Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about upcoming Albion Next Gen "Bayeux" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Question about upcoming Albion Next Gen "Bayeux"         Reply with quote

The concept drawing for this looks very similar to the Peter Johnsson custom Type X sword reviewed here on myArmoury. I'm curious if this will be a reproduction of that blade and whether anyone knows when it is expected to be released? The Albion site currently lists a "Fall 2005" date.

This is the review I'm speaking of: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_pj_bj.html

Thanks!
-Ryan
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Question about upcoming Albion Next Gen "Bayeux&         Reply with quote

Ryan C. wrote:
The concept drawing for this looks very similar to the Peter Johnsson custom Type X sword reviewed here on myArmoury. I'm curious if this will be a reproduction of that blade and whether anyone knows when it is expected to be released? The Albion site currently lists a "Fall 2005" date.

This is the review I'm speaking of: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_pj_bj.html

Thanks!
-Ryan

The Bayeaux and the Reve both share the same blade. In outline this blade is very similar to the Geibig 3 of the vikings. It is a bit more subtle in outline and has a different fuller and distal taper solution. It is also thinner. This makes for a blade that will be lighter and more ready in the hand.

In character it is actually quite different from the big type X that Patrick owns. That one is bigger, not so much in size, but in feel.

The type X I designed for the reeve and the bayeux (+ maybe some other future models) was based on the need for some more lightweight & nimble type X swords to compliment the other early/high medieval swords in the line. Most of the first ones were made to mirror the more powerful examples of their type.

The Thegn is a shortened version of the same blade. The Thegn will be very light and handy.

I am to start working on the waxes for the type X blade after I´ve finished the Thegn (with some reservation depending on the interest in other swords in waiting for production)
A guess is that the Reeve and the Bayeaux will be available in mid autumn/early winter.

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Thu 21 Jul, 2005 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great info Mr. Johnsson! I'll be purchasing a Bayeaux myself before the NG sale is over -- it's at the top of my list. Really looking forward to comparing this model with my other single-handers--Knight, Templar, Gaddhjalt and Sovreign.

Brian M
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I'll be purchasing a Bayeaux myself before the NG sale is over -- it's at the top of my list.

Brian,
Not to rain on your parade, but the Bayeux wouldn't be subject to the sale which is only for the "28 models currently in production." The Bayeux isn't in production yet.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter:

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm curious, is the pommel type on your custom Type X the same as the pommel planned for the Bayeaux?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan C. wrote:
Peter:

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm curious, is the pommel type on your custom Type X the same as the pommel planned for the Bayeaux?

The pommel on the Bayeaux is of another type (and the Hospitaller for that matter: the hilts of these are going to be similar in shape and type, but different in size and proportions). It is of the same type as the pommel on the Norman, but shaped a bit diferent.
If you look at my concept drawing I have not marked a central ring to denote a raised flat face. I always do that to mark wheel pommels with beveled edges. In those cases the bevel is concave I try to mark that with the shading.
These pommels I drew to look like they had domed faces. It might not come across that clearly?
Oakeshott names this sort of pommel type G. These can have flat faces or slightly domed faces. The pommels on the Bayeaux and the Hospitaller are going to be like lenses with very thick rims.
(That is what I have in mind at the moment anyway. When I start carving in earnest I might find something slightly different is called for. In any case these hilts are going to be simpe in shape as that goes with the type.)
The type G pommels are one of those very simple types that can be very beautiful in an austere sort of way.
The riveting of the tang is going to be flush with the top of the pommel.
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I happen to think that the Norman is one of the best-looking NG models. The disc pommel and downcurved guard is striking in its simplicity.
Mr. Johnsson, for the Bayeaux/Reeve, can you describe your intention for the guard? Is it to be a rectangular bar without taper? A bar with a constant taper to the ends, like the Gaddhjalt? Or perhaps a straight bar that only swells outward around the blade?
I own the Gaddhjalt and I particularly like the guard, but of course I cannot say what is historical on a Type-X like the Bayeaux.

Regards,
Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I happen to think that the Norman is one of the best-looking NG models. The disc pommel and downcurved guard is striking in its simplicity.
Mr. Johnsson, for the Bayeaux/Reeve, can you describe your intention for the guard? Is it to be a rectangular bar without taper? A bar with a constant taper to the ends, like the Gaddhjalt? Or perhaps a straight bar that only swells outward around the blade?
I own the Gaddhjalt and I particularly like the guard, but of course I cannot say what is historical on a Type-X like the Bayeaux.

Regards,
Brian M

The guard...

The guard on both the Hospitaller and the Bayeaux will be straighter than the guard of the Gaddhjalt.
At this time (before actually having started working on any of the original pieces) I visualize the guard for the Hospitaller having a very sublte hint at swelling towards the end. So little it is almost unnoticeable. The guard will grow thicker towards the middle.

The bayeaux: It will be a pretty slim guard. The Guard of the Gaddhjalt has concave surfaces to the front. The Bayeaux will be more square/rectangular in section, ubt perhaps with a hint of convexity. It will in any case not just simply be a straight bar of steel though, even if the "Sculpting" will be very subtle. These guards are often described and "straight bars of steel" although there is more to them than that: you can see that they have been forged to shape and that is a nice character in their shape. I want to stay true to that effect.
The Bayeaux guard will most probably taper a bit towards the ends without swellings. In that regard it is going to be closer to the Gaddhjalt, but not as severe tapers as on that one.

Hope that helps.

And, I need to ut in a caution here: as I have not carved any of these yet, I might change some aspects. What I have in mind is a hilt that is going to be subtle in the shape but with interesting play between the volume of the parts.
That is my intention anyway...

Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
The pommel on the Bayeaux is of another type (and the Hospitaller for that matter: the hilts of these are going to be similar in shape and type, but different in size and proportions). It is of the same type as the pommel on the Norman, but shaped a bit diferent.
If you look at my concept drawing I have not marked a central ring to denote a raised flat face. I always do that to mark wheel pommels with beveled edges. In those cases the bevel is concave I try to mark that with the shading.
These pommels I drew to look like they had domed faces.

Peter Johnsson wrote:
The guard...

The guard on both the Hospitaller and the Bayeaux will be straighter than the guard of the Gaddhjalt....

... The bayeaux: It will be a pretty slim guard. The Guard of the Gaddhjalt has concave surfaces to the front. The Bayeaux will be more square/rectangular in section, ubt perhaps with a hint of convexity. It will in any case not just simply be a straight bar of steel though, even if the "Sculpting" will be very subtle. These guards are often described and "straight bars of steel" although there is more to them than that: you can see that they have been forged to shape and that is a nice character in their shape. I want to stay true to that effect...

... And, I need to ut in a caution here: as I have not carved any of these yet, I might change some aspects. What I have in mind is a hilt that is going to be subtle in the shape but with interesting play between the volume of the parts.
That is my intention anyway...

Peter, I'm really looking forward to seeing these subtle (and not so subtle) differences. We can get an idea from the concept drawings, and from the site pics, but some of these differences just have to be seen up close and in person. I'm quite fascinated by the variences in, say, disc and wheel pommels. The Squire's is so different from the Knight's. The Norman's is way different from the Templar's. All 4 of these have striking differences when examined side-by-side, whereas from a quick glance at drawings, differences can be noted, but not truly understood.

Thanks for taking the time to post such good and educational information. It helps me/us understand these pieces and their intricacies a lot better - the concept and design, as well. True pieces of art and engineering - so, so much more than a sharpened bar. Much appriciated!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Johnsson, that was very helpful.

Brian M

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about upcoming Albion Next Gen "Bayeux"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic