Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello and First Sword Questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Marciano

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Hello and First Sword Questions         Reply with quote

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm John and am interested in purchasing a 'real' sword. First off, this is a great site for anyone who is completely clueless as to what to buy. The only 'sword' I've ever owned is a completely phoney-baloney Japanese katana / wakazashi set that my brother bought me for Christmas one year.

Some questions: What's a good sword based on the following criteria: Sharp, can swing and cut, well-made and well balanced. After doing some research of my own, the Albion Next-Gen "Crecy" seems like a really good deal. It looks cool, and from what I've read, Albion is one of the best. The Crecy seems really good based on on-line reviews and pics.

However, it seems like Albion's swords don't ship w/ scabbards and their least expensive scabbard is like $225 or so. Would it be wise to purchase it w/out a scabbard? Can one keep it oiled and clean w/out a scabbard? Are there other options (sword-wise) that I'm unaware of that would be similar to the Crecy?

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice; I can't access this site from work, so I can't respond until this evening. Thanks again.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,

I have an Albion Next Gen Crecy, but I haven't gotten to handle it yet (I'm in the Army, and they won't let me have it in my barracks room). I'll let you know more when I visit it over Christmas. That said, I can tell you some of the things that inspired me to get it.

First off, Albion enjoys a very good reputation, as can be seen from this sight and others. Also, even though there are quite a few sword that are of similar shape and size to the Crecy, it struck me as being better executed, and more accurate than most of the others. That said, it does lack (to the best of my knowledge) the hexagonal cross-section that Oakeshott uses to help define the type, but I consider that a small plus. Besides, there are historical examples with blades almost exactly like Albion's.

I like swords that can be used to cut and thrust, one or two handed. Basically, I want the sword that is (in my opinion) the best all-round sword. I feel that I could own the Crecy and not need another (of course, I now own 5 Albion's in addition to my MRL/Windlass' and others). It also has the nice benefit of being a type that belongs to the 14th century; the time period in which I am most interested.

Lastly, the Crecy is very well priced. Last time I checked, it was the most affordable Albion Next Gen sword.

As far as a scabbard goes, they are not all that necessary. Most people/places will recomend that you not store your swords in the scabbard. Also, most of us have or can easily learn a little skill with wood and leather. Working with metal isn't something that you can really do at the kitchen table. So, if you decide you really need one, there is always the option of making your own scabbard. That gives you something that is both unique, and you can take some personal pride in.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like you are interested in European medieval-type swords.
Albion makes wonderful swords, from both functional and aesthetic points of view.
Do you just want a good sword, or do you want to nail it down to a particular period?
Do you want to cut with the sword, work out with the sword, or just mainly admire it for its workmanship?

There are lots of excellent swords out there, and tons of crap.
If you buy from a reputable maker like Albion or Arms and Armor, at least you won't be getting crap. :-)

Keep in mind that the Crecy is a big sword (not heavy, just big), and can potentially be *very* destructive and dangerous.
Easy to split ceilings (and other stuff) with that one. :-)
For a first sharp, I'd actually prefer a smaller sword, though I may be in the minority on this forum.

If you really, really want an Albion, you should also check out the Knight. It's a little more money, but is of a very manageable overall size, and is an absolute classic.
The Mercenary is an even better value than the Crecy, and just looks awfully mean.

Albion also makes a more affordable line of unsharpened "Squire Line" swords that can be sharpened for a nominal fee. They are very well-constructed and handsome, as well.
For a first sword, I'd be tempted by an unsharpened one, or at least to purchase a wooden waster along with my sharp, for practice and getting to know the weapon.

Whether you buy a scabbard with a sword or not, I definitely wood not store the sword in the scabbard for any prolonged period of time.
Store it in the open air, in a cool dry place. Wipe the dust off regularly (if it gets a chance to get dusty), oil it periodically, polish it with a cloth until it shines. Or you can even wax it, which pretty much prevents oxidation entirely as long as you don't use the sword.

Swords are fun!
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and First Sword Questions         Reply with quote

John Marciano wrote:
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm John and am interested in purchasing a 'real' sword. First off, this is a great site for anyone who is completely clueless as to what to buy.

Hi, John, and welcome! Glad we've been of some help thus far... let's see if we can continue! Oh, by the way, it's a great site for lots of things - hope you hang around and both learn and contribute!

John Marciano wrote:
The only 'sword' I've ever owned is a completely phoney-baloney Japanese katana / wakazashi set that my brother bought me for Christmas one year.

But it still got your attention, didn't it? And now we're here... Most of us have some similar experience in the past...

John Marciano wrote:
Some questions: What's a good sword based on the following criteria: Sharp, can swing and cut, well-made and well balanced. After doing some research of my own, the Albion Next-Gen "Crecy" seems like a really good deal. It looks cool, and from what I've read, Albion is one of the best. The Crecy seems really good based on on-line reviews and pics.

My personal opinion (not that I ever express myself... Razz ) is indeed that Albion is at the head of the class for Viking/AngloSaxon, Roman, and Medieval pieces in the production/semi-production realm. They aren't cheap, but quality very, very rarely is. It takes a custom piece to get beyond these, and there aren't many who would pass my personal muster... and they are all much higher priced. To address your criteria:
    Sharp: unless requested otherwise, Next Generation and Museum Line pieces from Albion will be appropriately sharp.

Can swing and cut: The Crecy handles very nicely for a sword of it's type and intended purpose. I say this, because if you want a sword that handles like a 13th C Grete Sword, this won't feel right to you. Likewise, if you want a sword with significant blade presence, you would be better off with a piece like the Hersir. Back on target, though, yes, the Crecy handles very appriately and is a good, solid representation of original pieces of similar intent. I have not cut with it, but I believe it would perform admirably on appropriate media.

Well-made: The one Crecy I saw was solid. I own a dozen Albion swords, and all of them are very well done.
    Well balanced: Yup. If it's properties (such as weight distribution, blade geometry, fuller design, node placement, etc. - search for any of these terms for more info) weren't right, it wouldn't perform worth a damn. I was honestly happier with this sword than I thought I might be before handling it.

Good deal: This really depends on your criteria. It's a good value for it's price, in that you get a lot of NICE sword for what you pay. It performs as a piece of it's design should, within the bit of playing I did with it - I didn't push any envelopes, as I was inside at a convention. It does look nice, as well. Given your criteria, and what I think are your desires, yeah, it'd be a good choice. Other folks have spoken highly of it, as you've seen. We all have different tastes and opinions. My perspectve is different than a lot of others. I don't own the Crecy, because it isn't my particular interest, but that doesn't make it a bad piece. That said, my best bit of advice is to look at what you want in a sword, and decide from that rather than look at the prices down the line. Yes, a couple hundred bucks more is a lot, but if that's the difference between a good sword and a good for you sword, I'd save to get what I really want. Likewise, if you feel that the Crecy is your piece, I wouldn't hesitate.

Looks cool: It is a very attractive piece - a bit better in person than in the pics I've seen.

John Marciano wrote:
However, it seems like Albion's swords don't ship w/ scabbards and their least expensive scabbard is like $225 or so. Would it be wise to purchase it w/out a scabbard? Can one keep it oiled and clean w/out a scabbard?

I haven't purchased a scabbard for anything. Like Grey said, you can put one together yourself with some time and effort, if you want something to transport it in. I've made a few... if you search for "Ritter scabbard", "Vinland scabbard", and "Knight scabbard", you will find 3 threads on pieces I have made, including some of the process. That said, I don't store them in the scabbards all the time. I like to see the blades... I have had no trouble maintaining the swords with a simple wipedown with gun oil after use or once a month, whichever comes first.

John Marciano wrote:
Are there other options (sword-wise) that I'm unaware of that would be similar to the Crecy?

Not sure what else you are aware of... Albion makes quite a few different swords, and they aren't the only maker, even in the high-end side. I've seen and handled a bunch from various makers, and have had ample opportunity to own any of them. That said, all of my Viking and Medieval swords are Albions.

John Marciano wrote:
Thanks in advance for any answers and advice; I can't access this site from work, so I can't respond until this evening. Thanks again.

Hopefully my babbling here was somewhat helpful. It probably gives you more to question and work through than straight answers, but I think there are some good topics for you to explore and better understand what you are looking for. Crecy or not, I've no doubt you'll find a piece you will really enjoy.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
John Marciano

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies,

Refining my criteria, I'd like a blade that can cut, but am intrigued with the thrusting properities of some of the medieval swords. I've studied martial arts for a couple of years and learned the basics of a bokken, which I have in my house and practice with on occasion.

Getting a 'real' sword for me, I would practice w/ it; cutting, etc. and as a piece of history. I've always been fascinated w/ history and being a vet gives me some familitarity w/ weapons albiet modern ones.

Like Grey, I prefer to get an all-round sword though do want it capable of cutting. John mentioned the Knight, and from I saw on the videos intrigues me for sure. I also read the review ) Being 6'3", the size of the Crecy isn't really a big deal. From their website, I like the Baron too. To my eyes from the website, the Crecy seemed to be the compromise between a single-handed sword and a 'Grete war sword'; hand-and-a-half, but not quite the dimensions of the Baron. I'm not sure how any medieval sword is supposed to handle as I've only handled a wooden bokken and a fencing 'Saber' both of which feel ridiculously light (but not after the 250th stroke). [on edit: it's more like 75 where my arm starts to feel like it's on fire and by 100 I have a hard time lifting it]. As to balance, etc., I'm not sure I'd have enough experience to judge properly.

Aaron brought out some good points but "I was honestly happier with this sword than I thought I might be before handling it. " struck me the most.

I guess I'll do a little more reading, but I'm leaning toward the Crecy as I only want one sword and it seems like the good all-round choice. Thanks for your help.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury John. The Crecy is an excellent choice for a first sword. It's a very good versatile design. I think you'd be very happy with it.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given your additional input, John, I think the Crecy does fit the thoughts you have for what your sword is.

What it isn't - a blade leaning primarily towards cutting or towards thrusting - if you had said one or the other, I'd have suggested a Duke/Baron or a Regent/Munich. The Crecy should perform admirably in both arenas quite nicely. As I said, I liked it better after handling than before, because it did feel better in hand than I had expected it to. What I didn't mention was that I had pretty high expectations to begin with. It's a hell of a piece...

The Knight, since it was brought up, is my absolute hands-down favorite single-handed medieval sword. It just flat out kicks butt. I've been on record here in the forums countless times saying exactly that, and won't hesitate to do so again. There are others that come somewhat close, but I haven't found any better in that class of swords - closest was the Solingen. Two other swords that share the same blade are the Laird and the Caithness. They both handle differently than the Knight does - ever so slightly - and yes, I did back-to-back handling with them. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these three, based upon personal aesthetic preference, should you like a single-hander instead. They'd fit your cut and thrust combo nicely.

Whether you want one sword or a hundred, knowing some of the details on how they are designed is still nice - it gives you another perspective to look at your sword from and understand more on how it works and why - at least I've appreciated studying the pieces from the drawing board as much as on the field.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John, I have a crecy and it is a great sword. It is really a matter of personal opinion when comparing this to others. I've never handled the Baron before, but I know it is more cut based than thrusting based. The Crecy has a little less cutting ability but I think it may be more agile and versatile. I've done a good deal of cutting with the Crecy and it slices through most light targets with extreme ease. It has a good amount of flex to give it a great cut, but enough stiffness for an excellent thrust. I find it is lightning fast when used with both hands yet does not tire you out fast if used with one hand. If you want a single-hander like the Knight it would be a good decision also. It all depends on your personal opinion.

I hope this didn't just make things more difficult for you!

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Marciano wrote:
Thank you all for the replies,

Refining my criteria, I'd like a blade that can cut, but am intrigued with the thrusting properities of some of the medieval swords. I've studied martial arts for a couple of years and learned the basics of a bokken, which I have in my house and practice with on occasion.

Getting a 'real' sword for me, I would practice w/ it; cutting, etc. and as a piece of history. I've always been fascinated w/ history and being a vet gives me some familitarity w/ weapons albiet modern ones.

Like Grey, I prefer to get an all-round sword though do want it capable of cutting. John mentioned the Knight, and from I saw on the videos intrigues me for sure. I also read the review ) Being 6'3", the size of the Crecy isn't really a big deal. From their website, I like the Baron too. To my eyes from the website, the Crecy seemed to be the compromise between a single-handed sword and a 'Grete war sword'; hand-and-a-half, but not quite the dimensions of the Baron. I'm not sure how any medieval sword is supposed to handle as I've only handled a wooden bokken and a fencing 'Saber' both of which feel ridiculously light (but not after the 250th stroke). [on edit: it's more like 75 where my arm starts to feel like it's on fire and by 100 I have a hard time lifting it]. As to balance, etc., I'm not sure I'd have enough experience to judge properly.

Aaron brought out some good points but "I was honestly happier with this sword than I thought I might be before handling it. " struck me the most.

I guess I'll do a little more reading, but I'm leaning toward the Crecy as I only want one sword and it seems like the good all-round choice. Thanks for your help.

That is really creepy! I had the exact same conclusions over the summer, bought the Albion Crecy, bought it for the same reason, and am even the same height! Yipes! Eek!

I bought the Crecy, and I'm quite happy with it. It sits under my bed in the white box rather well Big Grin

On a more serious note, it does seem to be rather well-rounded for both cutting and thrusting, although I haven't actually cut anything with it. I didn't buy a scabbard, but will be making one in a month or so. Really, you can't go wrong with Albion in my opinion, so don't worry too much about making the "wrong" choice. Especially if you haven't had any sword experience, nothing will feel "wrong" about it, so you won't be dissappointed whichever way you end up going.
John Marciano

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've fairly made up my mind on the crecy and will push the button in the next couple of days. I'll let you all know what I get. Thanks again.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought The Knight from Albion - I didn't care for it visually, but it fit the purpose and design elements I was looking for. I almost went with the Crecy, I still am split on the issue. Anyhow, The Knight hangs on the wall by my bed, and grows on me a little more every time I look at it, and a whole lot more every time I cut with it. For me, the beauty is in the design.

I have a very good friend who loves swords, has a couple sets of armor, lots of SLOs, crossbows, and so on. When I told hime I'd spent hundreds of dollars on a sword, he looked at me like I was one wave short of a shipwreck. Why spend that much on (in his view) a plain jane sword, when ebay has as good or better for fifty bucks? Last week he came to my house and did some cutting with me. I put a plastic orange juice jug full of water up on my citting stand. As soon as the blade passed through the jug, a light went on.

For comparison, I had him try the same thing with a fifty dollar wallhanger, a claymore. All it did was knock the jug off the stand. Now he's asking me where he can get one. Beauty is in the hand of the wielder.

This is not to say that functional cant be beautiful, or that a good sword must be simple. Many of the swords I've seen on this sight are breathtaking and deadly. However, if you're ging for that first "real sword" chances are you aren't ready to drop three grand. Moreover you probably shouldn't drop that much until you learn what a sword really is, and what you want it to do for you. I'm just beginning to realize this myself. That said, I think the Crecy should be a marvelous first sword.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
John Marciano

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: The way-ay-ting is the hardest part.         Reply with quote

Made the order. Time to live Petty. Thanks for all the advice. Even from internet pics, the sword looks awesome. I'll post my review of it when it arrives. Thanks again.

John
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhhh, see now, if I had known you were 6'3" . . . . . . .

For us people built more like small tanks, shorter swords (smile) are sometimes in order . . . . . .
The Crecy is a great all-arounder. I think you will enjoy the heck out of it.

When I rake up the cash, I am definitely buying something like the Knight or the Bayeaux/Reeve.
Probably be after a couple of custom orders, though.
Darn Albion for not (yet) making a falcata or a qama!!! :-)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello and First Sword Questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic