional' Phillipines-made type, and it felt heavy as an anchor, but this blade sang in my hand. The CAS is actually lighter. It suddenly dawned on me why swords are such revered weapons. They deserve it.

After naming it 'Sava', I went outside, and practiced various guards, feints, and cuts with it, but the large pommel dug into my hand. Either my fingers are too short (so my hand slips down the grip), I'm just gripping it wrong, or it just needs a bit of breaking in and getting used to. In any case, I adjusted my grip some by moving a thumb up onto the cross-guard, against the flat of the blade and that seemed to help.

After about an hour, I came back inside and wrote a review for an hour, then accidentally closed the window. I'll write another one as soon as my head stops hurting.

It's still a marvelous weapon, and I've got a number of pictures. The grip is oxblood. The background is a dining room wall, and a tablecloth. Because with a sword this fine, you must romance it, not just pick it up.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations! Having bought my first sword recently, I can relate to the feeling of awe and elation when pulling it out of it's "white prison".

I see fingerprints on the blade in your first picture, that's blasphemy! Laughing Out Loud
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander,
I'm glad you like your new toy, er, acquisition. Happy As for the grip, you may want to try more of a handshake grip than a hammer grip. The hammer grip puts the arm at about 90 degrees to the grip. For me, it tends to make my forearm too rigid and cutting suffers. Also, large pommels will dig into the heel of the hand. The handshake grip puts the arm/wrist at somewhere closer to 45 degrees or so. For me, this loosens the forearm, making cuts better. It also has the benefit of allowing the pommel to slide by the heel of the hand.

Aaron Schnatterly put it this way:

Quote:
Hammer grip - the middle and ring, using the pointer as a guiding force. Thumb has significant hold, too.
Handshake - ring slightly more than the middle, much less thumb's body, more thumb's pad.

There's a whole thread on the handshake and other grips here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2478

Since a sword like the Hospitaller is made for sweeping cuts and is a descendent of Viking cutting swords, a less rigid (important: not less firm)grip may be better.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations on such a fine sword Big Grin

That's gotta be one mean cutter Evil

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
As for the grip, you may want to try more of a handshake grip than a hammer grip.

I considered the handshake, but I ran into one problem: How do I feint? Because this is a cutter with a long blade, it's going to want to pull itself out of my hand if I don't squeeze it like it's an insubordinate pimple, and I'm having trouble getting so strong of a grip on it with the handshake. At least, that's what it feels like...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
I considered the handshake, but I ran into one problem: How do I feint? Because this is a cutter with a long blade, it's going to want to pull itself out of my hand if I don't squeeze it like it's an insubordinate pimple, and I'm having trouble getting so strong of a grip on it with the handshake. At least, that's what it feels like...

This is an interesting point. I've found that an overly strong grip often makes me have less control of the sword. I've found that by loosening up on it, I can actually control the weapon better and get more strength into a blow with the obvious advantage of also aiming that blow better. I don't know why, but it's my natural tendency to be afraid I'll lose a sword, so I tend to grip it too tight. On a completely unrelated note, this is why I tend to like complex hilts with thumb-rings: they give me a sense of security while allowing me to lesson my grip and earn the benefits described above.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
As for the grip, you may want to try more of a handshake grip than a hammer grip.

I think a sword like this would be better suited for commited blows. In other words, large sweeping cuts that are carefully calculated and intended to follow through it's target. Some historians beleive that this is how the Vikings used their swords. Combined with a large shield this style can be quite effective. Some feints are certainly possible but less so that lighter cut and thrust types.

This is my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I agree with Nathan that a more relaxed grip will give you more control. It will also help avoid some fatigue in the hands which will tire you out quickly. Also, if your fairly new at working with these large blades it maybe that you need to get a little stronger in the wrists and forearm.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... That bit of opinion is actually quite comforting.. After reading it I went out and stopped feinting nearly so harshly. Wouldn't you know, I'm now much more comfortable with it. Thanks for that bit of advice. Mind, this handshake grip takes a bit of getting used to. Once I've appropriately acclimated myself to it, I'll write the review.

As for arm and wrist strength, I think I've got plenty of that. 2+ years of hitting hot things with hammers doesn't just go to waste, you know. Razz
John Marciano

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on the Hospitaller. That's one cool looking blade.
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, as promised, here is the Standard Issue myArmoury.com Review™ for the Hospitaller

Introduction

The type XI, seen in use roughly between the 11th and 14th centuries, shows many differences from the Viking blades from which it is derived. Its longer, narrower blade and a thinner, shallow fuller differentiate it from the earlier types. Despite these deviations, however, it still shares many commonalities with its prevalent ancestors.

It is almost exclusively a cutting blade, often with a more pronounced point than the Viking swords, but not uncommonly with the spatulate tip found on older weapons. These swords have a significant blade presence, and were often used by mounted combatants.

In the early Middle Ages, around 1080, the Order of the Hospital of St. John was founded originally to provide medical care and shelter to pilgrims, as an annex to the monastery if Santa Maria Latina. Soon after the First Crusade in 1099, however, it received recognition and land, even from the Pope in 1113. Though it was originally founded by a group of monks intent on healing the sick and wounded, in the 1130's, probably under influence from the Templars, it achieved a military aspect, protecting pilgrims travelling to the Latin East.

Eventually the Order would grow in prestige and might, subsuming many of the lands lost after the Templars were found guilty in 1312. They remained as defenders of many of the Catholic islands in the Eastern Mediterranean, though after the losses of Rhodes and Cyprus, they retired to Malta, eventually being dissolved by Napoleon.

Overview

Unlike most of Albion Armorers' Next Generation models, the Hospitaller is based entirely from a single sword (except the grip), rather than bits from various different blades. It is based off the sword #1027 in the Royal Armoury at Leeds, a very simple type XI. Albion identifies it as a typical sword for a mounted combatant of the Crusader era, placing it roughly around the late 12th century.

Measurements and Specifications:

Weight: 2 pounds, 10 ounces
Overall length: 40 inches
Blade length: 33 3/4 inches
Blade width: 1 22/25 inches at base
Grip length: 3 7/8 inches
Guard width: 6 3/4 inches
Point of Balance: 5 1/4 inches from guard
Center of Percussion: ~22 inches from guard
Oakeshott typology: Type XI blade, Type G pommel, Style 1 guard

Replica created by Albion Armorers of Wisconsin.

Fit and Finish

As with all of Albion's Next Generation line, this sword is made to a high level of excellence. The fittings are tight, and well, machined. There was a small casting flaw on the underside of the guard, but it is extremely difficult to notice, and it was only in an attempt to find imperfections in the casting that I was actually able to spot it.

The pommel is peened, the peen itself flush with the end of the pommel, and so expertly concealed that upon first looking for it and being unable to find it, I almost thought it might have been a screw-on tang. After a second look, I found a small, near-invisible circle on the pommel where the sword had been peened.

The blade is well finished, the fuller perfectly machined into the blade and the edge razor sharp. There is a negligible difference in the curve of the spatulate point, making it a little uneven to a keenly scouring eye. It does not detract from the aesthetic beauty of the blade, but it is still visible upon a close look at the point, which is generally not advised.

The leather-wrapped handle came in brand-new condition, and therefore needed a little bit of breaking in, some of the 'ox-blood' dye flaking off onto my hands.

Handling Characteristics

The Hospitaller handles wonderfully. While I at first tried using a hammer grip, that quickly failed and I used a handshake grip somewhat akin to that of the Viking swords. This was much more comfortable and had better edge alignment, identified by a light swish sound when I swung the blade. I cut at the air a few times, and learned that it moves with great purpose, being quite manoeuvrable for its length. It does not weigh heavily on the hand, but instead is simply there. Coupled with the rather significant blade presence the weapon feels exceptionally deadly, but still manageable.

The recovery from the swings is comfortably easy, and I found it equally easy to swing forehand as backhand.

I then took it to cutting on a 1/2 gallon milk jug and a 20 oz. half & half bottle (now half in half). Never having test cut anything before, I was impressed by how easily the sword went through the jug. I would have thought I had missed were it not for the very comforting ring of the tempered blade. The base of the jug didn't move from its stand, but instead the top 3/4 simply fell off. The half & half bottle produced slightly different results because of the bottle's thickness or composition.

Conclusion

Even though this is my first real sword, I can say with confidence that I am extremely happy with my purchase. It is an extremely comfortable sword for me, and would be very powerful in the hand of a sword-and-shield combatant or a cavalier. Its combination of power and grace make me think of it as a controlled, helm-cleaving tidal wave. I'm sure it would be a sword like this with which El Cid magically 'Tiró al suelo siete moros y mató a otros cuatro de una vez.'*

*This translates into 'Threw seven Moors to the ground [that is, slew them] and killed four more with one stroke.'

Last edited by Alexander Hinman on Tue 10 Jan, 2006 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander,

Thanks for the review, but I'd be very wary about discussing it in the context of two other swords that you have not handled. Remember that the other two reviews represent different people's responses to particular Albion swords and therefore your comparison can only be as good as your perception of their perceptions of the weapons. In other words, the description of the Templar and Ritter is twice removed from the actual swords. I think it's probably safer in the future to do comparisons and contrasts only with weapons you've handled personally.
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Point well taken, Craig, and corrected.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice review, Alexander. The Hospitaller has a certain austere beauty that I find very attractive. Congratulations on your acquisition.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Dave Calhoun

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

>searches frantically through smiley library<

Crud, can't find it!

We need a "This Thread is Worthless Without Pics" smiley.

Photos, man!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hospitaller Arrives
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic