Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Steel Has Gone Up Again Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Dustin R. Reagan

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Ummm...I don't know anything about $3 a lbs.

Ok, here, don't take my word for it then, Mr. Senefelder:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518568

Actually, that comes out to LESS than $3.00/lbs! Including shipping! This is premium quality blade steel, too!

Please don't imply that I am pulling figures out of my ass. Also, you have lost a customer; I will not be making any purchases from you, Mr. Senefelder (and I am in the market for a harness...i was considering your wares). Your complaints about utilities, shipping and packing materials are well-noted. Please read my post more carefully.

Your post hacked me off a bit, as well.

Thanks,
Dustin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To everyone:

This is the Makers forum. It is described as, "Announcements, press releases, and marketing information from the makers, manufacturers, and vendors of arms and armour"

It is bad form for you guys to debate and argue with the maker in this forum. Other forums on this site are more appropriate for such convesations.

Dustin:

Your last post is completely out of bounds for reasons I do not need to explain to anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes discovering the expectations and culture of this site. As such, you've lost your ability to post on myArmoury.com. Should you want this reversed, you are free to email me directly and discuss it.

Have a good day.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have noticed a small price increase in steel prices over the last year .UK prices for steel (that I Have come across ) seem to be in the region of £3.50 to £8.00 per kilo with VAT and delivery added .
the last big purchace from uderholm UK cost me £1300 for 200 kilo of steel . that is an equilelent price of £6500 per tonne .
It is worth remembering

All steels do not cost the same

In the UK it can be hard to find steel stockholders willing to deal small quantities of steel ,(for small read less then multiples of one tonne)

Getting steel (to your spec ) in the size you want can be awkward to impossable ,It takes 1/2 a hour of powerhammering for me to get a piece of W2 to a size I can use for sword blade stock this efectivly doubles the price of my steel before I start to make from it

Even small increases in overheads can affect (greatly ) a makers profitability especially if they are running a marginal business .many of us exist close to the margine .

forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
David Britten

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush wrote:
I have noticed a small price increase in steel prices over the last year .UK prices for steel (that I Have come across ) seem to be in the region of £3.50 to £8.00 per kilo with VAT and delivery added .
the last big purchace from uderholm UK cost me £1300 for 200 kilo of steel . that is an equilelent price of £6500 per tonne .
It is worth remembering

All steels do not cost the same

In the UK it can be hard to find steel stockholders willing to deal small quantities of steel ,(for small read less then multiples of one tonne)

Getting steel (to your spec ) in the size you want can be awkward to impossable ,It takes 1/2 a hour of powerhammering for me to get a piece of W2 to a size I can use for sword blade stock this efectivly doubles the price of my steel before I start to make from it

Even small increases in overheads can affect (greatly ) a makers profitability especially if they are running a marginal business .many of us exist close to the margine .

HI Owen,
I don't think anyone is debating that cost for sword production is up.
Energy costs are up.
Cost of living is up.

However I think the point being made was that steel is not a deciding factor on sword cost. Amount of skilled work is really the lions share of the cost. Personally I certainly don't complain about paying a little extra to ensure the livelihood of a skilled craftsman. The rise in steel cost would effect a 1% rise in sword cost a most whereas energy and cost of living will have far more impact on sword costs.

Regards,
Dave.

Glasgow Company of Duellists
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The rise in steel cost would effect a 1% rise in sword cost a most whereas energy and cost of living will have far more impact on sword costs.

The base majority material from which swords and armour are made doubling in cost over two years has a substantial effect on the cots of these items.
David Britten

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Quote:
The rise in steel cost would effect a 1% rise in sword cost a most whereas energy and cost of living will have far more impact on sword costs.

The base majority material from which swords and armour are made doubling in cost over two years has a substantial effect on the cots of these items.

Could you define substantial in term of percentage cost per item?

Regards,
Dave.

Glasgow Company of Duellists
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In 2006 I was paying about $37.50 at the begining of that year for a 4'x8' sheet of 16 gauge cold rolled mild steel. I used 65 sheets that year. That comes out to $2437.50. At the price steel hit last moth when I posted this, the same quantity of steel would now cost over $6000.00. If that trend were to continue that quantity of steel will cost about $12,000 in 2010.Thats alot more money to lay out at least for me, and i'm not ordering 5000 lbs of steel at a time like Albion, I can't imagine the sticker shock on an order that size when a price jump occures.

Maybe its the commonlality of everyone getting an electric bill or having to buy gas, but its odd that everyone is okay with things going up because of that ( actually i'm not okay with those things going up either, I find the situation and the politicians who've gotten us here absurd) but not becuase steel, the medium in which makers in this realm work, has gone up. I'm sorry to have upset folks with what I thought was a simple informational blurb, my intent was just to give a heads up about whats going on not to create discourse.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alan,
You may have more bad news coming,
may be worth a chat with your supplier sooner rather than later as,
i was in the steel stockist today to check for a job tomorrow,
1 metrex2 metre,4.5mm mild steel chequer plate,£85.00 plus 17.5%vat to add,
unprompted the fine chap behing the counter,said buy this week,
monday see's a new set of price increases, he hadnt been told what % as yet,but did say it seems to be in response to China-Asia putting in some large orders at the mills they use,
he said when they are told the increases late it's normally a good hike up,Sad
but on a positive note, lead has dropped some 10 pence per kilo the last few weeks,but copper still seems to be in huge demand with no respite in sight,
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Malcolm A wrote:
Hi
The industry that I am employed in, subsea oil and gas, has noticed a big up turn in steel prices too. I understand that much of the increase is due to the boom in the Chinese economy.
I further understand that there is an increase in theft of copper and steel from industrial sites / yards etc that is being sold on to unscrupulous dealers who then pass it on up the supply chain.

Exactly what is said here in the heavily industrialized brescian area.

Steel has gone very high because of chinese demand and copper theft is cool among band of thieves.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. O'Hagan's increase has come about and I have just had a call from my supplier informing me that as of June 1st steel will increase 30-50 cents a pound or as he explained it to me another $32.00 per 4'x8' sheet of what I use brining the cost per sheet up to a bit over $140.00 a piece. An increase of almost $60.00 per since the first of the year and a 200% jump since '06. My supplier was warned that another increase is comming.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guess its a good thing inflation is not really a broad problem according to the brains right now. WTF?!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Steel Has Gone Up Again
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: