Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: British Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

Since the Napoleonic Wars officers of the Royal Artillery carried the same regulation patterns that were required of infantry officers, while their counterparts in the Royal Horse Artillery carried the regulation patterns worn by light cavalry officers. Brian Robson (Swords of the British Army, 1996) states that at some undetermined point in the late 1840s, officers in RA gave up carrying the infantry pattern sword in favor of Pattern 1821 Light Cavalry officer's sword. Robson tries to pinpoint a date for this change by examining portraiture of the period, and determines that this change probably occurred in 1846-47. The Dress Regulations of 1857 describe the the sword for all artillery officers as "Regulation, Light Cavalry". To this day the Pattern 1821 is the regulation pattern for officers of the Royal Artillery.

This 1821 Pattern Artillery Officer's sword was made or supplied by Phillips & Son, George Street, Hanover Square, London. This would date it between 1864-1875 (according to Bezdek's Swords and Sword Makers of England and Scotland). Blade: 32 ¼” Overall: 37 5/8” Weight: 1 lb. 15 oz.

The blade bears the initials FFD, which stands for Francis Frederick Ditmas. Here are some details of his service:

1 September 1863: promoted to Lieutenant
August 1864: serving in 6th Artillery Brigade
21 February 1876; promoted to captain
17 April 1883: promoted to Major
September 1889: serving in the Cinque Ports Division of the Royal Garrison Artillery, stationed at Sheerness
16 July 1895: promoted to full Colonel (some time between 1889 and 1895 he must have been promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel)
4 November 1896: promoted to Army Staff
February 1897: serving on the Staff of Thames District command, based at Chatham and comprising the 50th regimental district (Sheerness, Gravesend, Shoeburyness and the Thames defences in Essex). By this appointment, Ditmas was the senior Artillery officer for the whole District.
26 March 1900: And from the Boer War Shipping Lists from the London Times: "The Umbria, which calls at Queenstown to embark 20 officers and 502 men, took on board at Southampton 99 officers and 1606 men. The Umbria sailed Saturday from Southampton. Listed are: Staff - Lt.-Col. F.F. Ditmas..."

I am not sure of the details of Ditmas' early career, but he seems to have been a staff officer serving at home for a good portion of his career. He probably bought this sword soon after receiving his commission, and he replaced the scabbard before he boarded the ship for South Africa (the brown leather service scabbard was adopted in the 1890s). He was a career military man and retired in or around 1901, because he is listed in the 1901 census as a retired colonel.

Colonel Ditmas himself:

His obituary:

Shoeburyness, a familiar site to the Colonel:

An RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) officer:
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a fantastic sword. The curves of the guard are very appealing to my eye, and the condition is awesome. Interesting bit of history about the owner, always adds to the sword.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Allen. When I first saw this sword I was attracted to it ruggged yet elegant looks. My appreciation for the weapon increased dramatically after researching the original owner. There is still a lot to learn about him, but all in good time! I am hoping to find bother researchable Victorian sword next week at the Baltimore Show.

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: British Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

Jonathan, is the British P1821 Artillery Officer's Sword used in parades today?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: British Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Jonathan, is the British P1821 Artillery Officer's Sword used in parades today?

Yes, it is still the regulation pattern for all R.A. officers.

Jonathan
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the classic lines of the P1821, and yours has aged very gracefully, Jonathan. I must acquire one for myself, one of these days.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic