Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
T Lui

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
I got another one of these:

And I want one more, if anyone is selling.

Now that is a handsome sword. That's your second and you want a third? Methinks I oughta order one of my own if Albion ever has another sale in the near future before all the Brescias are snapped up. Big Grin
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Oakeshott with red grip bought in the classifieds here from Mr. McHugh. I have been wanting to get either an Albion Oakeshott or Chevalier for awhile and there it was in the classifieds. Couldn't pass it up as Eric is the best to deal with!

This Xa sword is far more lively than I would have thought looking head on at pictures of it. Between the thin section and the hollowgrind, it is a very light and lively sword for its profile and length. To me, this is just a classic 12th c knightly sword for use on horse or foot. Plenty of room for a second hand on upper part of the grip and pommel too. I have had this out of the box for one hour and am already really loving it. tr
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom I have handled an Oakeshott twice and as I said to Harlan at Albion, it made my Knight feel like a brick by comparism, and saying that, the Knight is an excellent and lively sword.

An Oakeshott or Chevalier is third on my list of Albions to get so it is probably at least a couple of years away (if at all).

I am torn on deciding between the looks of the Chevalier or the ergonomics of the Oakeshott's pommel.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T Lui wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
I got another one of these:

And I want one more, if anyone is selling.

Now that is a handsome sword. That's your second and you want a third? Methinks I oughta order one of my own if Albion ever has another sale in the near future before all the Brescias are snapped up. Big Grin

The idea that they will one day stop making this amazing sword fills me with dread.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
My latest. A fine early 20th century epee 'dueling sword'

It isn't a recent purchase, so I won't show it here, but I have an old Italian grip epee. Any chance you could help me date it?

Jim
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Spanjer wrote:
Interesting tip. Would there have been something over it? It looks almost like the end on a modern foil, only without the rubber tip.

Yes. One would have either had the choice of attaching a tip made of leather or rubber, or one could have chosen to use a point d'arret "stop point."
http://www.rockwellclassicalfencing.com/point-d39arr39.html
Naythan Goron

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my windlass Sword of Cortenuova last week been too busy cutting up water bottles to post it up Big Grin
Overall Length: 38 1/8'' Blade: 31 7/8''
Weight: 3 lb dead on
P.O.B.: 4-1/4"
Grip Length: 3 15/16''

Attachment: 216.14 KB
[ Download ]

times come and go but the blacksmith's spirit will live on.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Albion Brescia Spadona, and immediately determined upon arrival it was my new favorite sword. So I decided to take some pictures along with my second favorite sword, the Albion Munich.

Enjoy!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
I recently acquired a Albion Brescia Spadona, and immediately determined upon arrival it was my new favorite sword. So I decided to take some pictures along with my second favorite sword, the Albion Munich.

Brian-

Those two are way up there on my list, too. I want both... very badly.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank's Nathan.

The Brescia Spadona is one of those rare sword's that you can believe everything you read about it. It is an incredible sword that is a pleasure to hold.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its funny how that works because I really did not like the Bresica when I played with it. Munich was fine but ultimately I sold mine. Regent, Earl, Landgaf the same. All great but all left the collection for some little reaon of another. I actually find that I'm liking the simplicity of the Ringeck I have which in turn is leading me to look more and more at the Fiore without the waisted grip (I really LOVE the look of waisted grips but I'm finding that they sometimes annoy me with their size).

Funny thing how preference goes because I really thought I'd like the Bresica until I got to play with it. Even funnier thing I suppose, is tht the way things go, if I played with it now I'd probably like it! Eek!

Goes to show how individual this hobby really can be. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:

Enjoy!

Absolutely gorgeous. I really like those swords as well. I haven't had as much opportunity to handle the Brescia Spadona, so my memory's less reliable on that one. But I know I love the feel of the Munich. I'd love to get one of those eventually. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Last Sword Hmmmmmm         Reply with quote

The last sword I buy will be the one my wife kills me with since she is not understanding of my affliction for these things which is why I have to limit my expenditures to the more cheaply made variety. That being said the last sword I did buy was a Lakonian from Scorpion Archery and Bow. This a rather beefy affair which weighs 2 lbs 15 oz for 19.75 inches length of steel. It is more like a heavy thrusting ax if that makes sense for it is thick about 3/8 of an inch to hazard a guess. Built for punching through bronze armor which it appears thoroughly capable.

Attachment: 201.91 KB
Spartan 001.jpg

To Study The Edge of History

Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Thu 11 Mar, 2010 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanwei Mortuary Hilt. I got the next to last one left since it is now discontinued.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My collection.
*Durer style, (Oakeshott Type XVIII, pommel J1, cross 12)

*from Paczkow, Uppersilesia, 13th century (XII, E, 6)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4548/zw1m.jpg

*Sabre from Masovia Museum in Plock

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7802/21421554.jpg
Neil Gagel

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, that Munich is a thing of beauty! Dang, now I'm gonna have to start saving up again. Happy

The last sword I purchased was one of those Hanwei-Tinker-Pearce Longsword. Unfortuantely I got one of the earlier production runs that had a bit of a dull edge, but hey, nothing a lil' bit of sharpening can't fix. Other than that, it's great. Tough blade, light and fast, nice satin finish on it...
Thom R.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My, a package from Scotland for me on St Pats! Now that is auspicious timing!

Armour Class Diamond Hilt with both sharp and rebated blades. I am impressed with the craftsmanship on this basket! Nice fluted bars, welds are nigh invisible, nicely done sharkskin and wire grip, lovely. I ordered the satin finish and it looks just right to me, not too polished, not to rough. I asked for interchangeable sharp and re-enactment blades and so Iain made a nut for me that is just like the kind of tang button you would see on a 19th c blade. Definitely worth the wait!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Thom-

That basket does look nice. I've always liked the look of their baskets.

Thom R. wrote:
Definitely worth the wait!

How long did it take?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thom R.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Mar, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan! I have always really liked this particular Walter Allen design. It is a basket design that I find both highly functional at protecting the hand and stylish at the same time. The basket is the right size and based on measurements of the original. When I contacted Armour Class last year the wait was 24-26 weeks, but in the end I think it took 20 so for the first time in awhile I had a swordmaker under promise and over deliver! Happy . I paid half up front and when the sword was very close to being finished they asked me for the balance. Although the 8-9 hour time difference makes it a bit tricky to chat on the phone communication via email was great and always timely. I am very happy with this one. TR
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Mar, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sword, Thom! Can you tell me what the weight is (with the sharp blade), and how it handles? Thanks!
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 39 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: