Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just Showing Off : The Albion Squire Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Just Showing Off : The Albion Squire         Reply with quote

A ways back another forumite posted pics of his Albion Squire, and frankly,
I kept digging up the post to look at his blade, and for awhile had it on my
screensaver ... That oughta' tell you how interested I've been in acquiring
The Squire. Well, Albion's recent sale -- and my own recent frugality -- made
acquiring a new blade possible ! Which to choose ... B-)
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew, that's a nice looking piece with that grip. I believe you will find the Squire to be a pretty sweet blade.

Have you had a chance to put it through it's paces? I spent some time cutting with mine today with a few friends that stopped by. I found alignment easy, as that pommel wedges against my palm and keeps things true. I'd be interested in how your experience is with it.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Matthew. You've made a fine choice, by all accounts. I have been thinking about the Squire, myself.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Matthew, I'm jealous! Surprised

The Squire is definitely one of my favorites. I first met one in person at a Round Table event earlier this year. I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that Type XVI Exclamation

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Matthew, that's a nice looking piece with that grip. I believe you will find the Squire to be a pretty sweet blade.

Have you had a chance to put it through it's paces? I spent some time cutting with mine today with a few friends that stopped by. I found alignment easy, as that pommel wedges against my palm and keeps things true. I'd be interested in how your experience is with it.

Thanks, Aaron ... This particular pic doesn't do justice to the grip's color, there's an understated smattering of
black throughout that is truly attractive. Sad to say, the best I can do with handling is swinging the blade about
from a few simple positions. But you're absolutely correct about where the pommel rests and how it keeps one's
cuts honest. I've an Albion Clontarf w/a CF scabbard and it seems like all Viking swords of similar styles, the
pommel can murder the hand -- unless you know what you're doing. B-)

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: A little diff lighting ...         Reply with quote

And thanks to you other gentleman for your comments ! Here's another
look at the grip under an evening/overcast sky ...
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Thanks, Aaron ... This particular pic doesn't do justice to the grip's color, there's an understated smattering of black throughout that is truly attractive. Sad to say, the best I can do with handling is swinging the blade about from a few simple positions. But you're absolutely correct about where the pommel rests and how it keeps one's cuts honest. I've an Albion Clontarf w/a CF scabbard and it seems like all Viking swords of similar styles, the
pommel can murder the hand -- unless you know what you're doing. B-)

The pics under the new lighting really tell a lot. Love it.

As for the Clontarf, yes. Hammer away with it, and it does seem tough. Shake hands with it, and you'll find it's a perfect gentleman. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, forgive me for reviving a year old thread, but I've got a couple questions on the squire, and I figured, why not revive these great pictures while I'm at it? Anyway, how would the handling of the Squire compare to the handling of the Laird? I realize that these are two different swords built with different things in mind. Of course, the squire is going to be a superior thruster, but what about in terms of quickness in the cut? How would they compare in terms of fainting, and changing direction? I'm just curious because these two are at the forefront of my next purchasing thoughts (along with a couple of longswords), and I'm looking for a quick, lively sword to go along with my brute, the Gaddhjalt.

Thanks for your input, and enjoy looking at Mathew's squire...she sure is a beauty!

Kenton
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Kenton,

There have been reviews done of both the Squire and the Laird on this site. You may find some answers there. Happy

-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ted, ya, trust me, I have read them. I could probably recite them to be honest. I know that both swords handle well, and that both are at least fairly quick swords. I'm just hoping that somebody has experience with both and can give me a little bit of a feel for the subtleties of them in comparison. Stylistically they are pretty well tied, I don't have plans for a kit to go with either of them, so I am sort of trying to make a decision based upon handling (of coarse the decision gets harder when you throw in my desire to try a two handed/bastard sword, toss up between Talhoffer and A&A English longsword at this point). Maybe I should start flipping coins, it always seems that the last sword I looked at is the next sword I want anyway. I doubt I would be dissapointed with any Albion or A&A swords Big Grin

Thanks,

Kenton
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have the Laird, but I do own a Squire and the SL Knightly sword (Type XII, like the Laird). I would say that, when cutting, the SL Knightly is actually a little faster than the Squire. Of course, it doesn't have the same point control, and the point of rotation is different (I don't know how to measure that, but you can feel a difference). To be honest, though, the Laird is going to handle differently. It is an ounce or two heavier, the POB is 1/2" different, the COP is one inch different, and it is just a different sword. Even those minor changes will result in a sword that is not comparable to the SL Knightly, so don't make any decisions based on my comparison without taking that into account (which probably means you just shouldn't base any decisions on this post at all).

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled and cut with the Knight, Laird, and Caithness as well as the Squire, though not together or even within a few months of each other is some cases.

If I recall all my experiences correctly, the Squire is faster at the tip and slightly more maneuverable than the Type XII's. It may cede a little authority in the cut, but not much. The Squire may be faster in the cut, but loses a little pop to the slightly beefier blades.

The XII's will carry a little more momentum in the blades during a cut, though, which may make them feel a little faster in some swings. With a little less blade presence, the Squire won't pull itself through the cut as naturally as a Type XII, but it's no slouch of course.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
(of coarse the decision gets harder when you throw in my desire to try a two handed/bastard sword, toss up between Talhoffer and A&A English longsword at this point). Maybe I should start flipping coins, it always seems that the last sword I looked at is the next sword I want anyway. I doubt I would be dissapointed with any Albion or A&A swords Big Grin

You certainly can't go wrong with either maker; I own pieces from both (among them, a Talhoffer). I've always wanted to 'meet' an A&A Eng. longsword. I've handled the Squire and Laird at a RT party last year: that Squire has a mean tip! And the Laird balanced extremely well and was very comfortable to hold. I don't know what would cause more damage -- being on the receiving end of the Squire's tip or the Laird's guard. Surprised

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just Showing Off : The Albion Squire
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic