Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Glennan on being post 1000! Laughing Out Loud
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

awesome. in late 15thc u cant roll them hosen down Sad closed butt sniff sniff. some events i wish i was doing 14thc hehehe
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then of course separate hose is still an option for 15th century reenactors

Btw very nice and interesting interpretation of a Finnish peasant J. E. Hyväri
J. E. Hyväri

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
Then of course separate hose is still an option for 15th century reenactors

Btw very nice and interesting interpretation of a Finnish peasant J. E. Hyväri

Yes, in deed. Only the very fashionable people like knights and most soldiers would follow the latest trend of the joined hose even towards the end of 15th century.

Thank you. My interpretation of Finnish peasant outfit and gear is based on the nordic finds such as the Boksten man, the Herjolfnes clothes and contemporary art like miniatures in the Codex Aboensis (the book of my hometown). The weapons are based around the laws of the kingdom of Sweden (Finland was part of said kingdom in medieval times). Notably the ones conserning ledung and lansvärn. All the while the feudal nobility set laws against peasants (or more like land slaves) bearing weapons of war in the Western Europe, in Swedish kingdom the ledung law required free land owning peasants to bear certain arms. The law varied between different areas of the kingdom, but basicly it required a spear, bow and 36 arrows at minimum and recommended helmet, muzza (maille hood), body protection of brynja (maille), panzer (padded) or plata (coat of plates) and the keeping of a communal warship. It also could recommend sword and shield to be carried or at least an axe. As we know, from the finds after the mass graves from the battle of Wisby, at least the rich seafaring peasants of Gotland could actually afford equipment recommended in the law. While ledung expected quite good weapons and armament from peasants, landsvärn was more leanient. But the ledung was an offensive force for raiding while the landsvärn was a local defensive force.

Ledung system was being outdated during the 14th century, but the war on Swedish eastern border against the Principality of Novgorod was ever continuous guerilla war of raiding and pillaging, and it was mostly fought by Finnish speaking peasants on both sides (the medieval borderline cuts modern day Finland in two). This all you may know, but just to clarify why a peasant is bearing a sword...

"Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark
Jan J. Gahy

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: my kit         Reply with quote

Heres my late 15th century armor, this is old photo and Im still working on it and making it more colorful Happy jeah im so dirty on this pic because i showed to some people how to quickly stand up in plate armor Big Grin

Attachment: 216.09 KB
armor [ Download ]
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

Robert, is that from Maxim at WildArmoury? Because if it is, I had him copy that breast plate, add a back plate and do it in spring steel for me. I should have it in a couple of weeks.

You got it! This one is in Spring steel too, and is as light as feather. I actually removed the faulds recently, as they greatly disturbed the wearing of a sword belt, and had sort of an odd cut about them.

I'm about to ship it back over to Maxim to have it converted into a full cuirass with a back plate. I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to do about the faulds. I'm currently just wearing a nice maille skirt in conjunction with the plate. Make sure to either post some pictures or PM me the version of the plate you get, I'd love to see it with the back plate as well since I'm preparing to have that very operation done.
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This fauld looks like a skirt, too wide, that's probably why it causes you trouble. Also the breast plate looks too narrow (or too tall). Does it fit you OK? Most authentic breast plates are "short", narrow at the waist and wide at the armpits to allow free breathing. Look at milanese armor in this article http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html. Note that it is about as wide under the arms as it is tall from waist to neck. Also note that the fauld flares from the waist but then goes down almost vertically. Also the fauld does not stick forward as it seems to do in case of your breast plate.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

You got it! This one is in Spring steel too, and is as light as feather. I actually removed the faulds recently, as they greatly disturbed the wearing of a sword belt, and had sort of an odd cut about them.

I'm about to ship it back over to Maxim to have it converted into a full cuirass with a back plate. I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to do about the faulds. I'm currently just wearing a nice maille skirt in conjunction with the plate. Make sure to either post some pictures or PM me the version of the plate you get, I'd love to see it with the back plate as well since I'm preparing to have that very operation done.

Yeah mine is currently on his anvil now. I had him change the faulds slightly as well as do the back plate. I have some pictures of it in progress, but they don't really show much more than you have there, the backplate is looking especially good with room for my shoulders and spine.

I also picked up the grand bascient and 1410's shoulders he had with the brass trim on them to go along with the cuirass.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aleksei Sosnovski wrote:
This fauld looks like a skirt, too wide, that's probably why it causes you trouble. Also the breast plate looks too narrow (or too tall). Does it fit you OK? Most authentic breast plates are "short", narrow at the waist and wide at the armpits to allow free breathing. Look at milanese armor in this article http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html. Note that it is about as wide under the arms as it is tall from waist to neck. Also note that the fauld flares from the waist but then goes down almost vertically. Also the fauld does not stick forward as it seems to do in case of your breast plate.

You are 100% correct about all the issues with the fauld. That's why I had to remove them. As for the breastplate being too long or narrow, I took a quick shot of me wearing the breastplate so you could see how it falls better. I'm awfully tall and skinny (6'3 160 lbs) and the bottom of the breastplate aligns spot on with my lowest rib. Does it still come off as terribly proportioned? I'm aiming for something appropriate to 1410, like Mr. Frisbee there. I also fully intend to wear surcoat over my chest protection. Do you happen to have any clues on achieving the very tight fitting surcoat look of the early 15th century?

(Please forgive the house shorts, its been a rather lazy day.)

Last edited by Robert S. Haile on Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That BP fits you nearly perfectly.

This is mine as of last week:

My helm:

Shoulders:

Arms (I will modify slightly for the new shoulders):

Legs:

Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say I'm quite jealous of that kit. I really like the brass trimming on your bascinet and besegews. It has a very similar feel to my own.

Your cuirass is looking spectacular. I'm almost tempted to sell my off instead of sending it back, and paying to have a copy of yours made. Cool
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Does it still come off as terribly proportioned?

The most important is the fit, proportions depend on particular person. If it does not restrict deep breathing and does not chafe skin on the hips then it's OK. For comparison my breast plate (self-made). I am 179 cm tall and weigh 65 kg. This breast plate is a little too wide in the waist and a little bit too long, but has perfect width under the arms. Overall not very bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. Note the "lazy" fauld. While it has only 2 articulated lames it does not restrict movement. I had no problems wearing a sword belt over this cuirass.

Attachment: 55.63 KB
27.JPG

William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
I must say I'm quite jealous of that kit. I really like the brass trimming on your bascinet and besegews. It has a very similar feel to my own.

Your cuirass is looking spectacular. I'm almost tempted to sell my off instead of sending it back, and paying to have a copy of yours made. Cool

This is quite a step up for me. I've always been more of a transitional era type of guy, but once I saw Maxim working your BP, I totally changed my mind. Then of course he hadda post an image of that bascinet and it was all over. I still need a good set of hourglass gauntlets however... I have an older set of Maxim's that don't fit me 100%, I bought them sight unseen, so its my own fault...
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

This is quite a step up for me. I've always been more of a transitional era type of guy, but once I saw Maxim working your BP, I totally changed my mind. Then of course he hadda post an image of that bascinet and it was all over. I still need a good set of hourglass gauntlets however... I have an older set of Maxim's that don't fit me 100%, I bought them sight unseen, so its my own fault...

I'm working on getting some hourglass gaunlets myself. Maxim and I have already hammered out the details...just need to get the cash now...not to mention the cash for converting my breastplate into a full cuirass.

Here's a shot of my the rest of my harness (This was before I got the breastplate), so you can see what I mean about the similarity in brass trimming. Nice taste! Happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/samurai_/Walkin.jpg

I also just underwent some weapons upgrades. I have a Valiant Armoury piece coming with a blade by Angus Trim. Beautiful XVIIIb bastard sword, and I recently got around to hafting my pollaxe.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

I'm working on getting some hourglass gaunlets myself. Maxim and I have already hammered out the details...just need to get the cash now...not to mention the cash for converting my breastplate into a full cuirass.

Here's a shot of my the rest of my harness (This was before I got the breastplate), so you can see what I mean about the similarity in brass trimming. Nice taste! Happy

I also just underwent some weapons upgrades. I have a Valiant Armoury piece coming with a blade by Angus Trim. Beautiful XVIIIb bastard sword, and I recently got around to hafting my pollaxe.

Love the helm! Very well done.

I'm doing the whole sword thing too. My practice blades are the Hanwei Hand and a Half and Practical Bastard sword. My cutter (its actually my schools, not just mine) is a Albion Crecy. I decided to focus on the armour first, and when thats done get a nice XVIIa.

I've been focusing on my pollaxe training as much as possible and will be giving classes on WMA pollaxe at Pennsic 40 this summer.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

Love the helm! Very well done.

I'm doing the whole sword thing too. My practice blades are the Hanwei Hand and a Half and Practical Bastard sword. My cutter (its actually my schools, not just mine) is a Albion Crecy. I decided to focus on the armour first, and when thats done get a nice XVIIa.

I've been focusing on my pollaxe training as much as possible and will be giving classes on WMA pollaxe at Pennsic 40 this summer.

I probably should have focused more on a type XVa or XVII sword, but the XVIIIb I've got in the works wouldn't be out of question for the first quarter of the century, I don't think. It sort of falls between types and has a shorter grip that what's found on most of the late german XVIIIb's.

I would very much like to attend Pennsic sometime. I've only done rudimentary pollaxe training, but will soon be putting myself through the learning gauntlet.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

I probably should have focused more on a type XVa or XVII sword, but the XVIIIb I've got in the works wouldn't be out of question for the first quarter of the century, I don't think. It sort of falls between types and has a shorter grip that what's found on most of the late german XVIIIb's.

I would very much like to attend Pennsic sometime. I've only done rudimentary pollaxe training, but will soon be putting myself through the learning gauntlet.

Swords are very much one of those things I kinda just wander with until I find one I like... even if its not exactly period.

I'm not a huge SCA fan, but Pennisc, especially 40 gives my school a LOT of people to get in front of to pull them torwards WMA.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the cuirass under construction:

The rear has no support yet, so it looks droopy. It won't be.

Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William that cuirass looks really good. Thanks for posting as I love seeing pictures of work in process like that. tr
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom,

I will try to keep posting them as Maxim provides them for me.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 51 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: