Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Next Gen Oakeshott sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Albion Next Gen Oakeshott sword         Reply with quote

I did not find this discussed before so here it goes.

I far as I understand it the Albion NG oakeshott and chavalier are based on the famous type Xa sword from the wallace collection. I assume the dynamic properties of these 2 swords will be made very close to the original since the hilt components are somewhat different in appearance than the original's.

I was shocked to see a less than $800 price tag for the oakeshott, with its hollowgoround blade. the kingmaker is approaching $1000 for a comparison.

Can someone (read Peter Johnsson or the folks at albion) explain why the Oakeshott blade is easier to make (assuming that the price difference is mainly based on the blade and not hilt components).

I am mostly interested in the blade geometry details of the blade which make its hollowground cross section different than kingmaker's cross section. The presence of a fuller makes the two swords obviously different, but naively I would have guessed the the fullered, hollowground blade would be more complicated to make.

Do the edges of the Oakeshott have the slight swelling behind them (like on the Regent) forming a gentle secondary bevel (appropriate for regent's cross section I might add)?

Basically any discussion of the oakeshott's hollowground blade and how it compares to the "more typical" hollow-ground blades will be most appreciated.

This sword is on my short "to get" list though I have a type Xa sword in my collection.

Alexi
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was curious about the same thing..... and happily surprised by the low price of these 2 swords! I want a chevalier as soon as it's in production! Laughing Out Loud
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would guess that the price difference is possibly because the Kingmaker requires a much more severe hollow-grind that removes a lot a metal, where the Oakeshott seems to have only a shallow hollow grind between the fuller and edge.

Brian M

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Next Gen Oakeshott sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic