Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > chevalier d'auvergne swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. C. Jones

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: chevalier d'auvergne swords         Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with this company? I am thinking about ordering their French smallsword. The pictures look great. The website is http://www.chevalierdauvergne.com/

Merci mille fois!

T. C. Jones
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am tempted to say I am familiar with their products, but reserve the right to be wrong... Happy

Insert caviat via Storytelling:

American Fencers Supply out of San Francisco was for a long time *the* primary supplier of swords for Theatrical Sword Combat.

They operate in a "Pick hilt, blade, and pommel" manner, and one of their blades was something referred to as the "offset canleure". This was the ideal blade for us Renaissance Faire folk, in that the blade, at about 1" wide and ~36" long was perfect for stage combat routines, having the expected dimensions of a Rapier when you are in close with the audience.

Granted, this blade profile was a actually a failed attempt by Napolean to come up with a straight, narrow and stiff cut and thrust blade for Cavalry, it still has the look of the earlier Rapiers (1560-1600), and was a workhorse. With an appleseed profile, not exactly sharp, and a good metallurgist developing the Alloy/Temper/Hardening, these swords could withstand years of edge-to-edge abuse, and have only mild deformations along the edge. I think I've filed off the dings twice in 13 years.

It's a very unique blade profile, with the fuller offset on the opposing sides (think an "S" shape):

/\
((
| |
))
\/

As near as I can tell, the "Double-groove épée" they feature is the same "Offset Canleure" of the days of yore. AFS has ceased stocking these blades, but knowing that AFS is primarily a Competetive fencing house that deals with all manner of World Class fencing gear, that the majority of their blades are the higher end French and Italian manufacturers, and lastly, the unique profile of these blades has not been seen anywhere else, I'm tempted to say it *is* this Company.

With that said, I love my blade, and can recommend their work heartily.
Happy

Matthew

P.S. I'll see if I can reach the owner of AFS, and get him to confirm or deny my suspicions... Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew, American Fencers Supply is currently about 400 feet from my front door Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew Kelty

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tell you what, next Thursday let's go kidnap Mr. Porter, take him next door to 1984, pour Gin on the floor, and threaten him with an endless loop of "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go" until he gets their swept hilt profiles slimmer, and the Offset Canleure back into Inventory... Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Kelty wrote:
Tell you what, next Thursday let's go kidnap Mr. Porter, take him next door to 1984, pour Gin on the floor, and threaten him with an endless loop of "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go" until he gets their swept hilt profiles slimmer, and the Offset Canleure back into Inventory... Happy

Sure. I'm down.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew Kelty

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, for fairly inexpensive, and usually durable historically designed weapons:

http://www.amfence.com/html/armoury.html

Their focus, as I said, is stage combat. These are *NOT* hallmark pieces, these are functional tools, and are safe for most sparring.

Their Smallswords will be lighter than the Paul Chens, will withstand years of abuse, and meet the 5 foot rule for accuracy. The manganese Brass hilts *will* break if you drop them from 4' onto Concrete, and will be useless for cutting/puncture tests, but at $80-$200, will meet most needs for appearance and stage combat.
Matthew Kelty

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back on topic, I got some answers from Matt.

Simple answer: Chevalier D'Auvergne is a new business using an Old Business' tools, and run by a parent company that has been making blades for 100+ years.

The full story (paraphrased):
I couldn't keep track of all the French names, but in a nutshell, the line of blades Chevalier are advertising have been produced for a very long time. The previous company started cutting corners, and the Government finally pulled their (approval, patent, letters of Mark, what-not), the company eventually went bankrupt, and their assets were sold.

Another long time sword maker bought their forge and production facilities, and started up the Chevalier company selling the same blades as before, theoretically to the same standards as before.

So, the blade I know is technically the same as what they advertise, although this particular "version" hasn't been in the market long enough to establish any kind of professional recommendation. Their parent company is known for their quality, their tools are the same as what was once used, so the only question is whether their materials and processes are the same or not, and only time will tell.

With that being said, I'd say it 's safe to say Chevalier has all the right reasons to supply a quality product, and given the history, you're probably not going to be disappointed.

Hope that helps,
Matthew

P.S. Matt has dealt with the parent company for 30 years, and has been very pleased. Considering he equips the U.S. Olympic fencing team, among many others, his opinion is good in my book... Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > chevalier d'auvergne swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic