Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly posted thoughts on his here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7590
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just bought a Svante from one of my friends (and fellow forumite) and it just arrived in the original Albion packaging. I have loved the sword from the first time I laid hands on it at a practice session and the weapon felt magical in terms of balance. The folks at Albion have created a sword that feels alive in the hand with wicked cutting and thrusting potential. My Landgraf with Gothic Christian Fletcher grip was my favorite until this beast arrived.
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Blue Light started flashing at K-Mart and I picked this up:

Attachment: 141.81 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 137.67 KB
[ Download ]
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword is an Albion Svante, which arrived on Tuesday. Before that, I received an Albion Munich with a Gothic hilt and a scabbard by Christian Fletcher (I gave her a thread of her own). Also recently, my AT/CF Venetian Sidesword returned to me with a new grip and a matching scabbard.

My next sword (already paid for, but not yet received) is the Bugei Lion Dog daisho. She'll go to Keith Larman for an adjustment to her tsuka before she comes to me.

Sadly, I won't be back in the U.S. until Christmas, when I can see my four new girls for the first time and see the Svante before I send her off to Christian to get her own scabbard. I promise pictures will follow! Big Grin

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,

That sounds great. Would love to see lots of pictures of the Munich with the Gothic hilt. I remember you mentioning the Bugei Lion Dog set... will be curious to see pictures and how much it meets your expectations. Who is Keith and what all does he do? Why does it need adjusted?

What month are you in the cue to have your Svante scabbard done by Christian? I'd say the Svante is by far my most favorite sword so far... I guess it should be though! After having a Svante, I can't imagine having as much enthusiasm for the Munich... The Svante sort of raised my expectations I suppose. Anyway, the Gothic Munich is still of interest to me (the blade seems not much beefier than a rapier). The Brescia Spadona is nice and has that very distinct tapered blade, but the blade seems rather thin in some regards and probably wasn't meant for armor? Hopefully Albion will do more swords of that museum level caliber...
Stuart Mackey

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Should have done this a good few months ago..better late than never:
My last sword, just in time for Christmas 07, was a A&A English Longsword, and what an excellent wee present it was, a simply delightful sword.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris,

My Munich is discussed in this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11309

Bill's recent review of the Munich has me very impatient to see my own. (I was expecting Patrick to do an "official" review of the Svante at some point...)

I mention the Knecht in the Munich post. I ended up waving off on that. I was also idly pondering the Dane and the Valkyrja. In the end, I decided that graduate school needed to take priority, so I focused on the two others that I really wanted; the Svante and the Lion Dog. I could be dissapointed about that, but any "worst case" scenario that ends with you owning a Svante isn't too much of a tragedy. Wink

Anyway, Keith Larman is a professional togishi who does work with Bugei on the side. He's shortening the tsuka from 15 inches to 13 inches. James Williams likes very long tsuka, and I just wanted to nip that to a length more comfortable for me. Keith's work can be seen at www.summerchild.com. The blade will retain the basic stock polish. He's just doing the tsuka.

I'm glad to hear you liked the Svante so much. It seems to be a universal opinion. I'm really looking forward to seeing that one in the steel. It sucks listening to your parents rave about your sword when you're stationed overseas in a country where swords are illegal and you can't see it for yourself. Ah, the sacrifices I make for my country. Christian has me in the December timeframe, so I was planning on going home for Christmas, seeing the Svante for the first time, and mailing her to him personally. By the time I come back stateside for good, she should be ready. Big Grin

Incidentally, the reason I wanted the Munich so much was because of Peter's interest in the original Bayerisches sword. Though not a Museum Line sword, the Munich's blade is a pretty precise copy of that one, and Peter had nothing but good things to say about the original.

At some point I should decide which Maestro Line I want, the Meyer or the Liechtenhauer. Leaning towards the Meyer.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Michael Barna

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Chris,

At some point I should decide which Maestro Line I want, the Meyer or the Liechtenhauer. Leaning towards the Meyer.

I own and enjoy a Meyer, when I open my sword bag there is always a competition to see who gets to train with the Meyer.

It has a floating "perfect balance" feel to it, yet when deflecting full speed blows (first and second plays of the longsword in Fiore's Giocco Largo) from heavy training swords (A and A Spada da Zogho) it does so with authority. The rounded blade edges on the Meyer actually hold up better to contact than does the A and A blade.

Mike

Rest assured...I did indeed use the SEARCH function!
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidentally, the reason I wanted the Munich so much was because of Peter's interest in the original Bayerisches sword. Though not a Museum Line sword, the Munich's blade is a pretty precise copy of that one, and Peter had nothing but good things to say about the original.

One of the reasons I want to hold off on the Munich is the fact that a future museum line version will be offerred:

From Albion:

Quote:
This sword is inspired by the beautiful long sword in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum in Munich, Germany, that Peter Johnsson has documented thoroughly (an exact recreation of that sword will be a future offering in the Museum Line). Though not as ornate as its inspiration, this sword will share the same general look, feel and performance of that original...

I looked at your thread, and your gothic munich and CF scabbard are amazing. The Museum line is going to have to top the Gothic Munich in all aspects, which seems a bit hard to do...
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most recent is an Albion Brescia Spadona. It's not too bad but I can't get used to the pommel in actual handling. Sure is pretty though! Cool
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice Wilkinson Patent Solid Hilt (i.e. full tang) British Pattern 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword ID'd to Major W.H. Wilkin of the Sherwood Foresters (Nottingham & Derbyshire) Regiment. Wilkin served extensively in the Boer War and World War One. The tang is visible, sandwiched between horn scales and bound with silver wire. The full tang construction enhances the balance of this sword compared to others with normal tangs.

A photo of Wilkin courtesy of the Worcester and Sherwood Foresters Regimental Museum:

Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I finally received my Darksword Armory Squire Sword and Elf Dagger! Huzzah!
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My customized A&A Dürer. An enjoyable project (and a fast one, for once). This will be my last high-end sword for a long time, I'm afraid. I've traded away almost all of my Windlass pieces to reduce my collection down to just a few nice pieces of arms and armour. Might make some knives or convert my proto-mortuary sword to a 15th c. German rugger. There are some other little projects on the horizon.

Attachment: 146.01 KB
download.jpeg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chuck Brantley

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a beautiful piece. I've been so close so many times to ordering the Discerner. I may have to do the payment plan with Albion to do it.
Alexander Spiridonov

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hollow pommel of my sword was silvered. Cross-guard was silvered too.

Attachment: 40.36 KB
verh.JPG

Attachment: 71.79 KB
[ Download ]
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander, looks like a great piece. May I ask where you got it?
Thanks,
Dan
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been wanting two specific swords, a Del Tin 5155 and a Sal D'aquila Musashi (www.pointgallery.com) for years now, and I got really lucky last April-I bought them both off ebay within 2 weeks of each other! Big Grin
"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited by Bill Love on Mon 28 Jul, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Love wrote:
I've been wanting two specific swords, a Del Tin 5155 and a Sal D'aquila Mushashi (www.pointgallery.com) for years now, and I got really lucky last April-I bought them both off ebay within 2 weeks of each other! Big Grin

Highlander lives! I had long been attracted to the Del Tin and then traded my way into a 5157 a few years ago. the 5155 must be a wonderfully quick sword, as the larger one is no slouch at all.

My last was kind of an ealry birthday present a couple of months ago and was mostly that I knew I would be wanting one eventually. An Ames 1864 dated nco sword. it is kind of the later end of these spadroons I am looking to acquire a range of.. I may end up with more early ones from about the 1750s on and may yet buy one of the later French ones with a T section blade.

Cheers

GC
Alexander Spiridonov

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Alexander, looks like a great piece. May I ask where you got it?
Thanks,
Dan

It was made by Dmitri Korovkin.
Jody A

Reading list: 65 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought some of you might like to see my latest acquisition - a scabbard made for my NG Knight by Christian Fletcher. Its a beauty, and includes a raised Christian cross at the throat and an etched cross fleury in the chape. Christian made it just like I wanted it, only better. Hope you like it.

Attachment: 30.42 KB
Jody's scabbard 6.jpg

Attachment: 45.48 KB
Jody's scabbard 7.jpg

Attachment: 62.74 KB
Jody's scabbard 8.jpg

QUI FALSITATE VIVIT, ANIMAM OCCIDIT. FALSUS IN ORE, CARET HONORE.
"Who lives in falsehood slays his soul, whose speech is false, his honour".
Inscription on type XII dated 1040-60 (Records, Oakeshott)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 19 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: