Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a picture of my wife with her Taza rapier and "just for fun" clothes (i.e. this is not a gear that she's planning to wear anywhere), but I just liked it so much that I had to share it:

Attachment: 205.12 KB
123d.JPG

David Butchee

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my armour; 40lbs of handmade maille I made from wire I acquired at the hardware store. And a cheapy Helmet I got off ebay.

I'm not finished with the maille yet, and I plan on getting a better helm soon

Attachment: 73.61 KB
Myself3.jpg

Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Sergeant, circa 1250         Reply with quote

Since Sander asked for a picture of my kit, I had one taken today on the last day of our easter-camp on Castle Frankenstein.
I reenact a sergeant of the gatehouse, using as reference for most of the parts illuminations of the Morgan Bible and the Codex Manesse.

I am wearing maille coif and mittens, a thick gambeson, padded upper thigh armor with steel kneecaps, infantry shield, one-handed sword, an aunlaz dagger and my kettle helmet.

Thomas

Attachment: 124.34 KB
Sergeant_1250.jpg
Sergeant of the gatehouse at Castle Frankenstein.

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Matthijs van Halteren

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here 2 pictures of my Russian/Slavic gear from around 11th/12th century.
Its not complete yet, I still need to make my arm protection, not sure to use Russian Bazubands or the Byzantine like armsplints aka "Varanger".
My Russian sabre is made by Wojciech Szanek of http://www.miecz-sword.com
I am also considering the purchase of a steel lamellar armour.

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas;
Very nice kit! Do you plan to expand to mail eventually?

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Thomas R.

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Elling,

thanks for the compliment! It would be an option to go for a rivited maille hauberk, indeed. Perhaps with a separate coif, as seen on some german illuminations (I mean the ones with rectangular flaps). Furthermore I will sew a new surcotte, which will be a little bit shorter.

But since I am reenacting a relatively poor nobleman without knighthood (who serves at his knights castle), he probably won't have the monies to own such a hauberk. But he could have earned some treasure, fighting in outremer with Friedrich II. Who knows ... Happy

Best regards,
Thomas

Mark T

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who would have known that 11/12th C Russians/Slavs had such futuristic-looking modes of transportation! Happy
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
Hi Elling,

thanks for the compliment! It would be an option to go for a rivited maille hauberk, indeed. Perhaps with a separate coif, as seen on some german illuminations (I mean the ones with rectangular flaps). Furthermore I will sew a new surcotte, which will be a little bit shorter.

The mail hauberk is rather expensive, but a profesional soldier should be able to aford one if he saves up money. It would apear that the gambeson was also rather expensive, but obviously considered better value for money than just the hauberk.

The foot soldiers in Mac are sometimes more heavily armoured than the knights, wearing an aditional aceton on top of the hauberk. This is described for knights as well, but the knights in Mac are portrayed in a very standardized fashion, as opposed to the footsoldiers.
From the norwegian writen sources, it seems that it was also common to combine a gambeson with a sleeveless aceton. With such a getup, you could buy the gambeson first, then aceton, then mail, and maybe a coat of plates for good measure (though with some 30 layers of gambeson and mail, you would hardly need it unless you where planing to take a lance to the chest.)

The surcote does appear a bit long, but is otherwise nice. Maybe you could fit it with sleeves and use it as a gardecorps? Many of the period illustrations show surcotes around knee length, but just below the knee is most aesteticaly pleasing in my experinece. A short surcote makes you look like a top heavy blob with tiny legs.:P

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Lael Jones

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My kit         Reply with quote

Christoffer Lorang Dahl wrote:
Here I am in parts of my kit.

Holy Carpp Eek! that is one bad a$$ kit.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My kit         Reply with quote

Lael Jones wrote:

Holy Carpp Eek! that is one bad a$$ kit.

Especially the heart on the groin plate. A long time favorite target Wink

Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My kit         Reply with quote

Eek! Part? PART!? That's better gear then some people can even get half of! Laughing Out Loud

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A goofy picture of me, in most of my soft kit:

Yes, that is my VERY dirty gambeson...

And a picture of me teaching Longsword to some children. They got to stab me after the lesson...

I'm not wearing my arms as I still have yet to cut down my haubergeon...

J. E. Hyväri

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Butchee wrote:
Here's my armour; 40lbs of handmade maille I made from wire I acquired at the hardware store. And a cheapy Helmet I got off ebay.

I'm not finished with the maille yet, and I plan on getting a better helm soon

The helm looks quite good for its type in the picture. Many of the reproductions of this type of helmet have rather wide open eye slits, while yours have moderate. The pictures in Codex Manesse the eyes of these helms are drawn quite open, but I would be inclined to think they must have been of the more narrow type such as yours. Maybe there is someone here who can say, if there are actual surviving examples of this type of helmet. What kind of helm are you planning to buy?

In case this is not familiar to you allready, there are some quite nice examples of complete suite of maille armour and clothes of the same era here:
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg84...c3c828db3f

Is there a shield hanging on your shoulder strap at your back?

Maybe a surcotte, like Thomas R is wearing whith his nice kit, would complement your armour, when the maille sleeves (possibly ending in mittens) and chausses are finished.

What materials are you people using for your surcottes? Linen and hemp would not be as hot as wool, but they do not keep colour well (especially when they were dyed whith plants). Many surcottes of the nobles did displayed their coat of arms or at least their heraldic colours. So I would gues they only used wool in the medieval times. I suppose heat produced by one more layer of wool is not a particular issue, if you are allready wearing layers of gambeson and possibly even a coat-of-plates on top of your hauberk.

"Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark
Thomas R.

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi J.E.,
in fact my surcotte is made of linen, because I didn't know better, when I had it sewn back in the days I started the hobby. The next one will be made of wool. In summer & sunshine such a surcotte cools more than it heats up, especially if you are wearing maille (which heats up rather fast without a decent covering). If you are wearing a gambeson it's just one more layer - on the inside you are nevertheless already sweaty and wet as a poodle in hard rain. Happy

Best regards,
Thomas

Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: My early 15th century soft kit is finally finished!         Reply with quote

Finally (it took more than a year) my soft kit for early 15th century english squire is finished - everythign is hand sewn and made of natural materials of course. I used a picture from the Book of Hours as inspiration for this kit, only item which is missing on the images is cloak. Hood is based in the finds from London.

Attachment: 229.14 KB
P1130358.JPG

Attachment: 224.79 KB
P1130364.JPG

Attachment: 237.61 KB
P1130372.JPG

J. E. Hyväri

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:

If you are wearing a gambeson it's just one more layer - on the inside you are nevertheless already sweaty and wet as a poodle in hard rain. Happy

Yes, you must be right. When people see me in my armour at events, they typically ask, if it is heavy. It is nice that people are concerned, but as you know, it is not the weight, but the heat. Razz My own coat of plates is made from wool, but I have considerd making a surcotte on top of it. Though because of our group inclination to the turn of the 14th to 15th century, I'll propably make short and rather open model of it. A sort of "fat suit" often depicted on Bertrand du Guesclin and his contemporaries. Though before I start, I have to find out wether or not this was seen fashionable in the Baltic area.

http://duguesclin.free.fr/guerre_de_cent_ans/...rtrait.gif

Hey Artis, that is an absolutely superb soft kit!

"Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom,

Don't make it of wool. I have seen 0 evidence this was ever done.

Actually linen seems to have been used very often. It may actually be the more common material for the average coat with arms on it. In the Hustings Rolls of London Linen comes up very often for these types of surcoats, banners and other things of that nature. Do not forget linen can hold color as well as wool but it simply requires more work (in some cases much more work), which when you are in the top 10-15% of society is alright.

This is from the London Court Records-

Court of Common Pleas, CP 40/806, rot. 309d
Term: Michaelmas 1462
County: London
Writ type: Debt (other)
Damages claimed: 100s
Case type: Contract (general)

Pleading: John Crosse states that on 10 July 1460, in London, Walter Langley retained him to paint and dye 125 yards of linen cloth, and to paint and dye various designs ('operibus') within this cloth, as well as to paint and dye a pair of altarcloths and a coat of armour with the arms of WL, and to decorate a 'pynyon' with his arms, for which he was to take £4 17d. He duly did this work, for which he was owed this £4 17d, but WL has only paid him 40s 17d, and not the remaining 40s, to his damage of 100s.

Pleading: WL granted licence to imparl to the morrow of the Purification. Pledges named for defendant.

Clearly this is without doubt showing linen was used in multiple functions but also likely dyed and painted in many different colors and modes.

J.E.,

If you are accustomed to wearing the gambeson under your armour you will be fine. At several events all I wore was my gambeson and armour and it was nearly a full week event. Just drink plenty of water and make sure you are used to wearing them for long periods of time. I am actually conditioning myself to get used to it again recently as it has been several years that I wore it more than 2-3 hours at a go.

You see that type of coat in a great deal of MS but I could not say if it were common for the Baltic region.

RPM
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: I present you... my new kit...         Reply with quote

Please note, this isn't me in the photos, but my armourer.

I'm quite a bit shorter and have larger arms, shoulders and chest...

But you get the picture...

Its still worn with a haubergeon, and there is a mail coif/aventail that is worn under the helm which will show past the extended portions of the grand bascient.

Thomas R.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Artis,

your kit looks great. Do you have a link to the picture from the book of hours you based it upon? I especially like the robin-hood-like hat. How do you made it? Perhaps you can send me a pm to not spoil this thread too much Happy.

Best wishes,
Thomas

David Butchee

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice J. E., I'm trying to go for a late 1100's look, around the third crusade so I was thinking a early
a helmet like in the movie Kingdom of Heaven; (A cool 360 view of the helm) [url] http://www.reliks.com/includes/rotate.ihtml?p...reliks.com [/url] There's not that many replicas for sale of the really early great helms that just had a face plate.

And yes that is a shield hanging on my back, I made that too.

I do plan on making a sucoat but I'm indecisive on what to make out of, I've heard that Hospitallers made their's out of wool but Randell is challenging that theroy?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 52 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: