Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > need help visualising a 1470s samurai armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William P

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: need help visualising a 1470s samurai armour         Reply with quote

I'm seekeing help to find a example of a 1470s samurai armour, especially one worn by a reenactor to stand side by side with a knight in italian plate armour to see how these warriors were equipped at the same time as each other.

that also includes weapons...

while i reject the old internet flamewar of samurai vs knight as a actual competition, one element ive always found jarring is that the warriors/ armies of the japanese when compared to the knight, are ofte the sengoku period armies against armies of medieval knight in the 15th century

so while i can easily find an example of a italian knight from the 1470s in milanese plate, with armet, lance, and arming sword/ longsword...

its hard to find a example of the most up to date armour a samurai could have had during the onin war in the 1470s

if ANYONE knows of reenactors, or a good suit in a museum.. that'd be amazing

(i have read bits of the article on samurai armour here but its hard to collate various seperate armour pieces into a suit)
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try the Kyoto Costume Museum and Tony Bryant's site. Tony also published an Osprey exactly on this (but as usual beware the artist's interpretations! Bryant said before his death that McBride misunderstood the instructions and showed one figure with his armour on backwards instead of showing the figure from the back) https://ospreypublishing.com/uk/early-samurai-ad-2001500-9781855321311/
www.bookandsword.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > need help visualising a 1470s samurai armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic