Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grossemesser VS Kriegsmesser Definition Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Grossemesser VS Kriegsmesser Definition         Reply with quote

On Swordforum there's a discussion going on over the definition of the Grossemesser vs the Kriegsmesser.

The discussion has touched on products from a number of vendors and the line seems to be rather blurry.

I was wondering if someone here could define the difference between the two.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Grossemesser VS Kriegsmesser Definition         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
On Swordforum there's a discussion going on over the definition of the Grossemesser vs the Kriegsmesser.

The discussion has touched on products from a number of vendors and the line seems to be rather blurry.

I was wondering if someone here could define the difference between the two.

This may very well be one of those arguments that runs in a continuous circle, like "What is a Rapier?"

In my understanding a Grossemesser (meaning big knife) is the single-handed version of these weapons where as the Kriegsmesser (meaning war knife) is the hand-and-a-half version of the type. They both seem to be characterized by a wide flat single-edged blade with a wedge shaped cross-section. Another defining characteristic of the type seems to be the slab-sided grip construction.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We discussed this on myArmoury.com awhile ago.

The distinction lies within the size and purpose of the weapon being discussed. It gets more confusing when you start adding the falchion and Swiss Saber into the mix as well. Hilt contruction, purpose, and overall proportions/size remain the important issues.

Read what Peter Johnsson has to say in This Post on the issue.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one, posted over at ARMA ( http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/heymr.htm ), is as large a messer-looking weapon as I've seen. Whether it would be called a kreigmesser or not I don't know. It doesn't have a scale grip (though such might be concealed by a leather wrap), and guard and pommel are more of more typical military sword-form. Anyway, the blade size and shape is what I think of when I hear the term.

Attachment: 46.51 KB
heymr58_lg.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 03 Sep, 2004 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, that looks like a saber to me. A large one at that. (Grossesabel)
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Makes sense. The caption ID's it as either a grossemesser or grossesabel. A good photo of the grip elsewhere on that page pretty much rules out scale construction, so by that criteria alone it wouldn't be a messer. But the blade shape....do you think it would be wider if a kreigmesser, or pretty much the same, but in a messer hilt?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Sean,

I know this weapon fairly well. It is kept in the Royal Armouries in Stockholm in the cellar stores.

It is not a messer, it is a two handed sabre of 17th C date.

The blade is in 17th C style and by this accord not quite the style of the typical messer blade, but this is a very fine distinction. Basically, something close to this could be mounted as a messer. The hilt is not right of couse, but the blade fitted in a 16th C style messer hilt would not be too strange.
This blade has a swelling at the point on the backside along the backedge. There is a term for this, I just can´t remember right now, but this feature is often found on sabres. That is not a typical messer trait, but could perhaps be found on very late messers?
There are very seldom any firm lines here.
This weapon is not a messer though. That is for sure.

It is a very nice weapon and of unusual type.
It handles incredibly well, and has a stout and dependable feel while being light for its size. Note: it looks bigger than it really is because of the wide angle lense. It has a blade length of 874 mm and a blade width of 37 mm. The weigth is 1560 grams. It is classified as "two-handed cutlass" in the Royal Armouries catalogue and is said to be of Dutch type with a German blade. Inv. No. 5120.

Grosse sabel? I have not hear that as a name per se. Speaking German, you could well call this a big sabre, but to mint a new name as a flirt with the group "messer" is a bit dodgy I think.
Two-handed sabre is a very fitting name. No need to be more imaginative than that.

(Edited for spelling...)

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Sat 04 Sep, 2004 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Grosse sabel? I have not hear that as a name per se. Speaking German, you could well call this a big sabre, but to mint a new name as a flirt with the group "messer" is a bit dodgy I think.
Two handed sabre is a very fitting name. No need to be more imaginative than that.

Großsäbel (big sabre) would be ok (but not very good German), since it is possible to add Groß to a lot of things to show that it is meant big (Großbildfernseher = big TV, Großbaustelle = big construction site and so on), but großer Säbel (literally 'a big exemplar of the group of sabre') would be the grammatically better form Wink
Allen W

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Throughout Austria's museums both terms were used for long gripped versions. I believe Durers fechtbuch uses the term messer without any discriptive prefix. He shows only long gripped versions that are only being used with one hand. What modern typology might be I can't say but I believe the terms kriegsmesser, grossmesser, and messer were used interchangably in the time of their manufacture and use. Though as I type this it seems that those swords displayed in museums as kriegsmessers had rounded tips.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grossemesser VS Kriegsmesser Definition
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic