Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 72, 73, 74  Next 
James Byrnes

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Growing Regent?         Reply with quote

Howy, Peter, Jason et al,

Is it my imagination, or did the stats on the regent grow (for the better in my opinion)? It is now listed as being a hair over 48" and a little over 3 lbs. Again, I am not complaining, that sword is now firmly inside my "preferred weapon statistics" zone. Can't wait to see the hilt component waxes! Also, I know like several others I am really anxious to see the blade blank on the Viceroy.

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are definitely a few more swords I really like in the current "NG" lineup, but I might also wait and see what the "NNG" lineup holds. That's probably a good while in the future, with all the work Albion has on the table. Peter, Eric, or Howy mentioned the possibility of seeing a Claymore, a circa-13th-century Falchion, a single-edged Viking, and a Grosse/Krieg Messer.
I wonder if Eric or Howy could say if they have decided which NG swords will be the next batch to reach the production stage?

Regards,
Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Growing Regent?         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:

Is it my imagination, or did the stats on the regent grow (for the better in my opinion)? It is now listed as being a hair over 48" and a little over 3 lbs. Again, I am not complaining, that sword is now firmly inside my "preferred weapon statistics" zone. Can't wait to see the hilt component waxes! Also, I know like several others I am really anxious to see the blade blank on the Viceroy.

James

Hi James,
No, you do not imagine things Wink
It´s just me again and my shortcomings.
The blade for the "Regent" has been designed in many versions. I started to make preliminary designs for hollow ground blades to be produced by Albion two years ago. A big and stout hollow ground long sword was high on the early lists of things to make.
I have made a number of idea sketches and detailed line drawings since then.
The blade now put into production was finally put down while visiting Albion last september. Steve and I sat down together and went through the vital details. During this process we made some additional adjustments (lenght, radius of hollow, width, thickness...). The result was a blade with more powerfull presence and, we thought, a stronger visual appeal.

Beacuse of this the sword you now see seems bigger, although It has not really grown. It´s me, mixing in some old data thus making the concept drawing a bit too small.
I apologise for this mistake.
The proportions remains visually the same, it´s just a tad bigger.

As I made the estimation of weight on a smaller sword than the one actually produced you will also notice the wieght has increased somewhat as compared to my initial estimation.

I now have an approved prototype blade (very nice work by Steve, btw) to work with (it arrived yesterday!) and have started the process of trying out the hilt components. It seems the final weight will be around 1.5 kilos or 3.3 pounds.
I will do some more testing, but final weight will not deviate much from this.
The sword has a fluent and agile feel that meets the initial concept of what handling characteristics it should have.
I hope you will like it Wink
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Growing Regent?         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:

James

With this sword bigger is definitly better. Big Grin
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Thanks Peter         Reply with quote

Peter,

Thank you for answering. I am very happy by the overall growth of the sword. I especially like long hilted longswords, and by my calculations, the total handle length comes in at just under 11" ( 10.9) which means there should be a nice long grip. The total length of 48.3" is also right where I like them, very Germanic, which is a good thing since I study Kunst des Fechten! Again, thank you for clearing that up, we look forward to more of the progress pictures and most importantly , to playing with these babies.

James

PS would that the rest of us had such shortcomings! Razz

All Saints Blades
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Peter         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Peter,

Thank you for answering. I am very happy by the overall growth of the sword. I especially like long hilted longswords, and by my calculations, the total handle length comes in at just under 11" ( 10.9) which means there should be a nice long grip. The total length of 48.3" is also right where I like them, very Germanic, which is a good thing since I study Kunst des Fechten! Again, thank you for clearing that up, we look forward to more of the progress pictures and most importantly , to playing with these babies.

James

PS would that the rest of us had such shortcomings! Razz

Wow Big Grin

definately not as dainty as the version owned by Harlan. I've seen it up close and it's a wonderfull sword. I just like em with a little more beef.

That was my first choice before the Viceroy came along Razz

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More thoughts on the Sovereign

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Sovereign was inspired by XIV.8 in Oakeshott's, Records. No picture there, but a fine line drawing of a really good looking sword. Peter's sword isn't a copy - for one thing, his version is a little longer, for another, it has double fullers instead of the single on XIV.8. The pommel and guard(?) of the original were gold plated. Understandably, the Albion isn't, though the pommel is bronze.

An interesting thing about XIV.8, is that there is a fair chance that it was originally owned by Philip IV of France, who deposited his sword and armor in Chartres Cathedral in 1308. (I guess that's why they call this model, "The Sovereign." Philip IV, AKA Philip the Fair, was one of France's stronger Kings. He spirited the Papacy away to Avignon, the better to control it. He was also the guy who destroyed the Templers, accusing them of Satanism, and convicting and executing its leaders. Many believe the Templers were innocent of these charges. One result: Philip transferred all their considerable assets into the French treasury. I believe he also had some success in centralizing the French government, but that was set back after his death, around 1315.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In "Records" it also is mentioned that the form and construction of the hilt of the XIV.8 matches that of the Edward III sword. It also has a piece of fabric in the pommel. An exacting replica of this sword would be a very nice to see. Perhaps something for the boys at A&A to think about.

The bronze pommel on the sovereign is probably inspired from XIV.1 and the double fullers from XIV.6.

The sovereign is a very cool sword. To my knowledge there are no quality XIV replicas available besides the Del Tin 2140 that replicates XIV.1. and the sovereign blows that one away.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems like its getting harder to keep from over buying all the time.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter, you mentioned before about a next-next gen migration era sword "Anglo-Saxon" in flavour. What features make a sword thus?

Cheers mate. Happy
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Question for Peter         Reply with quote

Peter,

I was looking at the Landgraff, and a question occured to me. Have you thought, or is it possible. to make an alternate version with a scent stopper pommel? Perhaps something inspired by the Sempach family of blades? I am not sure why, but I just do not like the H style pommel (nor wheels to be honest). Personal quirk? Admittedly, but when I look at that blade, I think Oakeshott T4. As an aside, and from a marketing standpoint, the scent stopper would fill a gap in the next gen line. As always I look forward to your response.

James

All Saints Blades
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for Peter         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Peter,

I was looking at the Landgraff, and a question occured to me. Have you thought, or is it possible. to make an alternate version with a scent stopper pommel? Perhaps something inspired by the Sempach family of blades? I am not sure why, but I just do not like the H style pommel (nor wheels to be honest). Personal quirk? Admittedly, but when I look at that blade, I think Oakeshott T4. As an aside, and from a marketing standpoint, the scent stopper would fill a gap in the next gen line. As always I look forward to your response.

James

You know, James, I had thought the same thing, and would LOVE the same blade with a scent stopper.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for Peter         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
James Byrnes wrote:
Peter,

James

You know, James, I had thought the same thing, and would LOVE the same blade with a scent stopper.

Hi Bill & James,

I had a similar idea myself and contacted Mike about it when I ordered my Landgraf....Sorry to say that it seems that the pommel design is kind of "fixed" at the moment. Who knows....perhaps Peter will be able to come up with an alternative for us! Happy

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Hi Peter, you mentioned before about a next-next gen migration era sword "Anglo-Saxon" in flavour. What features make a sword thus?

Cheers mate. Happy

Hi Taylor,

I might have expressed myself a bit unclear. The anglo saxon sword being developed belongs to the viking era and not the migration period. (There are other suggestions for late roman and migration era swords).
A typical feature for anglo saxon swords is the curving upper and lower guard and a three lobed (sometimes five lobed) pommel with a prominent peak in the middle.
Petersen in his work on Norwegian Viking Swords define this as type L.
I have not yet decided what blade to base it on. Either it could be of Geibig 1 type (moderate length, very little profile taper and a shallow fuller) or a slight type Geibig 4 (moderate length, prominent profile taper, tapering fuller)

As type L swords are associated to the perid 850-975 any of the Geibig types 1, 2 or 3 could be possible. Those three blades I have designed as representatives of these types are medium-large versions of their type and may be a bit too big for this sword.

Most anglo saxon swords I´ve seen are rather slight in their dimensions. Geibig 4 blades belongs to 1050-1150, but there are surviving type L swords that have a rather strong profile taper that is reminiscent of a Geibig type 4 blade.
These weapons have a very specific flavour and a strong character of their own.

Right now there are several different solutions to this sword. Howy will probably post info on this one as soon as we have a finalized conception presentation.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Three new NGs         Reply with quote

Peter has designed three new NextGen swords, with planned release in September: two Scottish XIIs and a variation on the XVII due to popular interest...

Here is an exclusive preview -- they will go "live" later today or tomorrow... Advance reservations at a $100 savings on the listed price available to myArmoury Members only on these three new swords until February 15.

Best,

Howy
Albion

(sorry, didn't realize that Gary had beat me to it on the main forum!)

Attachment: 13.55 KB
smTypXIICaithness.jpg

Attachment: 13.38 KB
smTypXIILaird.jpg

Attachment: 14.47 KB
smTypXVIISempach.jpg

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AHHHH!

More incentives to spend, spend, spend!!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Manny G

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Regent Update         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Here are a couple of photos of the Regent blade blank, designed by Peter and programmed by Steve Fisher.

Best,

Howy

Nice radius on them blanks... Big Grin (Radius, if I have it correctly, meaning the rounded shoulders... --maybe I should stop there, not being expert. Laughing Out Loud )

I took a break on the forums for a while -- luckily maybe, or I might've been tempted to order another one! I just have two on order, including a Viking.
Manny G

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, and that new XVII (Sempach) has a totally different look. It looks more the armor killer than the saintly Landgraf.

Interesting personality change. Will they handle differently?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manny G wrote:
Oh, and that new XVII (Sempach) has a totally different look. It looks more the armor killer than the saintly Landgraf.

Interesting personality change. Will they handle differently?

No Happy

both versions will be built with the same mass in the pommel and same grip length.
Difference in weight should be minimal with no real effect in handling.
Some prefer the wedge shaped pommels for handling reasons and so the Sempach should be their obvious choise. Balance and heft will not differ between the two, however.
Personally I do not find the wedge shaped or scent stopper pommels offering a big advantage in manouvering the sword.
...I´m no swordsman though and I recognize that there might be reason to prefer one type before the other from aesthetic resons or because of a preference in pommel type.

I like the effect you describe: they will look quite different side by side. Two characters quite apart.
Manny G

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation!

I like the long neck of the Landgraf. It's good to know that it's really a "brute" deep down... Big Grin (I like that it's the more-unusual looking sword, but at the same time it's "a Sempach inside.")

Also interesting that they both have the same grippable area, though "more leather" on the Landgraf correct? The swordsman (or swordswoman Wink ) then can utilize both swords identically. This is exactly what I was wondering about.

Both good. Looks very different.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens
Page 10 of 74 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 72, 73, 74  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: