Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First impressions of a newby... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: First impressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Like I sed on the market place forum, I just received my Albion La Tene II sword.

The first impresion when I holded the package that contained my sword, is that is was light.
Nothing like the "cheaper" swords I both before.
And when I unwrapped it, the blade appeared very thin. Wich is something that photographers can't capture in a image.
Or is hard to notice from a regular museum visitors point of view.. especially when the sword is partly rusted away.

I can imagine that the people of the ancients and the later periods had a sort of respect and awe for the sword makers of there time, who managed to create something so relative light and strong but yet so deadly and relyable.

I red somewhere that a sword is nothing more then just a tool to kill people.
Bud hey, for me it's also a bit of magic two.. Wink

With this topic i would like to encourage other people to write down there newby experiences also...

Folkert

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a sword were just a tool then why over the millenia have we gone to such great lengths for embelishments on them? every culture has...a tool doesnt become the personification of ones soul (ie. the japanese bushi).

but congrats on the new sword, I know how that feels getting a great blade...although I must admit I havnt in a LONG time.

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Like I sed on the market place forum, I just received my Albion La Tene II sword.

The first impresion when I holded the package that contained my sword, is that is was light.
Nothing like the "cheaper" swords I both before.
And when I unwrapped it, the blade appeared very thin. Wich is something that photographers can't capture in a image.
Or is hard to notice from a regular museum visitors point of view.. especially when the sword is partly rusted away.

I can imagine that the people of the ancients and the later periods had a sort of respect and awe for the sword makers of there time, who managed to create something so relative light and strong but yet so deadly and relyable.

With this topic i would like to encourage other people to write down there newby experiences also...

Folkert

It is interesting to note how two different people can have different impressions of the same piece. I also recently purchased an Albion LaTene II on the Marketplace. I took a long time to consider the purchase before I finally made the decision. While I found the hilt shapes to be very attractive, the blade appeared to me to be rather thin and dainty in the photos that I had seen. When I finally made the purchase and received my sword, I was surprised to see that the blade is much more substantial than I had expected! In person, I also see subtleties in the shapes of both the hilt and blade that were not obvious in the photos.

I would like to echo another point made, in that it seems clear to me that this sword (and many other finely made replicas, as well) are much more than weapons. They are examples of the craftman's art. Also, even though this piece is only a replica, when I look at it or handle it, I still feel a connection to those ancestors from long ago. I think the enabling of that connection to the past is what attracts me to this hobby more than anything else.
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm glad you like the sword Folkert, I hope you didn't hurt yourself trying to unwrap the cocoon i put the sword in.

you will notice the blade "seems" thin. but the diamond cross section is very strong and makes the blade quite stiff. handling a higher quality reproduction can really open eyes as to what is a quote "wallhanger" or "basher" to that of a serviceable weapon closer to what possibly the ancients used.

i have yet to experience truly custom swords, i imagine that's a totally new plane of existance!

Try not to take yourself too seriously.
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:

I agree, there is magic in swords.

I’m also a newby. I can’t write or speak as eloquently about swords as the rest of you, yet. My comments about swords are usually monosyllabic, “ooooh”, or “aaah” and the occasional “oh my!” Still, I’m going to make an attempt to write about my impressions. Let’s see...

First a question. How many swords does it take to call it a collection? I only have 2 with a third on the way.

My first sword is basically a wall hanger because it is a family heirloom. It is a U.S. Navy Officer’s sword from the early 20th century. My first impression of it was that I had never owned something so beautiful. I’m sure it’s not to everyone’s taste on this forum, but it was my first and they say you never forget your first one. Wink You can view it here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2333&highlight=

The other sword is my new 15th Century Bastard Sword from the Albion Squire Line, http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...astard.htm I’m having such fun practicing with it! I can’t get over how well it handles. It’s certainly much easier to handle than my wooden wasters or my “failing grade shop project” shinai. Borrowing a phrase from a badly written romance novel, “I never knew it could be like this!”

My sword on the way is an AT1592, a Danish two-hander. http://allsaintsblades.com/AT1592.htm My impression of this one? Freud may be right, it’s extremely sexy.

And I appreciate this site as a place to hang out. I’ve found this hobby a little difficult to discuss this with the other playground moms. Confused Though my two sons and their friends think it is a very cool hobby. To quote one of my teenager’s friends, “Mrs. Muir you’re awesome!” Oops, never mind, that was from when I served Buffalo wings to their band. LOL Laughing Out Loud

--Pamela
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:

And I appreciate this site as a place to hang out. I’ve found this hobby a little difficult to discuss this with the other playground moms. Confused Though my two sons and their friends think it is a very cool hobby. To quote one of my teenager’s friends, “Mrs. Muir you’re awesome!” Oops, never mind, that was from when I served Buffalo wings to their band. LOL Laughing Out Loud

--Pamela

Well, Pamela, you have to admit, this hobby doesn't really fit the "mom" stereotype. Probably helps break the ice on some occasions with those surly teenagers.

In my case, though, where you would think the "dad' stereotype would fit at least a little better, my teenage sons just roll their eyes when a new sword shows up. Confused
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

[quote="Pamela Muir"]
Folkert van Wijk wrote:

My sword on the way is an AT1592, a Danish two-hander. http://allsaintsblades.com/AT1592.htm My impression of this one? Freud may be right, it’s extremely sexy.

--Pamela

Pamela ,
That Danish 2-hander is also on my list otf to-do's , IT's big, light and sexy Laughing Out Loud When you get yours, le tme know how it feels. I thinkwe need mroe women in this hobby, especially those like you Pam. who are not afriad to say you enjoy it!

Joel
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve and Joel,

In the immortal words of Bartles and James, "Thank you for your support!" Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:

That Danish 2-hander is also on my list otf to-do's , IT's big, light and sexy Laughing Out Loud When you get yours, le tme know how it feels.

Hi Joel,

After a long and agonizing wait, the AT1592 is finally in my hands. The sword is absolutely stunning. I'll try to describe how it feels, but I'm afraid I've gone from monosyllabic to incoherent babbling. It's that beautiful. (And of course, I'm completely objective, Wink even if it is my first sharp.) As soon as I got it home, I took it outside to play. The sword performed beautifully and gracefully as we brought down several imaginary opponents with some master strikes. (Notice it was the sword that was graceful, I resemble a giraffe on roller skates. Laughing Out Loud ) It is so light and well balanced that I was able to handle it using a single hand as well. I wouldn't want to do so for long, but I would be able to remove one hand from the hilt for techniques that require a free hand. I'm looking forward to cutting with it, though my husband made me promise not to try it when no one was home. He says it's for my safety, but I think it's because he wants to play too. Cool
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: YAY Pam         Reply with quote

Alright Pamela! That's one big sword too. Don't get too outdone when cutting with that sword at first. Many people slice through multiple bottles of water and such, but this is a BIG blade Pamela, so you will some practice with it. I am not sure how rigid the blade is, but from what I have found with my big blades, is that correct hand position and blade angle during the cut seems to be more imperative then with say a Type XIIa. So practice a lot and should become very good with it. Pool noodles should be a good way to improve your technique adn they are relatively in expensive. Have the hubby make you a simple cutting stand. If you collect old newspapers, save them and you can make a sort of tatami with the old news papers soaked in water. If you do try water-filled plastic bottles, don't be surprised if you hit a few long flies with them until your technique improves. And hey, Pam, send us a pic of you and the new sword. HEHE the kids should really be worried now!!!

Joel
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
(Notice it was the sword that was graceful, I resemble a giraffe on roller skates. Laughing Out Loud )

You're putting yourself down too much! Folks, Pamela has picked up the Liechtenauer longsword techniques quite nicely. And while the sword is gigantic, it somehow seems to fit her nicely.

Joel, the AT1592's blade isn't that rigid... it's a thin precision slicer, and as such there is definately some "flop" to it, something characteristic of most blades this size. I actually found, though, that this one, due to the leverage, is easier to cut with than a lot of smaller blades against soft targets.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:

... but I would be able to remove one hand....

Oh, my, Pamela. I was a little behind in my reading, and when I scanned through this thread, your words above caught my eye and gave me a start. Eek! Took me a minute to notice the "...from the hilt..." I just watched "Shaun of the Dead" on video the other day, so I am probably predisposed to visualize missing appendages.
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: First inpressions of a newby...         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Folks, Pamela has picked up the Liechtenauer longsword techniques quite nicely.

Thanks to very patient and excellent teaching from my instructor. Happy

Joel,
Thanks for the cutting advice!

Steve,
That's just what my husband is afraid of!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's always interesting how whenever you take your new sword out of the box and you see it in person for the first time (after weeks or months of staring at web pics of it) it seems like an entirely different sword. A photo can only reveal so much; the best perspective is holding it in your hand. But then again, the reverse is also true sometimes. Don't you think? Have any of you guys ever ordered a sword from a catalog that looked cool, and when it actually came you were disappointed to some degree? I've returned swords because of that (mainly because the quality wasn't as good as I hoped or the balance was subpar). That certainly isn't true with Albion swords or Arms & Armor, though. Their swords are only truly appreciated if your actually holding one. Happy

Just my 2cents worth. By the way, I too own an Albion Celtic LaTene II sword.-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Armour Class 16 century hand and a half.         Reply with quote

Nearly a week ago I reseved my Armour Class 16 century hand and a half. Big Grin Big Grin
http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/17Century_2.htm

It's a blund because I wanted it for practising purposes, finaly it's maybe a bit heavy (1,8 Kilo on my kitchen scale), but, like I have bin told, the ballance indeed feels good when moving it around. And that is good for practising, but I can imagen that it wouldn't be that much of a cutter, if it would have bin sharp. (anyone who ownes a sharp one?)

The point control on the other hand feels good, but up to now I haven'd don to much practising to find that out.
I have to get used to the hand guards especialy with moves like the "zwerkhow" If you know what I mean... But allready it starts to feel more familiar.

When I wield it with one hand I like to put my forefinger around the grossguard besides the ricaso and then it feels pretty secure in one hand and like that, it gifes extra control.

At first after unwrapping, the blade apeared ferry slim/small (not wide) and overall it looked more delicate than I had figured.The pictures on the Armour Class website definatly do the sword no justice there for I recomend the pictures on Nathan Robinson's Collection page.

The grip for example looks on the Armour Class website not as well done as it is on the real thing.
Alltough not with the midring like on Nathans pictures. But indeed as tide, and the color is a reddis brown.

All in all I am quite happy with it. Big Grin

Helen Miller

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Bill Grandy wrote:
Folks, Pamela has picked up the Liechtenauer longsword techniques quite nicely.

Pam Muir wrote:
Thanks to very patient and excellent teaching from my instructor.

Yeah coach sure has a lot of patience admist all his giggling Wink

Quote:

Pamela ,
That Danish 2-hander is also on my list otf to-do's , IT's big, light and sexy When you get yours, le tme
know how it feels. I thinkwe need mroe women in this hobby, especially those like you Pam. who
are not afriad to say you enjoy it!
Joel

Yep! Thank God I am one of them Wink a bad one I might add! Pam may claim she looks like a giraffe BUT
I on the other hand look like the saggy baggy elephant with four left feet!!!!

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Armour Class 16 century hand and a half.         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Nearly a week ago I reseved my Armour Class 16 century hand and a half. Big Grin Big Grin .

All in all I am quite happy with it. Big Grin

Hi Folkert,

Congratulations on your new sword! Is it still thrilling to receive a new sword? (Silly question, wasn't it? Happy )

Hi Helen,

Quote:
Pamela may claim she looks like a giraffe BUT
I on the other hand look like the saggy baggy elephant with four left feet!!!!

We'll make a great pair! Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ROTFL! Yep, we sure do!
-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Armour Class 16 century hand and a half.         Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Folkert,

Congratulations on your new sword! Is it still thrilling to receive a new sword? (Silly question, wasn't it? Happy )

Yes Pamela it's still exiting to reseve something new!! Big Grin
Allthough I think a sharp sword containes a more thrilling factor then a blund, still the fact that you order something you have only seen pictures from makes it exiting.

Folkert

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: My "fairy tale" collection...         Reply with quote

I apologize for the blurry photo and the silliness... Razz

Right to left: Papa Bear, Mama Bear, Baby Bear and Goldilocks.

Attachment: 80.96 KB
ftcollection3.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First impressions of a newby...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic