Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Article on Albion Site Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Great article but a question?         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
(I had a similar experience when documenting a very famous sword in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum in Münich. It has been published many times in books on the history of the european sword. In Laking "European Armour and Arms" it is shown with the top of its scabbard visible. Intrigued, I went to handle and document this sword, knowing it to be a rare thing for an sword still to be preserved with its original scabbard. When I asked about it, I was met by confsion: there is no scabbard with this sword! After some thinking and discussion, an old record of the items of the museum´s collections was referred to: and there it was, listed besde the sword! Probably the scabbard was separated as part of some restoration/conservation project years ago and not returned back to the exhibit. Scabbard and sword must be conservated by different processes, so it is only natural to send them to different departments and so they got separated.)

Hey Peter, I dug up this old photo of the Bayerisches sword. I thought you might enjoy seeing it. I'm certain we're all thrilled that you were able to facilitate the sword and scabbard being reunited. It's certainly one of my favorite swords, all things considered.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan!

Thank you so much for posting this!
I am waiting for phtots directly from the museum, but this is the best I´ve seen so far.

Not really what I expected, actually.
I may have to rethink some aspects.
Hmm.

Thanks again!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some reason the link to the article doesn't work on my Mac ? (URL not found on this server error message !) And when I go to the Albion site I can't find the new article.

Maybe I am not looking at the right place, but it doesn't seem to be in the list of articles. Since I check out the Albion site almost daily I should have no difficulty finding it.

From the comments, so far, it sounds interesting.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread was started on October 26th 2003, so the url is probably outdated.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The articles are available from the Albion site.
Here are links:

http://albion-swords.com/swords-recreated.htm

http://albion-swords.com/swords-components.htm

http://albion-swords.com/swords-functional.htm

To reach them on the site, click the notes in the head picture topmost on the page.
If you have not read these before, do so when you have time, as they cover many aspects that are often discussed on this forum.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, thanks for taking the time to direct me to the right place on the Albion site.

OOOOPS ! I see were I got confused: I didn"t notice the date of the first post at the top was in 2003 ! So I have read these before and I was trying to find a "NEW" article that doesn't exist ......... LOL.

Just to show that these articles are so good I got all excited looking forward to a new one!

I do notice that there are another 4 or 5 articles "grayed out" on the Albion site that have been promised for quite a while and I was hoping it was one of them. "Hint Hint to Albion ......... should be good read when they become available.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I do notice that there are another 4 or 5 articles "grayed out" on the Albion site that have been promised for quite a while and I was hoping it was one of them. "Hint Hint to Albion ......... should be good read when they become available.

Actually, they did just post the one on steels in the last couple of days. I was really looking forward to that one (not surprising coming from a hobby blacksmith), but the others promise to be really good as well, I think.

I second the "Hint Hint" part, guys.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Sun 23 Jan, 2005 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jesse Smithers

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glossary of Sword Terms isn't working.

As for the article, very good, nice pics. But, I would swear I read almost all of it before. Even though the article just came out. Question
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Glossary of Sword terms link does not work on the main page, but it does work on the other pages. If, for example, you go to the First Gen page (it might be on other pages as well, but I know it is there), there is a link for the glossary at the bottom. That one works just fine. If I remember correctly, the one on the main page is missing a "/swords" from the middle of the URL, or something along those lines.

As to your other comment, if you are refering to the steel article, I suppose most of that information is available elsewhere, and there is another page at Albion (it might actually be the glossary) that has a definition of high-alloy steel, at least. So, yes, you might have seen some of it elsewhere, but personally, I like having it there with the other articles. If you mean the article "Recreations not Originals," that is because you probably have read it before. This is an old post form 2003 that got dredge back up. Sorry if I/we inspired confusion.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jesse Smithers

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Greyson. I was able to check out sword terms. Read that before too Wink And to quote Homer Simpson, "D'oh!!" Posted: October 26th 2003, 2:42 am No wonder I have read it before. I will now send myself to my room. It's not punishment, that's where all the swords are Big Grin
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are that link for sword terms. Happy
http://albion-swords.com/swords/sword-terms.htm

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Article on Albion Site
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: