Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
Now... Hearing that there are techniques which, in your opinion, no-one presently living (so far) can perform, is just exactly the type of challenge I like to accept. If possible, would you be able to give me a link to a copy of Fabris' second volume (or a copy), or a similar volume of difficult advanced rapier or arming sword techniques? Since hearing of these manuals, I have managed to only locate excerpts and short copies, and to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know there was a Fabris part two. I am firm in my belief that I can use my personalised custom jian to perform these techniques... eventually. I'm only 30, I have all the time in the world, fate willing. And in any case, it gives me a whole wealth of new techniques to add to my practice and matching, and jianshu experts know jianshu, they may not recognise western styles, which may give me an edge during my next season of matches in Asia (coming soon... I'm trying to build up the holiday pay from work... Haha!).

The problem isn't that the motions of the techniques are difficult, or that they are even difficult conceptually. The problem is that in order to do them, you have to have completely mastered the technical fundamentals and you have to have complete mastery of tempo and measure.

Bennison N wrote:
In the past, I have watched modern rapier matches, and found them to be what I can only describe as "withheld", as the participants fear accidental or intentional damage far more than I think is acceptable for free and expressive use of weapons. I believe that advanced techniques devised in an age where continuing to exist often relied entirely on your skill with a blade will be far more revealing as to the possibilities... and limits (heaven forbid...).

Actually, I usually see the complete opposite--people charging in with no fear of the opponent's weapon. This works well in a tournament situation which rewards aggressive fencers (look at modern epee), but is not good when a mistake can injure or kill you.

Bennison N wrote:
Is it possible, though, that these apparently near-impossible techniques are merely theories Fabris thought up and put on paper, but never actually tested or practiced? It doesn't matter. I would sincerely appreciate your knowledgeable assistance in acquiring them for my ongoing perfection of my art. You really seem to know a lot about the contents of these manuals... Do you practise them yourself?

I doubt that he put anything in there he couldn't do. I also don't think Book 2 is something you can study in isolation. That is, if you want to learn them, expect to spend 5+ years mastering the stuff in book 1 first (and I think 5 years is extremely optimistic). I have only practiced the first technique each of sword-alone and sword and dagger. That was a few years ago, before I had developed the skill. However, I think that I *might* be ready to look at the 1st sword-alone technique again.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered Leoni's book today. I liked the reviews as saw here at My Armory as an easy to understand interpretation. I'm always looking to adding new techniques to my bag of tricks.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
I ordered Leoni's book today. I liked the reviews as saw here at My Armory as an easy to understand interpretation. I'm always looking to adding new techniques to my bag of tricks.

Actually, it's a translation rather than an interpretation, but the absolute best Italian manual of the 1600s (and in the top three or four of all of the treatises).

Steve

Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing you can't do, is forget that the SCA has rules. And those rules, while needed for safety, don't allow for full realism.

If the shieldman rushes you in real life and you think he's going to get inside of you, drop the pole arm and grapple( and or a secondary weapon (dagger or short hafted weapon)).

That shield is a big lever that will work against its user. And some pretty simple aikido/judo style throws would work very well. You could also insert some of the german historical grappling styles as well.

Will this work every time? No way. But for people (especially SCA trained people, which I myself am one) to think the Polearm User has no option but to die, is far fetched.

From my experience, most SCA Shield users (and I mean a HUGE percentage) rely upon blocking that first shot to get inside. Very few consistently dodge. And has been mentioned, a real polearm is going to do serious damage to that shield, arm, shoulder, when blocking that shot.

Same for the "belly to belly" style of SCA fighting. I doubt that would happen much in real life. You would very quickly see leg trips, shield bashes, hip throws, tackles, and the list goes on.

Rules.... Never forget the Rules. Happy
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:
One thing you can't do, is forget that the SCA has rules. And those rules, while needed for safety, don't allow for full realism.

If the shieldman rushes you in real life and you think he's going to get inside of you, drop the pole arm and grapple( and or a secondary weapon (dagger or short hafted weapon)).

That shield is a big lever that will work against its user. And some pretty simple aikido/judo style throws would work very well. You could also insert some of the german historical grappling styles as well.

There is no doubt that safety rules reduce realism. That is not just SCA. Live steel has rules too on hitting calibration and target areas. Those guys often don't use face protection. There has to be rules otherwise people would be getting hurt or killed. I am sure that when medieval knights trained their squires they observed restraint too. It is not a good idea to kill ones own squires in training.

One of my complaints with SCA Rapier in the East kingdom is the extremely light hitting calibration. They want touch kills instead of a small bend in the blade. This forces me to fight at a slower speed or I must be at the very edge of my range. This is something takes up thinking resources. In rattan I don't have to devote any thinking power to pulling my shots. In rapier I do, and that is a brain-drain for me.

On the issue of grappling for the polearm, in the East Kingdom they do allow limited grappling. The polearm is allowed to grab the shieldman's shield. In reality I don't think he could grab anything else until he shield is out of the way. He is also more then welcome to drop his polearm and pull a dagger or any other authorized weapon. Its a problem of fencing times for the polearm. As he grabs my shield he just used up his fencing time and he is going to get hit by me. Remember, in SCA Rattan we are all pre-15 th century armored "only in mail". He can't just ignore my my strikes. Reaching for a dagger will use up at least one fencing time too. This is fine if the shieldman not aggressive, but if the shieldman is rushing in and attacking every second counts.

Please don't misunderstand me, by no means do I think that polearms are easy to beat. That is why I fight in the most aggressive manor against them. I have been beaten by polearms plenty of times, but in all cases the skill level and years of experience of my opponent were much greater then my own.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[
One of my complaints with SCA Rapier in the East kingdom is the extremely light hitting calibration. They want touch kills instead of a small bend in the blade. This forces me to fight at a slower speed or I must be at the very edge of my range. This is something takes up thinking resources. In rattan I don't have to devote any thinking power to pulling my shots. In rapier I do, and that is a brain-drain for me.

Here in Ansteorra we allow a bit more in the touch department for French 5 and epee'. Heavy Rapier is different and I never did get my card on that one. But as I see it, it damn hard to call a touch at full speed and often when I did fight other Kingdoms, I was often called on for too much contact. Hey, It's Texas! We do everything Big here.
A light touch to me is not realistic. It can draw blood, yes, but not necessarily kill.

My 1 3/4 cent worth.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Heavy Rapier is different and I never did get my card on that one. But as I see it, it damn hard to call a touch at full speed and often when I did fight other Kingdoms, I was often called on for too much contact. Hey, It's Texas! We do everything Big here.
A light touch to me is not realistic. It can draw blood, yes, but not necessarily kill.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a hard time getting my card because of the occasional "more then touch" hit. Very unrealistic, but those are the rules in my kingdom. Atlantia, which is Virginia/North Carolina, has the best in my opinion. Some people swear the hit like they are using rattan, lol. I had one marshal flip out on me because I jerked his head back last week at practice. They guy was lunging forward when I hit him.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:

There is no doubt that safety rules reduce realism. That is not just SCA.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem are the rules that exist or the rules that don't...

Might seem paradoxical but it could be possible to enforce a better realism of the actions by choosing rules not just for safety. Rules about which hits count are in this category. Rules that ensure a certain flow of the fight (something like fencing priority) might help too. I mean we aren't going to suppress safety rules so if the fights are unrealistic in some ways, it makes sense to add rules in order to add realism.

There must be a reason why every traditional martial sport with weapons I know of has more rules than just safety.

Of course in order to do that one has to have a good idea of what a real fight with the weapons considered looks like. Which cannot really be settled through safe experimentation because of the rule problem above. So obviously we can go in circles for a while Happy, but in the end the decision will either be based on what the guy that did it tell us (manuals and accounts), or what each of us think it is that should happen, which will remain a matter of opinion. Barring real-life experience which would be the most undesirable of all things.

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a hard time getting my card because of the occasional "more then touch" hit. Very unrealistic, but those are the rules in my kingdom. Atlantia, which is Virginia/North Carolina, has the best in my opinion. Some people swear the hit like they are using rattan, lol. I had one marshal flip out on me because I jerked his head back last week at practice. They guy was lunging forward when I hit him.

I definitely agree with this--that is, a touch should bend a blade--it needs to show that it would have penetrated a good 3-4 fingers. This is one of my big complaints with most people's hand-sniping. The hand and sword-arm are valid targets--but you're just not going to slow anyone down unless the blade goes in or better yet, through. Personally, I would prefer a point d'arret so that the point can catch the glove or sleeve and stick enough to make the blade bend, but I understand the safety concerns.

The other problem is one of people complaining when you hit them hard because they are basically charging at you without closing the line and throwing themselves on your point. While I don't do the SCA, these complaints aren't just limited to that venue. The ironic thing is that the safety equipment tends to make it more likely rather than less, as people who "armor up" for rapier tend to also have "contempt" of the opponent's point.

Steve

Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Heavy Rapier is different and I never did get my card on that one. But as I see it, it damn hard to call a touch at full speed and often when I did fight other Kingdoms, I was often called on for too much contact. Hey, It's Texas! We do everything Big here.

That is true with anything. I have been hit with the heavy blades, they leave a good bruse!
I have had women hit me harder than men, as they explain it, "You won't call it unless it's good."
I don't mind getting hit. I know what I'm in for as far as injury. A bruse is nothing, just when the epee snaps into a sharp point, please, someone say something! Laughing Out Loud

Are you scared, Connor?
Bennison N

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered Italian Rapier Combat by Ridolfo Capo Ferro, the James Kirby translation, today, along with Leoni's translation of The Art of Dueling by Salvator Fabris and John Michael Greer's translation of Academy of the Sword by Girard Thibault d'Anvers.

These seem to be the most commonly mentioned manuals of the type we have been discussing. Can anyone think of anything else I should buy to get diverse techniques possibly applicable to my 80cm (31.5in) jian?

This is a very short weapon for a rapier technique, I know, but I'll make it work, you wait and see...

And that brings me back to range... Do any of you rapier men find that "closing the gap" (obvious...) and "sticking to the body" (staying inside...) makes your single rapier less effective? I have heard that many rapiers are only sharpened the centre to the tip, which seems to me to be good at a distance, but not so good up close...

I want to point out that I mean when you don't have armour, a dagger, shield or other sword...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
I ordered Italian Rapier Combat by Ridolfo Capo Ferro, the James Kirby translation, today, along with Leoni's translation of The Art of Dueling by Salvator Fabris and John Michael Greer's translation of Academy of the Sword by Girard Thibault d'Anvers.

All good books, you shouldn't be disappointed (although I found the Capoferro translation a little clunky).

Bennison N wrote:
These seem to be the most commonly mentioned manuals of the type we have been discussing. Can anyone think of anything else I should buy to get diverse techniques possibly applicable to my 80cm (31.5in) jian?

You could try earlier stuff, such as Jherek Swanger's (free) translation of Dall'Agocchie's 1572 treatise (just do a search on the translator and author), or the Forgeng translation of Meyer's 1570 treatise and look at the rappier section. Both of these are a little earlier than the "classic" rapier and utilize cuts quite a bit more.

Bennison N wrote:
This is a very short weapon for a rapier technique, I know, but I'll make it work, you wait and see...

The main problem you're going to have if you attempt to apply rapier technique to a Jian without some significant modification in certain areas is the lack of a complex hilt. This is a pretty important part of the weapon as it is almost like having a buckler in the same hand. The earlier stuff won't be as problematic, but there will still be areas where the lack of quillons or a complex hilt will make certain techniques difficult.

Bennison N wrote:
And that brings me back to range... Do any of you rapier men find that "closing the gap" (obvious...) and "sticking to the body" (staying inside...) makes your single rapier less effective? I have heard that many rapiers are only sharpened the centre to the tip, which seems to me to be good at a distance, but not so good up close...

I try to avoid grappling distance (although some authors do give some techniques), as I want to use my sword. Once you close into that distance, you're really not going to be able to use the rapier for much more than striking with the hilt or pommel. If you think about it, cutting with a rapier is really not going to be that effective if you don't do it with the debole, so it shouldn't really change things if the forte is dull.

Steve

Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven, could you tell me about your fencing group and location. If possible, I like to try to get around to other groups and fence as many different people as I can. The bigger the pool of people the better. I don't just fence rapier in the SCA I also fence rapier in the MSR, which is local in the NYC/Long Island area. It tends to be a smaller pool of people but I have still been able to find competent fencers there with different styles.

So my questions range from, how big is your pool, where is it located, do you do tournaments within your group, is it open for people to drop in from out of town and do you guys ever get into the NYC area for some fencing? Feel free to add any other info.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
If you will allow me to use the example of a Edo period Japanese Warrior-monk, or Sohei, who were very well known for Naginata techniques, a fact that eventually led to their eradication at the hands of Oda Nobunaga, starting in 1571, and Tokugawa Ieyasu, ending in 1603. A Naginata is essentially a halberd, or glaive, depending on the Naginata, as I'm sure you will agree. The Sohei, who were very often defeated or disillusioned Samurai, and very organised professional soldiers, were able to create "sections" in an enemy line with the use of very fast turning, with the blade at alternating heights of leg, torso, head, and back again in random patterns. The opponents would not be willing to step inside the circle this created around the Monks, and would be scattered into smaller groups. The Ashigaru, or infantry, and usually armed with Yari, or spears, would then pick off these smaller groups of enemy with far less trouble. (Meanwhile, the Samurai would be facing off in a series of dismounted one-on-ones against other Samurai, or riding around on horses picking off stragglers and heroes with arrows and swords.)

It is true that they wouldn't have faced a Shield and Sword in combination, shields not having been very popular amongst Japanese fighters, but they would have faced many exponents of the School of "Two Skies", famous for the use of a Wakizashi and Katana at the same time, the Wakizashi being used primarily as a blocking tool. Not similar enough, I know...

Hmmm...I'm afraid I have to ask where you learned of this, since it doesn't tally well with what little I know of Japanese warfare in the Sengoku era (not Edo, which is after Tokugawa became the sole ruler of the land). Relying on that kind of whirling motion doesn't seem to be a very good idea, since the easiest counter--namely, masses of arrows and arquebus balls--were present in copious numbers on any real Japanese battlefield (instead of the all-sword-and-no-shot depiction we often see in movies). And I don't really think I've ever heard of nito techniques being used on a Japanese battlefield. Yes, the Niten Ichi-ryu is famous for its two-sword techniques, but as far as I'm aware all of the nito katas in that ryu are designed for use against a single adversary. More importantly, Musashi--the founder of the ryu--doesn't seem to have ever used two swords in actual fighting, whether in single combat or in battle. Last but not least, as far as I'm aware the samurai were more likely to have engaged in more massed and disciplined actions rather than solitary heroic duels.

I know this seems like straying way off-topic, but it's not because if you can't give reliable sources for your statements then its applicability to the polearms vs. swords debate would be in serious doubt.
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
[More importantly, Musashi--the founder of the ryu--doesn't seem to have ever used two swords in actual fighting, whether in single combat or in battle.

From the History of Musashi:
Quote:
One exception to this rule was a fight in Enmyo, against Miyake Gunbei, in which Musashi first used his two-sword style in a duel. He killed Gunbei, and named the style Enmyo-Ryu, after the duel (Ryu means school, or style). Later he changed the name to Nito Ichi-Ryu (Two Swords integrated as One School), and then again to Niten Ichi-Ryu. Niten means 'two heavens', and is thought to refer to Musashi's most famous combat stance, with two daito raised above his head. It is said that on his death, not one of Musashi's students could master Niten Ichi-Ryu, and the style died with its creator.

http://www.iyume.com/musashi/musashi.htm

I have studied Japanese art and history for over 35 years and taught Japanese martial arts for over 25 years. Musashi was a favorite of mine.

Are you scared, Connor?
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven, could you tell me about your fencing group and location. If possible, I like to try to get around to other groups and fence as many different people as I can. The bigger the pool of people the better. I don't just fence rapier in the SCA I also fence rapier in the MSR, which is local in the NYC/Long Island area. It tends to be a smaller pool of people but I have still been able to find competent fencers there with different styles.

So my questions range from, how big is your pool, where is it located, do you do tournaments within your group, is it open for people to drop in from out of town and do you guys ever get into the NYC area for some fencing? Feel free to add any other info.

Well, there aren't that many of us as we are a core study group rather than a "school" of the sort that accepts students. We occasionally have events with some of the other WMA fencers in the area, but not formal tournaments (although we might do them in the future). We're based in Arlington/Alexandria, VA in the DC area.

I haven't made it to NYC, although there are a few peers I need to go visit soon.

Steve

Bennison N

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
[More importantly, Musashi--the founder of the ryu--doesn't seem to have ever used two swords in actual fighting, whether in single combat or in battle.

From the History of Musashi:
Quote:
One exception to this rule was a fight in Enmyo, against Miyake Gunbei, in which Musashi first used his two-sword style in a duel. He killed Gunbei, and named the style Enmyo-Ryu, after the duel (Ryu means school, or style). Later he changed the name to Nito Ichi-Ryu (Two Swords integrated as One School), and then again to Niten Ichi-Ryu. Niten means 'two heavens', and is thought to refer to Musashi's most famous combat stance, with two daito raised above his head. It is said that on his death, not one of Musashi's students could master Niten Ichi-Ryu, and the style died with its creator.

http://www.iyume.com/musashi/musashi.htm

I have studied Japanese art and history for over 35 years and taught Japanese martial arts for over 25 years. Musashi was a favorite of mine.

Musashi is everyone's favourite. I like Jubei and Munenori from the Yagyu as well. Especially Jubei, for his ability to become nearly pure legend.

Read Turnbull, is all I have to say, Lafayette. He does great research. He is, however, a pure historian... Excellent references... Have fun... He did a good Ninja book as well. It would have been great if the pig-headed, proud Samurai worked together always as you described, but unfortunately, certain Samurai sought out other certain Samurai on the battlefield, and a fully-armoured, Daimyo sanctioned duel would erupt. It is purely Bushido. To live it is to really understand it.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Raymond Arnold

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question about an earlier part of this conversation.

Several people said "range = advantage, except in cramped quarters where it doesn't. What they didn't go into (unless I missed it. I just skimmed the past few pages but admit I didn't read carefully) was why reach doesn't work in close quarters. I have a sort of image in my head of how it'd work, but don't know exactly what the shorter weapon guy would be doing that he/she couldn't do in a field.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Arnold wrote:
I have a question about an earlier part of this conversation.

Several people said "range = advantage, except in cramped quarters where it doesn't. What they didn't go into (unless I missed it. I just skimmed the past few pages but admit I didn't read carefully) was why reach doesn't work in close quarters. I have a sort of image in my head of how it'd work, but don't know exactly what the shorter weapon guy would be doing that he/she couldn't do in a field.

If there is no room to back up the one with the longer weapon has less control over the engagement range i.e. no room to step back.

If there is no room to move the weapon effectively or too many obstacles to being able to freely swing the weapon it limits options: These could be an 8' spear in a room with a 7' ceiling, narrow corridors, numerous closely placed columns or a heavily wooded area if outdoors, narrow spiral staircase etc ...

Now someone mentioned that in a narrow corridor a long weapon might still be able to trust effectively and there would be no room for the opponents to get around or behind, so the advantage is not always with the shorter weapon in cramped quarters. I could see a narrow corridor giving the longer weapon an advantage but tight turns or short sections of corridors would create points of increased danger.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even with a straight and narrow section, the shorter weapon has the advantage. That is because (assuming it is a battle, vs. one on one) even the long weapons tend to get trapped by people behind you who want to get to the front. People end up trying to thrust over their head, with both arms raised. Not very effective, compared to a guy who can get a short sword up inside and turn into a "Sewing machine of death".

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range
Page 7 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: